Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2021]

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

@Beno4Life @RoadDawg55 so what is your take on the running back situation... Davis is fast, fluid and has great hands... is he our starter or do we have the 5 headed beast again with no clear route to continuity...

Not those guys but it's pretty likely going to be another 4 RB rotation thing again. Wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 RBs sell the couch after spring practice is over.
    Who’d be appraising the sofa? #MyDick?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@Beno4Life @RoadDawg55 so what is your take on the running back situation... Davis is fast, fluid and has great hands... is he our starter or do we have the 5 headed beast again with no clear route to continuity...

Not those guys but it's pretty likely going to be another 4 RB rotation thing again. Wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 RBs sell the couch after spring practice is over.
    Colombian could be a feature back at Montana. Dick and Ozzy could tear shit up.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,574
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021

Yah @bananasnblondes , I'm concerned about that... don't want to lose the one kid that I think really stands out and could be our best back in years... I like the rest of these guys ~ they are all good players, but don't want to see Davis heading out the door to see him go somewhere that believes in him and then watch him blow up the score board.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021

I hate TB by committee and there are too many backs at UW that don't really distinguish themselves. Newton, Mac, and Pleasant are all in the way of guys with more potential getting adequate carries to get rolling.

If Davis isn't good enough to move ahead of that mediocre competition to be a feature back then maybe he's the likely couch sale.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,563
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Newton has the ability to be a featured back. People writing him off for no reason
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,982
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Newton has the ability to be a featured back. People writing him off for no reason

He hasn’t done shit. His twisting and spinning doesn’t get him many yards once people get their hands on him. If he completely changes his running style to be more punishing maybe there is something there. But I am going guess not.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

No I write hom off for actual reasons. I could be wrong and won't regret it one bit if I am, but I think Newton is mostly hot air and symbolic "fury" as a runner that doesn't really gain much.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I hate TB by committee and there are too many backs at UW that don't really distinguish themselves. Newton, Mac, and Pleasant are all in the way of guys with more potential getting adequate carries to get rolling.

If Davis isn't good enough to move ahead of that mediocre competition to be a feature back then maybe he's the likely couch sale.
    People on here were begging to give McGrew the ball more last year because he was fucking shredding. I agree about Pleasant and Newton, but My Little Sean, no.

Davis, McGrew, and Sunday would be my ideal.
    McGrew does really well with what he's got, which is just decent quickness and speed and good toughness for his size. He's the one guy who seems like the one guy who can come in cold and make plays. He's a great sub.

The problem isn't that any of them suck. They're all pretty good including Newton. I just see it as a log jam that's preventing anyone from seizing the job. I think a couple of them, namely Davis and Sunday, could be a notch above but we're not going to find out for another year because of the way the staff uses them.

I'm just speculating about Davis and Sunday to an extent. I want to see a back get 20 carries per game. Maybe it should be someone else, but I don't think so.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

People on here were begging to give McGrew the ball more last year because he was fucking shredding. I agree about Pleasant and Newton, but My Little Sean, no.

Mine too. Thing is that I like what Pleasant has to offer too and am reluctant to give up on him. It's just too many fucking backs to play them all.
  • Options

chuck said:

You got the dude from Michigan to play that role now
    Legt McGrew go get paid. He can put up big numbers at a lower tier school
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    chuck said:

chuck said:

McGrew does really well with what he's got, which is just decent quickness and speed and good toughness for his size. He's the one guy who seems like the one guy who can come in cold and make plays. He's a great sub.

The problem isn't that any of them suck. They're all pretty good including Newton. I just see it as a log jam that's preventing anyone from seizing the job. I think a couple of them, namely Davis and Sunday, could be a notch above but we're not going to find out for another year because of the way the staff uses them.

I'm just speculating about Davis and Sunday to an extent. I want to see a back get 20 carries per game. Maybe it should be someone else, but I don't think so.
    I generally agree. Our RB rotation has been nonsensical since Gaskin. We get way too cute with substitutions and instead of surprising the defense with a variety of backs, we instead fail to establish any sort of rhythm in the run game. I think we legitimately have 4-5 guys who would all be effective lead backs, we just need to stick with one of them to get 80% of the carries. RBCs suck.
  • Options
    HarbaughKhakisHarbaughKhakis Member Posts: 104
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Observations from Saturday

The good
    Pass rush looks solid
    Secondary locks shit down
    RB’s all look like they can get it done

The bad...
    Still concerned about the rush D especially in GL situations.
    WR’s getting owned. No alphas. We are bad here.
    Maybe a year or two we will be ok but rn these dudes have zero shot against our secondary and I fear this will hold us back. Get ready for the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense again

Huard is gonna be a 2 and portal. I don’t see it at all
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,118
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021

chuck said:

"The dude from Michigan" just so happens to be a wide receiver.

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021

Like Chuck, I hate the committee too. I’m fine with two backs splitting carries and even a third guy can get his 2-5 touches, but guys need to be able to get in a rhythm and rotating all the time doesn’t let guys do that.

Don’t agree on Davis. I’m not brb, jo over his ten career carries, but he’s still a R-Fr and even if he is the odd man out this year, he could very well be 1A or 1B at RB next year.

Agree with Ern that McGrew more than likely deserves a role. I hope Pleasant isn’t #2. We need Newton, Davis, or Sunday to be that guy. Outside chance of Berry. One of those four is the bell cow and if not, Boner fucking sucks for his recruiting and lack of development.

Sam Adams needs to get moved to defense or transfer. We all know he’s not doing shit at RB. Or at least you should. Take all the screenshots you need. But he’s a 4 star! He wasn’t even Eastside Catholic’s stud RB.

McGrew should get the lion share of carries until he proves he can't produce. Pleasant is, and always was, a JAG. The biggest back and that's all. Hi @Balls_Deep !

Two styles of RB: those that run through contact or avoid it. Then there's Newton who runs to contact. I hoped he would develop into a 20 cpg feature back. He's not. Short yardage only.

Davis might be good but hasn't done enough to unseat McGrew.

I agree on Adams. Never liked him as a RB. He's a safety, possibly a WIL. He preferred OSU and tried committing on his visit, but they wouldn't take it. He's not a winning P5 RB. OSU considered him a fringe S. He prefers RB, at least he did.

Unless Sunday or Berry separate themselves, they should sit unless McGrew or Davis don't produce
  • Options

chuck said:

So was Chico...
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,118
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021

chuck said:

So was Chico...
    Chico didn't play McGrew's position either. What the fuck are you blathering about? It's clearly something about height-challenged people, but fuck if I know.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,905
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Based on Eklund's thread on the practice it sounds like a dozen+ guys are not participating today.