Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sam Huard

Comments

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

There’s 4 general skills a QB can be judged on:
    1) Arm talent
    2) Ability to read defenses and make good decisions
    3) Pocket mobility and not Browsocking under pressure
    4) Ability to take off and run when the defense leaves a lane open

Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are examples of what happens when you’re elite at all 4.

All we know about Sam Huard right now is that he’s elite at #1. High school defenses are bullshit, so it’s impossible to say anything about #2-4 except that he doesn’t have any red flags in those areas.

Sirmon had a red flag at #2. You could probably say that Eason was in the same boat as Huard coming out... but he ended up being questionable at #2, terrible at #3 and 4. Morris is average at #1/#2 but elite at #3.

TL;DR LIPO with Sam Huard cause we don’t know enough yet

Pretty good post but you're either missing accuracy or you've rolled it into arm talent which I think is a separate category.

Sam has like A- arm talent (he can't make some of the throws Eason could) but A++ accuracy which is the massive differentiator between him and basically all the highly rated local QB's of the past 15 years. Nobody else was an A in both:

Locker A+ arm talent D+ accuracy
    Heaps C arm talent A- accuracy
    Eason A+ arm talent C accuracy
    Max Brown fuck if I remember anything about that guy

Sam's accuracy gives him a higher floor than any of them and combined with his arm talent gives him a ceiling higher than any of them aside from maybe Lockner (Jack was absolutely elite at both 3 and 4 on your list and Sam is unlikely to be elite at either though probably pretty good at both).

The real question is what Sam can do in your category 2? Yet given his bloodlines, family resources and the fact he picked Kennedy over the other powers like EC specifically for the QB coaching, I would guess he's at least decent with a real shot at exceptional in that category as well.

If Sam busts it will be the biggest surprise of my 23ish years of TBS'ing.
    I guess I should have defined the difference here. To me arm talent is "what throws can you make" and accuracy is "how frequently can you make them".

Longest td pass in Husky Stadium history
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 487
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Not that I am one to defend Brownsocks, but he really had 2 different careers. Before the shoulder injury at Oregon and after. Before he was elite and after he was average. Affected his accuracy and time in pocket significantly.

As for Huard, I alway thought Jughead Brock and his ilk were overrated. Same opinion of Sam until proven otherwise. And I don’t give a damn about running at QB. No QB should run, except to draw a defender to open a receiver.

Jake was never elite. He may have been above average before the injury (against Oregon State), but that requires the qualifiers of "as a sophomore". He most certainly wasn't elite as a freshman.

The problem with that is we're now talking 6 and a half games which is not only a really small sample but a sample in which he only played one close game (Arizona) and never threw more than 28 passes.

I don't think 6 1/2 games where he averaged 24 passes a game is enough to declare someone "elite".
    Fair enough. Weak arm and all that.

I really want another Cody Pickett. I hope Slingin’ Sammy H. is all that and griiled cheese on the side.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1) Arm talent

Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are examples of what happens when you’re elite at all 4.

All we know about Sam Huard right now is that he’s elite at #1. High school defenses are bullshit, so it’s impossible to say anything about #2-4 except that he doesn’t have any red flags in those areas.

Sirmon had a red flag at #2. You could probably say that Eason was in the same boat as Huard coming out... but he ended up being questionable at #2, terrible at #3 and 4. Morris is average at #1/#2 but elite at #3.

Pretty good post but you're either missing accuracy or you've rolled it into arm talent which I think is a separate category.

Sam has like A- arm talent (he can't make some of the throws Eason could) but A++ accuracy which is the massive differentiator between him and basically all the highly rated local QB's of the past 15 years. Nobody else was an A in both:

Sam's accuracy gives him a higher floor than any of them and combined with his arm talent gives him a ceiling higher than any of them aside from maybe Lockner (Jack was absolutely elite at both 3 and 4 on your list and Sam is unlikely to be elite at either though probably pretty good at both).

