Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Goodbye Gas Guzzlers!

13»

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Was just talking about this issue yesterday in relation to CA and their 2035 mandate to ban new gas vehicles. WA State and Inslee going full-retard is not surprising.

The infrastructure is not anywhere ready to handle an electric vehicle grid and won't be close in 9 years because "government." Probably more important than that, though, is that there are nowhere close to enough reasonable options for people to buy EV's for less than $40k and that isn't going to change by 2030. EV's are still less than 2% of total market share for new vehicle sales.

Personally, I think EV's are still 15-20 years away from being cost-effective replacements for gas-powered vehicles. More than likely in 2028 or 2029 the legislature will be forced to push this back when reality sinks in.

Can an EV even make it from Seattle to, say, Spokane on one charge?

I don't see how the internal combustion engine is going to be replaced until they can solve for the issue of limited range.
    Long-range Tesla's can make it. New Ford Mach-E can barely get there if you get the long-range version that starts at over $50k. There's no selection of inventory to choose from to do day-trip drives because you gotta get there AND back. And the charging without a high-voltage system installed at home (another expense) is excruciatingly slow (eg, Ford Mach-E is 3 miles of charging per hour on a 120v plug).

Laws like this are aspirational bullshit right now. There is zero math/logic that says the market and consumers are ready to go all-electric in 9 years.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

Just another reason to reduce my footprint eventually and move somewhere with a true abundance of golf courses

North Carolina probably has the best combination of good golf, year round weather and sane government.
    That’s not lost on me
  • Options

Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

Just another reason to reduce my footprint eventually and move somewhere with a true abundance of golf courses

North Carolina probably has the best combination of good golf, year round weather and sane government.
    South Carolina ain’t bad either.
    Humidity is a bitch
  • Options

Was just talking about this issue yesterday in relation to CA and their 2035 mandate to ban new gas vehicles. WA State and Inslee going full-retard is not surprising.

The infrastructure is not anywhere ready to handle an electric vehicle grid and won't be close in 9 years because "government." Probably more important than that, though, is that there are nowhere close to enough reasonable options for people to buy EV's for less than $40k and that isn't going to change by 2030. EV's are still less than 2% of total market share for new vehicle sales.

Personally, I think EV's are still 15-20 years away from being cost-effective replacements for gas-powered vehicles. More than likely in 2028 or 2029 the legislature will be forced to push this back when reality sinks in.

I don't see how the internal combustion engine is going to be replaced until they can solve for the issue of limited range.
    My biggest issue with the EV and you can’t tell me that I need to wait an obscene amount of time to charge my vehicle to full capacity

As someone that regularly makes decent sized drives (to/from Texas last year as an example) ... the current limitations to EVs are non starters for me at present
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The solution that seems to make (more) sense are modular batteries that swapped for fully charged units instead waiting. But that entails it’s own challenges.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,394
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

That’s not lost on me
    Not sure where you are thinking of moving to NC, but it is not a year round golf destination. Got to move further South.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

South Carolina ain’t bad either.
    Humidity is a bitch
    Humidity is fucked anywhere outside the high desert/mountain time zone when it gets hot enough.

NC is just as humid in the summer as anywhere else on the eastern seaboard. Spend time in DC or Ballmer in the summer and you'll sweat your balls off.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,064
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

The solution that seems to make (more) sense are modular batteries that swapped for fully charged units instead waiting. But that entails it’s own challenges.

The propane tank business model basically. Just don’t see it can work economically for the general retail fuel economy. Envision a scenario where trillions are invested to update infrastructure for EV as we know them today and then a technology that is obviously economically viable actually reveals itself and have to scrap all the EV charging stations.

That’s why you should wait for the free market replacement that can support itself without the crazy infrastructure spend. It’ll get here faster without a forced EV craze mandated by government that will bog us down.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

My biggest issue with the EV and you can’t tell me that I need to wait an obscene amount of time to charge my vehicle to full capacity

As someone that regularly makes decent sized drives (to/from Texas last year as an example) ... the current limitations to EVs are non starters for me at present
    Pretty simple. You won’t be taking those trips anymore. Get it, yet?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,004
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The green new deal is just a watermelon.

Green on the outside but RED on the inside.