Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Spencer Hawes to the Clippers

Good deal for Spencer ... good deal for the Clippers.

Always good to see a right wing professional athlete get paid ... at least you know he won't go pissing it away on his entourage.

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I hope he enjoys the high taxes in Cali.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Disagree Tequilla. That's a lot of money to a back up Center who probably will get about 20 min a game. The Clippers aren't worried about the Luxury tax, but this affects them picking up players in the future. Not a good defender, average rebounder. I bet they will try and play him at PF, but he can't guard a lot of those guys. Maybe the shitty ones, but he will get abused in the playoffs.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Disagree Tequilla. That's a lot of money to a back up Center who probably will get about 20 min a game. The Clippers aren't worried about the Luxury tax, but this affects them picking up players in the future. Not a good defender, average rebounder. I bet they will try and play him at PF, but he can't guard a lot of those guys. Maybe the shitty ones, but he will get abused in the playoffs.

The Clippers had a few problems in this past postseason:

1) Lack of quality big man depth behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan
    2) Difficulty playing Jordan down the stretch of games due to the desire to foul him and lack of offensive game
    3) When Jordan is on the floor, it cogs up the lane for Blake Griffin

Spencer addresses all 3 of those issues.

Signing for the mid-level exception is about right for Spencer if he wanted to play for a good team. He's a skilled big man that will help space the floor for a team that has plenty of options to attack the basket but could use another big that can space.

Defensively, I don't think that it's going to be a huge issue. First, you don't play for Doc Rivers if you don't play defense so I do expect that you'll see him improving defensively. Moreover, the bulk of his minutes will be on the 2nd unit and in an offensive/defensive role with Jordan in the last 6 minutes of the 4th.

This is a good move for the Clippers.

Losing Derek Collison is a very underrated hole for them to replace though.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I like it. Mirror opposite of Jordan but gives them the ammo they need. #MyClippers will be a force next year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla, Jamal Crawford plays for Doc Rivers so save the shit about defense. The Clippers played pretty bad on defense in the playoffs last year.

We will see about Hawes. I bet in a year, they are trying to include him in a deal to get someone else. I don't think he's a guy who can play on a playoff team more than 10-15 minutes.