Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Can Someone Explain "Wallets" Please?

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
For those of us who need the help.

Comments

• Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_wallet

This is actually a pretty good source.

A digital wallet also known as "e-Wallet" is an electronic device, online service, or software program that allows one party to make electronic transactions with another party bartering digital currency units for goods and services. This can include purchasing items on-line with a computer or using a smartphone to purchase something at a store. Money can be deposited in the digital wallet prior to any transactions or, in other cases, an individual's bank account can be linked to the digital wallet. Users might also have their driver's license, health card, loyalty card(s) and other ID documents stored within the wallet. The credentials can be passed to a merchant's terminal wirelessly via near field communication (NFC). Increasingly, digital wallets are being made not just for basic financial transactions but to also authenticate the holder's credentials. For example, a digital wallet could verify the age of the buyer to the store while purchasing alcohol. The system has already gained popularity in Japan, where digital wallets are known as "wallet mobiles".[1] A cryptocurrency wallet is a digital wallet where private keys are stored for cryptocurrencies like bitcoin.

There are two types of digital wallets: hot wallets and cold wallets. Hot wallets are connected to the internet while cold wallets are not. Most digital wallet holders hold both a hot wallet and a cold wallet. Hot wallets are most often used to make quick payments, while a cold wallet is generally used for storing and holding your money, and has no connection to the internet.[citation needed] Another difference that is apparent when comparing the types of digital wallets, or e-Wallets, is the price. While most hot wallets are free, cold wallets can be expensive.[citation needed]

_______

I think one of the more important things to realize is that while many wallets are used to store crypto, others can have other applications like you'll see on your phone, where it stores info for passes (boarding passes, gym passes, etc.), credit cards, and other info unique to you
  • Options
    Very helpful, thanks. So like the Apple Wallet on my phone.

Is a crypto wallet a hot or cold wallet? Or is it an entirely specialized wallet?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,787
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fuck having some psychotic nerd tracking my finances
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Very helpful, thanks. So like the Apple Wallet on my phone.

Is a crypto wallet a hot or cold wallet? Or is it an entirely specialized wallet?

Both. There are hot software wallets on mobile phone, pc, or web application where the private keys are stored, and there are cold wallets like Ledger or Trezor that are USB devices that hold the private keys and have a software application on the PC they interface with. I like the cold wallet so I don’t have to worry about my laptop crashing or getting stolen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you really want to understand wallets, understanding public and private keys is helpful. I think people generally underestimate how ubiquitous encryption is these days.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,440
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sources said:

If you really want to understand wallets, understanding public and private keys is helpful. I think people generally underestimate how ubiquitous encryption is these days.

Do not use them. The end.
  • Options
    haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

I trust @haie . Q: do you have to have a wallet to buy crypto? Or are the trading platforms otherwise available?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021

haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

I trust @haie . Q: do you have to have a wallet to buy crypto? Or are the trading platforms otherwise available?
    Thought you meant Apple Pay kind of wallets.

I understand block chain but do not mess with crypto atm.

Like the above poster said, if crypto wallets just go off of RSA or some other private/public set up, that is a decent starting point. Tons of articles explain that really well.

My general thought was to not trust mobile app security and have as few apps installed as possible. It's not that security isn't implemented correctly initially so much as irresponsible/constant changes in software are not worth the convenience of most apps.

As to your actual question I would use Coinbase assuming they have a web app you can use on a desktop.

Guess I should read the thread next time.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Sounds like a bunch of voodoo shit to me
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    haie said:

haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

Like the above poster said, if crypto wallets just go off of RSA or some other private/public set up, that is a decent starting point. Tons of articles explain that really well.

My general thought was to not trust mobile app security and have as few apps installed as possible. It's not that security isn't implemented correctly initially so much as irresponsible/constant changes in software are not worth the convenience of most apps.

As to your actual question I would use Coinbase assuming they have a web app you can use on a desktop.

I was at a bar on Sunday and some dude was chatting me up about how he's all into crypto. So we got to talking and I was bitching about how our company pays cheap and he's like how much? Then he asked me for a job lol

That's what I think of crypto bros.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021

haie said:

haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

I was at a bar on Sunday and some dude was chatting me up about how he's all into crypto. So we got to talking and I was bitching about how our company pays cheap and he's like how much? Then he asked me for a job lol

This week, I just fired a 20 year .NET dev who commanded 92k. We are being cool and are trying to get him his old job back, but still.

Work or fuck off.

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

This week, I just fired a 20 year .NET dev who commanded 92k. We are being cool and are trying to get him his old job back, but still.

Work or fuck off.

What does commanded 92k mean? That's their salary?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

Work or fuck off.

What does commanded 92k mean? That's their salary?
    We matched his previous employer, who was apparently doing shitty and having to cut across their company.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    I don't think people making $92k are "commanding" anything.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's correct. He was a friend of our VP so I wasn't allowed to give him any kind of an aptitude test. We are trying to get him his old job back.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

That's correct. He was a friend of our VP so I wasn't allowed to give him any kind of an aptitude test. We are trying to get him his old job back.
    If I was making less than 100k after 20 years (let alone as a dev), I wouldn't want to work either. Entry level FAANG in the Bay is easily over 150k plus equity.
  • Options
    Sources said:

haie said:

If I was making less than 100k after 20 years (let alone as a dev), I wouldn't want to work either. Entry level FAANG in the Bay is easily over 150k plus equity.
    True, but one fiddy in the Bay is like poverty level.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

haie said:

haie said:

Sources said:

@haie

Yeah, but the breakroom fridge is always stocked with White Claw, so quit your bitching.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I put condoms in mine. Then don't use them.