Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Will SPAC/Cryptocurrency be the top/bubble in retrospect when we look back?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
When this market finally resets and corrects will people look back and say the top was evident when any Cryptocurrency and SPAC started had people throwing money at it?

I say yes, what say you?

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    No. Why do you think SPACs and crypto are the markers of a peak bubble?
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    We are in new territory...the Fed never monetized the debt like they are now. Things will eventually “reset”, but I don’t think it’s going to be a reset like previous ones.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited February 2021

Co-sign on crypto; not as clear on SPACs. But I agree, the "here's money; go buy something with it," isn't exactly a model that appeals to me.
  • Options

We are in new territory...the Fed never monetized the debt like they are now. Things will eventually “reset”, but I don’t think it’s going to be a reset like previous ones.

Do you think the reset will be when we are finally forced to stop papering over our problems?

If so, what do you think will have value at that point?
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Do you think the reset will be when we are finally forced to stop papering over our problems?

If so, what do you think will have value at that point?
    Hard assets...real estate, precious metals, ownership in tangible, tradable items, companies, etc. The last thing you want to be holding is cash in a bank account.

It’s cascading out of control, but still think we have a long run before it crashes and resets...and who knows what that will look like. But the govt is unable to not spend $$$ and the Fed has written them a blank check to do so. We are already at the point of no return on interest rates...as the Fed chairman himself said the system will collapse if interest rates rise too much (and by too much he meant over 5% or even less on a 30 year treasury which is still low by historical standards). And these low interest rates just accelerates the unsustainable govt spending.

No clue what the reset looks like...writing off govt debt on the Fed balance sheet along with rewriting the charter of the Fed itself? Not my area of expertise...I’m sure the Fed has been working on a “solution” that puts them in charge more...when they are ready it will start leaking in the press. And given the stupidity of politicians on both sides of the aisle it’s a good bet they will blindly install it.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Co-sign on crypto; not as clear on SPACs. But I agree, the "here's money; go buy something with it," isn't exactly a model that appeals to me.
    I agree, we're still at halftime with the entire SPAC experiment. And history may look back at it as a goofy sham. But I'm not connecting the dots on how this is indicative of a bubble about to burst.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam

SPAC's can only make money if they buy small tiny companies and take them public whether there is any business there or not.

The multiple digital currencies all screaming higher and higher w/ no real fundamentals and the chasing of their daily prices (which to me look like the greater fool theory).

Every bubble I have seen at least in my lifetime have looked very similar to what I am seeing above with asset classes.

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    godawgst said:

SPAC's can only make money if they buy small tiny companies and take them public whether there is any business there or not.

The multiple digital currencies all screaming higher and higher w/ no real fundamentals and the chasing of their daily prices (which to me look like the greater fool theory).

Every bubble I have seen at least in my lifetime have looked very similar to what I am seeing above with asset classes.

Are you telling me this piece of digital art isn’t worth 1.5 mil????!!!
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2021
    godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

SPACs are traded just like many other securities - can buy just the shares, units (which include the stock and warrants) or just the warrants in a lot of cases. One can 'make money' prior to a deal - there is a market to trade. The BIG money to be made is if/when a deal is totally complete but one can make money on the day-to-day action.

I got in on THCB and THCBU a while back. Not ground floor but definitely prior to the Microvast deal being announced. By posting that, the deal is now destined to derail and I"ll lose all my money.....

https://investorplace.com/2021/02/thcb-stock-tuscan-holdings-shares-surge-on-microvast-spac-merger-news/

I do agree, the cryptos are screaming for a correction. Dogecoin was created as a joke and now it's the off-brand to bitcoin. Was on a call yesterday with a noted contrarian and he is calling bullshit on the fed printing money and the perception of crypto as the wave of the future. He's all in on hard assets as the safe haven.

• Options
    edited February 2021

I agree, we're still at halftime with the entire SPAC experiment. And history may look back at it as a goofy sham. But I'm not connecting the dots on how this is indicative of a bubble about to burst.
    Nah - SPACs are just a vehicle to raise capital. No different than a hedge or venture fund or PE or hard money. A place to park the money until it is put to use.

Now, you want to get into the Wild West, Reg A offerings are where the action is at. And if really want to go for a roller coaster ride, following the Reg D filings and track down the founders to see whether they'll take your money.

• Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    D

godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

SPACs are traded just like many other securities - can buy just the shares, units (which include the stock and warrants) or just the warrants in a lot of cases. One can 'make money' prior to a deal - there is a market to trade. The BIG money to be made is if/when a deal is totally complete but one can make money on the day-to-day action.

I got in on THCB and THCBU a while back. Not ground floor but definitely prior to the Microvast deal being announced. By posting that, the deal is now destined to derail and I"ll lose all my money.....

https://investorplace.com/2021/02/thcb-stock-tuscan-holdings-shares-surge-on-microvast-spac-merger-news/

I do agree, the cryptos are screaming for a correction. Dogecoin was created as a joke and now it's the off-brand to bitcoin. Was on a call yesterday with a noted contrarian and he is calling bullshit on the fed printing money and the perception of crypto as the wave of the future. He's all in on hard assets as the safe haven.

