Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Zone defense is what kills recruiting the most

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Hawes made a good point on KJR yesterday, which may have been made within one of the 30 threads trashing Hopkins, but should be called out in its own thread. No kid wants to play zone defense.

Say anything you want about Hopkins' inability to recruit, and most of it is probably true, but I think his dipshit zone defense is the biggest barrier to recruiting. Who the hell wants to play zone if you're a high level recruit? It doesn't even work with how the modern game is played with most decent teams spacing the floor with shooters.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hawes made a good point on KJR yesterday, which may have been made within one of the 30 threads trashing Hopkins, but should be called out in its own thread. No kid wants to play zone defense.

Say anything you want about Hopkins' inability to recruit, and most of it is probably true, but I think his dipshit zone defense is the biggest barrier to recruiting. Who the hell wants to play zone if you're a high level recruit? It doesn't even work with how the modern game is played with most decent teams spacing the floor with shooters.

I don't follow the game as much but hasn't Syracuse fallen off the map too? For the same reason?
  • Options
    Founders Club

I don't follow the game as much but hasn't Syracuse fallen off the map too? For the same reason?
    No clue if it's entirely due to the zone, Boeheim being a scumbag, or abundance, but per 247 Syracuse's recruiting rankings the past 5 years are:

72nd in 2021
    40th in 2020
    33rd in 2019
    43rd in 2018
    38th in 2017
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Nah, I don't think top recruits care about playing defense at all.

It was just a year ago we got two top 5 recruits to come in and play the zone. Hop's recruiting is bad now, but not being able to develop any type of offense, or develop player's offensive skillsets has been the main issue.

Kids don’t care about defense all that much. I am sure some orospects know they should play man to man. That being said you should recruit a certain kind of athlete to play in the zone. Hakim Warrick types are made for it. You can’t have short guys on the back line.

Syracuse again sits in the sweet 16 this year with a shit offense and subpar recruits. Their defense is hard to figure out for some.

I don’t care if we are a bennet ball, zags, Syracuse west or a full court press type of program. You can win any number of ways. A good coach is the key and we don’t have one.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Hawes played on the AAU circuits and in the league and the guys he came up with now have kids getting at the age of being recruited. He's pretty plugged in and was adamant that the zone scheme harms recruiting. It does make 50% of the game unscoutable, if that's even a word.

Syracuse was 18-9 and finished 8th in their conference. Teams can always have fluke runs in the tournament.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,147
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    There must be truth in this but crootin is probably down because we shat ourselves and finished last for 2 straight years.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Zones have their place but can also be exploited pretty easily by people that no what they are doing

Bigger picture is regardless if defensive scheme you need a roster bought into it
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Zones have their place but can also be exploited pretty easily by people that no what they are doing

Bigger picture is regardless if defensive scheme you need a roster bought into it

I think zones get exploited by teams that are used to that specific zone, though a good 2-3 is tough to beat. The real magic is in the tourney when no one you okay has seen it before. Why Syracuse frequently goes further than their seed