Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon and interior DL

lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Are you bearish, bullish or neutral and why?

Seems like there is a lot of concern on the board for the unit.

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Bearish

We haven’t recruited a true defensive tackle since Jordon Scott.
  • Options

Bearish

Scott was pretty ineffective his last two years and he brings less utility when you have 250 pound linebackers. Scott was great for ILBs like Dye, Apelu, Niu and even ISM. Avalos went away from the true nose tackle. I think DeRuyter is in the same mold - he wants long-levered DL.

I think if you're going to go out and get linebackers like Sewell, Flowe, LaDuke and Brown that can stack up the OL, you can afford quick twitch DL instead of a true nose tackle. Dorlus will probably end up close to 300 and 6'4" and he's probably the prototype 3 tech. Jaylen Smith is in that mold too. I think you see them paired with a long-levered player like Jayson Jones and Keanu Williams.

• Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2021
    I think we are better off than most people think. We have POPO, Freshmen Keanu Williams and massive 4 star Jayson Jones from Alabama, Austin Faoliu and Kyron-Ware Hudson. Could we improve? Of course. But I feel pretty good about this group.. I’m anxious to see how the youngsters perform. :)
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    lawsandl said:

Bearish

Scott was pretty ineffective his last two years and he brings less utility when you have 250 pound linebackers. Scott was great for ILBs like Dye, Apelu, Niu and even ISM. Avalos went away from the true nose tackle. I think DeRuyter is in the same mold - he wants long-levered DL.

I think if you're going to go out and get linebackers like Sewell, Flowe, LaDuke and Brown that can stack up the OL, you can afford quick twitch DL instead of a true nose tackle. Dorlus will probably end up close to 300 and 6'4" and he's probably the prototype 3 tech. Jaylen Smith is in that mold too. I think you see them paired with a long-levered player like Jayson Jones and Keanu Williams.

I'd agree on Scott, but disagree on DeRuyter. From the initial press conferences, it sounds like what he wants to do is more like Leavitt (D-Line occupies blockers to open space for the linebackers to wreak havoc), where what Avalotti wanted to do was more in line with Aliotti (using length on the D-Line to create disruption).

Moving Thibodeaux out to a Von Miller role makes sense (think of how Leavitt used Justin Hollins, now with a bigger body type player). You'll probably see "breakout years" from Adrian Jackson and Steve Stephens simply because the position they were recruited to play is now back on the table. The flip side is some players are also not going to adjust well to the new scheme. My concern is that Avalotti spent two years stocking the shelves with his version of OKG on the D-line and now DeRuyter is going to come in and shift what OKG means again. The more telling feature (and take it with a grain of salt, because Cal wasn't offering the South) is that Keanu Williams and Shipley are the only two Oregon D-Linemen that Cal offered.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

lawsandl said:

Bearish

I'd agree on Scott, but disagree on DeRuyter. From the initial press conferences, it sounds like what he wants to do is more like Leavitt (D-Line occupies blockers to open space for the linebackers to wreak havoc), where what Avalotti wanted to do was more in line with Aliotti (using length on the D-Line to create disruption).

Moving Thibodeaux out to a Von Miller role makes sense (think of how Leavitt used Justin Hollins, now with a bigger body type player). You'll probably see "breakout years" from Adrian Jackson and Steve Stephens simply because the position they were recruited to play is now back on the table. The flip side is some players are also not going to adjust well to the new scheme. My concern is that Avalotti spent two years stocking the shelves with his version of OKG on the D-line and now DeRuyter is going to come in and shift what OKG means again. The more telling feature (and take it with a grain of salt, because Cal wasn't offering the South) is that Keanu Williams and Shipley are the only two Oregon D-Linemen that Cal offered.
    I recall hearing him say he likes length and long-levered DL. We have linebackers that can dump linemen on their ass, so I am hoping he let's the. work downhill. Leavitt liked his ILBs deep.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,499
    Swaye's Wigwam
    lawsandl said:

Oregon State, UCLA, and Cal ran up your assholes. Sell, sell, sell.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,499
    Swaye's Wigwam

lawsandl said:

Bearish

LOL this just screams "We have no fucking clue what is happening on defense, but just TRUST it'll end up like 2019"
  • Options
    haie said:

lawsandl said:

I am surprised with this take.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    haie said:

lawsandl said:

Bearish

LOL this just screams "We have no fucking clue what is happening on defense, but just TRUST it'll end up like 2019"
    Has UDub hired a DC since Kwiat left for a lateral job at a real football program? Choate used Lake too, along with Ione, for better jobs.

