Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Slight Correction of Georgia Election laws from AJC

georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,571
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Simple mix up. Could have happened to anyone..

Comments

• Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Anyone watching MSNBC or CNN still believes the narrative is that this law aims to restrict voting for non-whites. There couldn't possibly be another explanation.
  • Options
    hardhat said:

Anyone watching MSNBC or CNN still believes the narrative is that this law aims to restrict voting for non-whites. There couldn't possibly be another explanation.
    Did that hurt your feelings @MelloDawg ?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,322
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think major league baseball looks pretty stupid now but thankfully no one will notice because NOGAF about baseball
  • Options

I think major league baseball looks pretty stupid now but thankfully no one will notice because NOGAF about baseball

Everyone is dead from covid in Georgia anyway
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I feel like I need to read this Georgia bill in it’s entirety ... but very clear that MLB felt the peer pressure

Manfred is pretty much the worst pro sports commish by a wide margin ... and that was well before this announcement
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So did MLB move Atlanta Braves games to another state? if no - what a bunch of pussies

Is the NCAA(P) going to pull football out of Georgia? the NFL, what about Delta? is the airport still in business?

Where are the bans when we need them?
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,109
    LebamDawg said:

So did MLB move Atlanta Braves games to another state? if no - what a bunch of pussies

Is the NCAA(P) going to pull football out of Georgia? the NFL, what about Delta? is the airport still in business?

How would they be legally capable of doing that?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,902
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

I feel like I need to read this Georgia bill in it’s entirety ... but very clear that MLB felt the peer pressure

Manfred is pretty much the worst pro sports commish by a wide margin ... and that was well before this announcement

Pretty much leaves the All-Star game in Blue States. Since I gave up on MLB about 30 years ago, phuck em.
  • Options
    You can count on the game going to Milwaukee under the guise of celebrating Hank Aaron

Below the radar reason is that the Brewers are the team of Commissioner Emeritus Bud Selig ... but surely no conflict of interest there
  • Options
    LebamDawg said:

It’s all about selective PR optics

What exactly did the Braves as an organization have to do with the bill that was passed? What could they have done differently?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,902
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

LebamDawg said:

What exactly did the Braves as an organization have to do with the bill that was passed? What could they have done differently?
    Just more phucking virtue signaling reacting to the woke folk that hate major league sports anyway.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

LebamDawg said:

Just more phucking virtue signaling reacting to the woke folk that hate major league sports anyway.
    You will never be able to go far enough to satisfy those that virtue signal ... once you show them that you will jump at their wishes they’ll never find themselves satisfied
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2021
    hardhat said:

They are just the mouthpieces for the Rat party. They aren’t saying anything not being said by every elected Rat including Biden, Harris, Pelosi and Schumer
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The truly shitty part is when you show the actual facts of the bill, libs still don't care. Any reason to call a conservative "Racist" and throw out "Jim Crow" when it doesn't apply. Still waiting for CNN with the live fact checking. It's almost as if they don't care when the facts they like are in power.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The truly shitty part is when you show the actual facts of the bill, libs still don't care. Any reason to call a conservative "Racist" and throw out "Jim Crow" when it doesn't apply. Still waiting for CNN with the live fact checking. It's almost as if they don't care when the facts they like are in power.

From what I can tell about the bill ...

There’s a desire to ensure that the individual that voted is actually the person they say that they are ... a position that a majority of Americans agree with and have for a long period of time

Ensuring that to receive an absentee ballot that the individual voter requests the ballot vs everybody getting mailed one without requesting it ... I suspect this is aimed at ensuring one vote for each voter versus ballot harvesting (as an aside I’d love to know what controls we have in place with elections to audit against - particularly real time - to ensure for instance that I don’t vote not only with my absentee ballot but also in person on Election Day?)

Limiting the hours of drop boxes to be consistent with the same times as early voting is open ... effectively it appears to be aimed at ensuring the presence of someone to verify that the individual dropping off the ballot matches the individual voter

Restricting distributing food/drink to those standing in line ... I have to think this is designed to prevent against appearances of impropriety

The hours on the drop box probably aren’t needed. That could be replaced quickly by saying anybody that requests an absentee ballot is ineligible to vote directly at a ballot/voting location. The food/drink thing is kinda stupid but at the same time that’s an easy optic one to fix on a number of levels.

I mean I can see a little bit of the “it’s making it harder to vote” arguments but it seems like twisting to me to make a bigger issue than it is.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

There’s a desire to ensure that the individual that voted is actually the person they say that they are ... a position that a majority of Americans agree with and have for a long period of time

Ensuring that to receive an absentee ballot that the individual voter requests the ballot vs everybody getting mailed one without requesting it ... I suspect this is aimed at ensuring one vote for each voter versus ballot harvesting (as an aside I’d love to know what controls we have in place with elections to audit against - particularly real time - to ensure for instance that I don’t vote not only with my absentee ballot but also in person on Election Day?)

Limiting the hours of drop boxes to be consistent with the same times as early voting is open ... effectively it appears to be aimed at ensuring the presence of someone to verify that the individual dropping off the ballot matches the individual voter

Restricting distributing food/drink to those standing in line ... I have to think this is designed to prevent against appearances of impropriety

The hours on the drop box probably aren’t needed. That could be replaced quickly by saying anybody that requests an absentee ballot is ineligible to vote directly at a ballot/voting location. The food/drink thing is kinda stupid but at the same time that’s an easy optic one to fix on a number of levels.

I mean I can see a little bit of the “it’s making it harder to vote” arguments but it seems like twisting to me to make a bigger issue than it is.

What am I missing?
    They're restricting a person getting food. They're restricting outside groups from handing out food items- there have been issues in the past where groups clad in political gear show up at a poll with pizzas/gift cards etc. That needs to be controlled. If you show up and see a line that will take you ten hours to navigate- turn around and get a snack, get some fluids, call a friend and have them bring you a pizza. The difference between ten hours and ten hours and fifteen minutes is mice nuts.

And you are correct this is twisting the truth to make it seem bigger. Biden's Jim Crow comment, MLB moving the ASG are significantly disproportional to the new laws (which apply to everyone by the way).

This is all a distraction from Biden fucking up kids in cages and situations like Cuomo with his sexual assault allegations/colossal fuck up of senior centers and COVID.

Having votes in Georgia for 25 years I've never once had to wait more than 10-15 minutes. I'm quite sure other places are longer, but the bill allows early and weekend voting. Most importantly, it narrows the time between runoff elections which are insufferable.
  • Options
    That’s good first hand perspective

If people are waiting 10 hours then there are other issues that need to be addressed besides food/drink

And you’re right, groups distributing items give the illusions of impropriety and conflicts of interest. It’s one of those unfortunate realities of life.

From afar it feels to me like the bill as passed was sloppy and left too many instances of low hanging fruit to blow up.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,830
    Tequilla said:

What am I missing?
    The blue koolaid drink.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

What am I missing?
    The blue koolaid drink.
    I’m open to anybody proving anything to me with things like real evidence and facts

I don’t do well with the “because I said so” crowd