Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Godawgst what do you like?

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited April 2021
    Baseman said:

whlinder said:

Yo Base,
    Am I missing something between the makeup of QQQ/QQQM and a generic index fund? Like FNILX/FZROX has no fees or expenses and the top holdings are pretty similar to QQQ.

Just curious since I am all after avoiding fees since those fractional percentages are a serious impact over the decades.

The Fidelity products are funds. QQQ/QQQM are ETFs which behave like stocks you can buy or sell at the spot price anytime, when the market is open or after hours. You have less control with funds. When you enter a buy/sell order you receive the settlement price at the end of the day.

I use limit order buy/sell: when a price reaches a specific price, buy this, sell that. You can't do that with a fund. You're taking market risk.

FNILX holds 525 stocks, and appears closer to the SP500. QQQ is compromised of the top 100 Nasdaq companies.

QQQ trounced VOO (Vanguard's SP500 ETF) the last 10 years. Obligatory: Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

I prefer the flexibility over the difference in fees

Good summary. ETFs are the shit. In DC plans you’re typically limited to funds and it’s hard to be precise in your buy/sell activity.

Outside of DC I don’t own a single fund.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021

@godawgst

What’s driving the home generator froth? Is there an impending natural disaster I’ve not been told about? Is this the Texas freeze acting out in consumer behavior?

The new normal of seasonal brownouts in California [and other locations around the country] for one... PGE in California now has a standing policy of scheduled rotating brownouts that can last for days as a result of something previously thought to be a normal occurrence ~ high temperatures coupled with low humidity and higher winds, which is often a precursor to the potential of rapidly spreading fires... the "new normal" of utilities as they try to handle unusual hot / cold and disaster patterns has given people a new reason to consider setting up a more formal permanent installation alternative energy approach. The most popular ones are the pricey $4-5,000 natural gas powered units which are relatively quiet and are designed for use for longer periods of time as compared to the yesterday style Honda gasoline powered short term use beauties.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

@godawgst

What’s driving the home generator froth? Is there an impending natural disaster I’ve not been told about? Is this the Texas freeze acting out in consumer behavior?

The new normal of seasonal brownouts in California [and other locations around the country] for one... PGE in California now has a standing policy of scheduled rotating brownouts that can last for days as a result of something previously thought to be a normal occurrence ~ high temperatures coupled with low humidity and higher winds, which is often a precursor to the potential of rapidly spreading fires... the "new normal" of utilities as they try to handle unusual hot / cold and disaster patterns has given people a new reason to consider setting up a more formal permanent installation alternative energy approach. The most popular ones are the pricey $4-5,000 natural gas powered units which are relatively quiet and are designed for use for longer periods of time as compared to the yesterday style Honda gasoline powered short term use beauties.
    Pad Mount Generators that you can run most of you house with along with transfer switches that automatically switch your power from utility to generators include install are around 8k. Cost of a new home is 350k so it only adds 2.5% to the total cost.

People look at it as insurance. You don't need it until you do.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021
    @godawgst @creepycoug yah, exactly, you are into it for another 3 thousand or so to have the electrician come by and create the second panel that is the emergency panel that contains the most desired functions that you can employ by flipping the A/B switch...
  • Options

@godawgst

I guess there are advantages to living in the PNW. We deal with some shit, but the lights come on when you flip the switch up here.
  • Options
    godawgst said:

@godawgst

Pad Mount Generators that you can run most of you house with along with transfer switches that automatically switch your power from utility to generators include install are around 8k. Cost of a new home is 350k so it only adds 2.5% to the total cost.

People look at it as insurance. You don't need it until you do.

I actually like that idea, especially the version that @DawgsCanDance described: hooked up to my natural gas. I don't have to have tons of gasoline lying around the house and put up with the noise of a regular gas-powered generator. Like I said, of the problems associated with living the PNW, losing power often is not one of them. But when it does happen, it sucks.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021
    Yep @creepycoug, the buzz is to hook up to Propane because it can be stored in the large tanks on the property, is not subject to deterioration like gasoline, and is also not subject to disruption due to electrical grid blackout. Even the local natural gas distributor pipeline flow may be disrupted by electrical grid blackout ~ not likely, but possible.