The real question is what Sam can do in your category 2? Yet given his bloodlines, family resources and the fact he picked Kennedy over the other powers like EC specifically for the QB coaching, I would guess he's at least decent with a real shot at exceptional in that category as well.

I guess I should have defined the difference here. To me arm talent is "what throws can you make" and accuracy is "how frequently can you make them".

HuskyJW said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1) Arm talent

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2021

dnc said:

Not that I am one to defend Brownsocks, but he really had 2 different careers. Before the shoulder injury at Oregon and after. Before he was elite and after he was average. Affected his accuracy and time in pocket significantly.

As for Huard, I alway thought Jughead Brock and his ilk were overrated. Same opinion of Sam until proven otherwise. And I don’t give a damn about running at QB. No QB should run, except to draw a defender to open a receiver.

Jake was never elite. He may have been above average before the injury (against Oregon State), but that requires the qualifiers of "as a sophomore". He most certainly wasn't elite as a freshman.

The problem with that is we're now talking 6 and a half games which is not only a really small sample but a sample in which he only played one close game (Arizona) and never threw more than 28 passes.

I don't think 6 1/2 games where he averaged 24 passes a game is enough to declare someone "elite".

I really want another Cody Pickett. I hope Slingin’ Sammy H. is all that and griiled cheese on the side.
    Pickett was a pretty good college QB, but nobody should be yearning for another version of him. We need an elite, top 5 in CFB QB, not a Cody Pickett.
    Agree. Picket ran the quick drop, chuck and duck pretty well, but wasn't good on slower plays where pressure came. He also got so focused on throwing to Reggie at times (see UCLA games and sun bowl debacle) that the offense was totally hamstrung.

He was good enough to beat up on bad teams, but didn't have the tools to put the team on his back in a tough game.
  • Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    edited March 2021
    NEsnake12 said:

1) Arm talent

1) Sam has all the arm talent in the world. Not only does he have a cannon, but he's deadly accurate and doesn't lose juice throwing on the run.

2) Yeah not sure about this one yet. A lot of high schools run sorta gimmicky, spread offenses where the QB anticipates players breaking open... Browning was a huge beneficiary of this in high school and Kennedy runs something similar... + their wideout talent is just better. What I do like about his decision making is he anticipates tight windows really well and always puts the ball on a dime when throwing into them.

3) He's got great pocket mobility in my opinion... when he retreats he always tries to stay parallel to the LOS... when Browning or Eason retreated it was always backward because they had horrible lateral agility and couldn't quickly square their hips and shoulders to the LOS on the run... Huard has that ability.

4) Clearly hasn't been his game thus far... he always looks to throw. He was also pretty slight in stature until maybe this year so avoiding taking hits was probably at a premium... but he's got decent wheels and there's no reason he can't learn to take a wide open running lane if it's there and get out of bounds.
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

1) Arm talent

Good list, but you’re missing 5. Toughness and being clutch in big moments and games. Morris so far seems to score high on this one. Not all QBs have this.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    1) Arm talent should include accuracy.

Morris actually has a pretty big arm and I expect him to make a 5-10% improvement in his accuracy (from 60.9% to something like 64-67%) as a 2nd year starter.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,870
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

@ChickenDinnerRoadDawg, true?

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

HFNY said:

1) Arm talent should include accuracy.

Morris actually has a pretty big arm and I expect him to make a 5-10% improvement in his accuracy (from 60.9% to something like 64-67%) as a 2nd year starter.

Morris sucked on anything beyond 15 yards. Could improve though. But that’s what he was this year.
    This. He couldn't hit anything downfield. Had the arm, not the accuracy. Stanford laughed and packed the defense in like they were playing against Cyler Miles.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Whatever happened to he sucks until he dosent?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    FireCohen said:

Whatever happened to he sucks until he dosent?

Nothing's changed with me.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    Standard Supporter
    Sounds like Huard played 2 quarters this weekend. Threw for 444 yards and 6 TDs