7-5 will be a good season for MontLake Helfrich and his Top 40 recruiting classes by 2023.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

haie said:

lawsandl said:

Bearish

Has UDub hired a DC since Kwiat left for a lateral job at a real football program? Choate used Lake too, along with Ione, for better jobs.

7-5 will be a good season for MontLake Helfrich and his Top 40 recruiting classes by 2023.
    Agree. They will struggle to be Bowl eligible. Hell the North Division Champs actually have to play football games away from home this year.
  • Options
    Oregon is in good hands on both sides of the ball. We’ll see massive improvement on the OL.

On the DL, Dorlus will be the key. Any top end consistency from him and the PAC 12 can quit.
  • Options
    Dorlus is a friggin stud.
  • Options
    DJDuck said:

Dorlus is a friggin stud.

Right, Kristian Williams looks like he’s right behind him.

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    haie said:

lawsandl said:

I don’t expect you to understand any of the following, it’s pretty advanced stuff for Vancouver residents.

Oregon’s defense sucked. Yet they allowed fewer rushing yards per game and a lower yards per carry than Washington in Pac-12 play. They held 5/7 opponents under their season average in YPC.

Cal had 88 yards on 47 carries. 21 of those came on a broken play scramble by the QB.
    UCLA ran it on everyone. Including 290 yards on that tuff Stanford team that Washington struggled with.
  • Options
    There is a lot of concern because Big Joe Salave’a has done jack shit to recruit or coach that group. We were promised Hercules Ma’ta’fuckas and instead we get Fat Jordon Scott and the even worse slightly less fat but still fat Jordon Scott.

The only reason to be neutral is that both Scott and Austin Faoliu are gone. Although Faoliu remembered at the end of the season he wants to have coffee in the NFL and played well enough to score a combine invite to the virtual combine.

I’ve thought for two years that Popo is better than Scott. I don’t think I’m alone in that thought, Popo actually moves people. Depending on what front they use either Popo or Kristian Williams or both will be starting.

Brandon Dorlus and Kristian Williams are the bright spots. Thanks to Gemon Eaford for the contribution of his 600 spots lower ranked teammate, his biggest impact on Oregon football, because Dorlus is legit. Kristian Williams started the last two games instead of Scott and he’s looking like a major steal for late in that recruiting cycle.

2020 diamond in the rough, because that’s how Oregon recruits DL now: Jaylen Smith. He was with the OL because he’s decent at both and they needed him for Covid roster minimums to avoid having to forfeit games to your rivals. He actually played in almost every game. Explosive, and he’s the best athlete in the group. Listed at 292 lbs and they’re playing him as an edge like KT or Bradyn Swinson - but I bet he winds up with this interior group.

As for the other guys: Ware-Hudson is a rotation guy at both spots, and too early to say bust but I think I noticed him twice all season even on re-watch when trying to find him. Jayson Jones and Maceal Afaese are projects, and if the team didn’t suck as much ass and there was more garbage time they could have played. Jayson Jones can actually play just by using his arms to keep blockers away from his body but he would be better off for his sake as an OT, he’s got good feet. Jake Shipley is behind all of those. Sua’ava Poti supposedly gets worked. Hopefully Keanu Williams isn’t a bust, pretty wild that they only signed one big DL when this is all they have.
  • Options
    Shipley played well on the scout team last year. The only bust on the roster is Poti. Also, Cristobal doesn’t know if McNeil ends up inside. He was already 250 pounds last year.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    haie said:

lawsandl said:

Oregon allowed 169 yds rushing per game. Washington gave up 161 yds per game. Oregon played UCLA the #12 best rushing team in the nation and beat them. The Huskies did not play UCLA in their home only schedule.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    While Oregon was playing UCLA #12 rushing team in the nation as their Southern division opponent.......

Washington was playing Arizona #71 rushing team in the nation as their southern division opponent.
  • Options
    DJDuck said:

haie said:

lawsandl said:

Oregon allowed 169 yds rushing per game. Washington gave up 161 yds per game. Oregon played UCLA the #12 best rushing team in the nation and beat them. The Huskies did not play UCLA in their home only schedule.

In conference play Oregon gave up 159 rushing per game. They also played the four worst rushing teams in the conference, let’s be fair.

The Fiesta Bowel drove that average up, although it was Iowa State’s third lowest YPC game. They also held those corn retards to their second worst passing game. In their worst Big-12 game they averaged 1.1 yards per play more, but none of that matters when you allow the other team to run 39 more plays.