Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Crypto according to Swaye

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
I know absolutely nothing about crypto or crypto markets. That said, I do know when everyone you know, who generally also know nothing about anything, are buying any investment asset because "everyone is doing it," it rarely ends well. Like Tech Stocks in 1999. There is probably a long term market for crypto, but I think these crazy breakneck bull market runs as everyone just pours money in is a loser of a strategy. Like the IPO Tech Game of the late 90's, this will all need a good crash and burn cleansing before coming back stronger in the future. The forest must burn to make itself healthier.

I'm keeping my money in my sock drawer. Half the people I know, most of whom know nothing about investing, have bought bitcoin in the last month. That cannot be a good thing. My 75 year old mother called yesterday to ask if she should buy Bitcoin. Put a fork in it for now.

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    It sounds gay imo
  • Options
    Founders Club

It sounds gay imo

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Blu82 said:

Swaye said:

I know absolutely nothing about crypto or crypto markets. That said, I do know when everyone you know, who generally also know nothing about anything, are buying any investment asset because "everyone is doing it," it rarely ends well. Like Tech Stocks in 1999. There is probably a long term market for crypto, but I think these crazy breakneck bull market runs as everyone just pours money in is a loser of a strategy. Like the IPO Tech Game of the late 90's, this will all need a good crash and burn cleansing before coming back stronger in the future. The forest must burn to make itself healthier.

I'm keeping my money in my sock drawer. Half the people I know, most of whom know nothing about investing, have bought bitcoin in the last month. That cannot be a good thing. My 75 year old mother called yesterday to ask if she should buy Bitcoin. Put a fork in it for now.

I would not dare reach into that sock drawer.
    Good call.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Blu82 said:

Swaye said:

I would not dare reach into that sock drawer.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2021
    I know absolutely nothing about crypto but I bought 45k dogecoin at .013. I’ve made just over 10k. Better lucky than smart
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,831
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know absolutely nothing about crypto but I bought 45k dogecoin at .013. I’ve made just over 10k. Better lucky than smart

Shut up sonics.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Shut up sonics.
    I didn’t make my money from drugs! I made it from door dash!
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Who the hell let btp in here
  • Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Just read @creepycoug for the Bitcoin Bros thread so I am responding to mine. Point was brought up about taking a small position as a hedge against the USD. I can get behind that position after thinking on it a bit. I think the train has already left the station for "winning big" on Bitcoin. But, as a hedge, with a small portion of your portfolio, not a bad play. I also like @Baseman smart play to bet the market mover, not the vehicle. That seems a reasonable play no matter what happens. If it crashes people still have to pay to get out. If it doesn't, they keep buying. Wins either way.

I stick to my guns I think the crypto market is severely juiced right now. Hedge sure. Invest in the market maker. Sure. Think you are going to get rich now at these prices with my 75 year old mother thinking of getting in? Um, unlikely.

I own and manage a fireworks stand so I know what I am talking about.

This is the right take and always how I have approached putting money in to crypto.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,086
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I plunked down $500 on Dogecoin. That was .37 cents. Sold it at .49. Decided it wasn’t for me.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,170
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Warren stepped into a shitshow with this. Don't piss off the Bitcoin Bros

Figured it belongs in a @Swaye thread
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Warren stepped into a shitshow with this. Don't piss off the Bitcoin Bros

Figured it belongs in a @Swaye thread
    Without watching the clip and just going off the headline, she's not wrong. It's an insane amount of energy to waste on something.