Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sam Huard

Comments

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,103
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Huard's film is absolutely fucking gorgeous.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

It's hard for some to understand this, but some of us like projecting players' futures based on what we can see now. It's nice, but unnecessary, of some of you fucktards to remind us that they haven't actually done what we're predicting they will do. That's why it's called a prediction you fucking retards.

I only have a problem with it when the high school predictions turn into excuse making and playing favorites. You gotta stop giving a fuck about their HUDL’s once you watch them play in college games.
    Agree. I do refer to the hudl at times for 2nd year guys who haven't seen the field yet. It would probably be in defense of someone that is being dismissed as a bust. Highlight tape value is diminished quite a bit by that point, but it's still all the video I have to go on. It's a way to estimate their one time potential.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

It's hard for some to understand this, but some of us like projecting players' futures based on what we can see now. It's nice, but unnecessary, of some of you fucktards to remind us that they haven't actually done what we're predicting they will do. That's why it's called a prediction you fucking retards.

I only have a problem with it when the high school predictions turn into excuse making and playing favorites. You gotta stop giving a fuck about their HUDL’s once you watch them play in college games.
    Case in point: Asa Turner
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    There’s is no way Jimmy Doesn’t start this guy as a true frosh. It’s basically his guy, like Jake was Pete’s guy.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

There’s is no way Jimmy Doesn’t start this guy as a true frosh. It’s basically his guy, like Jake was Pete’s guy.

Just like Jake was Ty's guy.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

A lot of PTSD in the husky fan base but we’ve never landed a qb recruit like Sam.

Maybe he will bust but it certainly won’t have anything to do with Jake Browning.

Not sure about rankings back in the day but we used to land a lot of big fish like Uncle Brock. Billy Joe, Chris Chandler and the like

Brock was central casting.

This century I agree with you
    Brock could have QB’d 1991 to a Natty.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Eason was a transfer, but he was the #1 QB in his class.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

A lot of PTSD in the husky fan base but we’ve never landed a qb recruit like Sam.

Maybe he will bust but it certainly won’t have anything to do with Jake Browning.

Not sure about rankings back in the day but we used to land a lot of big fish like Uncle Brock. Billy Joe, Chris Chandler and the like

Brock was central casting.

This century I agree with you
    Brock could have QB’d 1991 to a Natty.
    Heresy

Only Billy beats Nebraska
    True. But we’re in some doldrums here.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Eason was a transfer, but he was the #1 QB in his class.

True, but once you’ve already started for a full mediocre season and then lost your job you can throw that ranking out the window.
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 489
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    Not that I am one to defend Brownsocks, but he really had 2 different careers. Before the shoulder injury at Oregon and after. Before he was elite and after he was average. Affected his accuracy and time in pocket significantly.

As for Huard, I alway thought Jughead Brock and his ilk were overrated. Same opinion of Sam until proven otherwise. And I don’t give a damn about running at QB. No QB should run, except to draw a defender to open a receiver.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Not that I am one to defend Brownsocks, but he really had 2 different careers. Before the shoulder injury at Oregon and after. Before he was elite and after he was average. Affected his accuracy and time in pocket significantly.

As for Huard, I alway thought Jughead Brock and his ilk were overrated. Same opinion of Sam until proven otherwise. And I don’t give a damn about running at QB. No QB should run, except to draw a defender to open a receiver.

Jake was never elite. He may have been above average before the injury (against Oregon State), but that requires the qualifiers of "as a sophomore". He most certainly wasn't elite as a freshman.

The problem with that is we're now talking 6 and a half games which is not only a really small sample but a sample in which he only played one close game (Arizona) and never threw more than 28 passes.

I don't think 6 1/2 games where he averaged 24 passes a game is enough to declare someone "elite".
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited March 2021
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

There’s 4 general skills a QB can be judged on:
    1) Arm talent
    2) Ability to read defenses and make good decisions
    3) Pocket mobility and not Browsocking under pressure
    4) Ability to take off and run when the defense leaves a lane open

Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are examples of what happens when you’re elite at all 4.

All we know about Sam Huard right now is that he’s elite at #1. High school defenses are bullshit, so it’s impossible to say anything about #2-4 except that he doesn’t have any red flags in those areas.

Sirmon had a red flag at #2. You could probably say that Eason was in the same boat as Huard coming out... but he ended up being questionable at #2, terrible at #3 and 4. Morris is average at #1/#2 but elite at #3.

TL;DR LIPO with Sam Huard cause we don’t know enough yet

Pretty good post but you're either missing accuracy or you've rolled it into arm talent which I think is a separate category.

Sam has like A- arm talent (he can't make some of the throws Eason could) but A++ accuracy which is the massive differentiator between him and basically all the highly rated local QB's of the past 15 years. Nobody else was an A in both:

Locker A+ arm talent D+ accuracy
    Heaps C arm talent A- accuracy
    Eason A+ arm talent C accuracy
    Max Brown fuck if I remember anything about that guy

Sam's accuracy gives him a higher floor than any of them and combined with his arm talent gives him a ceiling higher than any of them aside from maybe Lockner (Jack was absolutely elite at both 3 and 4 on your list and Sam is unlikely to be elite at either though probably pretty good at both).

The real question is what Sam can do in your category 2? Yet given his bloodlines, family resources and the fact he picked Kennedy over the other powers like EC specifically for the QB coaching, I would guess he's at least decent with a real shot at exceptional in that category as well.

If Sam busts it will be the biggest surprise of my 23ish years of TBS'ing.
    I guess I should have defined the difference here. To me arm talent is "what throws can you make" and accuracy is "how frequently can you make them".