The Fed printing money is exactly why Bitcoin is so valuable. It's an improved version of gold, which is why it's been eating gold's share of the store of value market and why gold is down since August despite the extreme monetary policy that should be great for gold's USD price. Most other cryptos are bullshit though.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam

D

godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

The Fed printing money is exactly why Bitcoin is so valuable. It's an improved version of gold, which is why it's been eating gold's share of the store of value market and why gold is down since August despite the extreme monetary policy that should be great for gold's USD price. Most other cryptos are bullshit though.
    I'll wait to hear from @RuffaloSoldier
  • Options

D

godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

I'll wait to hear from @RuffaloSoldier
    @RuffaloSoldier

@PurpleBaze

@Swaye

@YellowSnow

@Malarkey
  • Options

D

godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

Yes and no. Bitcoin probably is a better mechanism than gold - but the historic certainty of gold is worth something. Also, from a purely functional standpoint, if the world went to hell in a handbasket, how fungible is crypto?

I think there's a happy medium between the two -one is a historic hedge against inflation/market forces and the other has somewhat speculative features and upside potential.

Gold has been relatively constant the last couple months. I think that's the market magician's playing their bankster games. They held the price of gold down for years with their paper shenanigans - there truly is a massive shortage of physical gold if the reddit bros ever turn their sights on that one. Which is why I think they semi-fucked with silver as a practice run.

I'm in relatively close contact with two renowned gold bugs - one of whom has the technicals wired, the other a noted contrarian who relies on some common sense and being a codger. Both are convinced gold will hit 3,000 and then to the moon until about 10K per oz.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The key to Gold and Silver is physical delivery.

Not an allocation Certificate “Proving ownership” but actual shiny shit in your grubby little paw. Even SLV changed their prospectus(which tru gold bugs preached was going to happen) when they were having trouble securing physical metal to satisfy the rash of new buyers like @PurpleThrobber
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    doogie said:

Not an allocation Certificate “Proving ownership” but actual shiny shit in your grubby little paw. Even SLV changed their prospectus(which tru gold bugs preached was going to happen) when they were having trouble securing physical metal to satisfy the rash of new buyers like @PurpleThrobber

New buyers?!?! The Throbber has to chase people off the GNR Compound all the time trying to find his stash.

My man Tyler Durden at Zerohedge has had a couple of articles about SLV/reddit bros. Physical silver can't get no satisfaction. No, no, no....

• Options

D

godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

Yes and no. Bitcoin probably is a better mechanism than gold - but the historic certainty of gold is worth something. Also, from a purely functional standpoint, if the world went to hell in a handbasket, how fungible is crypto?

I think there's a happy medium between the two -one is a historic hedge against inflation/market forces and the other has somewhat speculative features and upside potential.

Gold has been relatively constant the last couple months. I think that's the market magician's playing their bankster games. They held the price of gold down for years with their paper shenanigans - there truly is a massive shortage of physical gold if the reddit bros ever turn their sights on that one. Which is why I think they semi-fucked with silver as a practice run.

I'm in relatively close contact with two renowned gold bugs - one of whom has the technicals wired, the other a noted contrarian who relies on some common sense and being a codger. Both are convinced gold will hit 3,000 and then to the moon until about 10K per oz.

Yep, I absolutely agree that gold's established history is valuable and is why I said Bitcoin is an improved version of gold rather than a better version at this point in time. Gold is better in a number of categories: history (by a lot), fungibility and durability. As time goes on Bitcoin will lessen the history advantage and continue to prove its durability while the code could be updated to improve fungibility, although it's hard to imagine it becoming more fungible than gold. Bitcoin is better at portability (by a lot), scarcity, divisibility and censorship resistance (by a lot). Those categories are all important attributes of a store of value but to what extent each is important depends on the situation.

While it's true that if the world goes to hell in a handbasket that Bitcoin could be interrupted (less likely as we get things like Starlink or other space-internet solutions), it's probably better than gold in most situations. Portability and censorship resistance are really important in those situations.

Long term I definitely agree that there is a happy medium between the two, and I'll hold gold eventually but for now BTC is the play for me until it eats quite a bit more of the store of value market.
  • Options
    doogie said:

Physical delivery/self custody is another advantage of BTC.
  • Options

D

godawgst said:

Not entirely true.

Yep, I absolutely agree that gold's established history is valuable and is why I said Bitcoin is an improved version of gold rather than a better version at this point in time. Gold is better in a number of categories: history (by a lot), fungibility and durability. As time goes on Bitcoin will lessen the history advantage and continue to prove its durability while the code could be updated to improve fungibility, although it's hard to imagine it becoming more fungible than gold. Bitcoin is better at portability (by a lot), scarcity, divisibility and censorship resistance (by a lot). Those categories are all important attributes of a store of value but to what extent each is important depends on the situation.

While it's true that if the world goes to hell in a handbasket that Bitcoin could be interrupted (less likely as we get things like Starlink or other space-internet solutions), it's probably better than gold in most situations. Portability and censorship resistance are really important in those situations.

Long term I definitely agree that there is a happy medium between the two, and I'll hold gold eventually but for now BTC is the play for me until it eats quite a bit more of the store of value market.
    I looked at a prospectus last year on a combo Bitcoin/Gold play. Concept was to own producing gold mines and hedge the production with crypto - or vice versa.

Need to dust that thing off and see if it makes more sense in whacky times than it did then.

• Options
    Doesn’t gold win really on scarcity? Talk me into the guaranteed Bitcoin scarcity.