Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Our? LB corch sure did suck

2»

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,123 Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

@CallMeBigErn are you bob Gregory?

Nah, your posts just reek of retard.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,952 Founders Club
    chuck said:

Half of those LBs were OLBs and not in BG's position group. The ILBs who were drafted were Azeem, Keishawn, and BBK. So only 1 player BG recruited has gotten drafted.
    Wasting your breath. Not on Yella, but others. The case against Bob is a bit too nuanced for some, apparently.

He might be a good DC though.
    Chucky, I don't help run the show at HCH because I'm good at football knowledge. Lulz.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

FireCohen said:

@CallMeBigErn are you bob Gregory?

Nah, your posts just reek of retard.
    Doog on!!!
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,926 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Half of those LBs were OLBs and not in BG's position group. The ILBs who were drafted were Azeem, Keishawn, and BBK. So only 1 player BG recruited has gotten drafted.
    Wasting your breath. Not on Yella, but others. The case against Bob is a bit too nuanced for some, apparently.

He might be a good DC though.
    Chucky, I don't help run the show at HCH because I'm good at football knowledge. Lulz.
    Sure you are yella. Your post was good. It's the shit support you got that ruined the discussion.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,664 Standard Supporter

Putting BBK and soon to be Ulofoshio in the league ain’t nothing too poo poo.

Look I don’t know if Gregory is gonna suck or not as DC, but this place sure gets in a funk at the hires which lack sizzle.
    to be honest lots of us were skeptical of the sizzle hire. and then we were tricked into thinking it was good, then we faced reality and it sucks. then we were able to go into a grand funk again. and again again.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

nobody is worried about gregory coaching the defense, they are worried about gregory coaching a defense with 5 PWOs hth

I'm worried about Gregory coaching the defense. I'm less worried about recruiting now that he presumably no longer has to do anything. Not to imply that he was doing anything beforehand either.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    edited February 2021
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Bob’s cardinal sin is that there were a couple of lean years in recruiting that were back to back and compounded

Reality is that the depth in the ILB room right now is pretty good ... we have options

We have one inside linebacker that we know is good. The rest could suck for all we know. Not impressed with sirmon and everyone else gave up 4 TD’s in one quarter vs Arizona’s starters. That’s all we know.
    I'll just put it this way ... one of the big things that was talked about often back in the days when we gave enough of a shit about UW football to try to podcast was how it's not about the names but about getting enough talented people in a room and letting them figure out who is going to play (cream rising to the top).

There's talented guys in that room right now ...

I wouldn't put a ton of stock in 2020 results for young backups because they didn't get the development time during the Spring and likely the Fall that is really needed to dramatically get better. I suspect that we'll see that happen in the 2021 offseason. Also important to remember that Calvert had a significant injury so the loss of the 2020 rep building period definitely didn't help him.

As crazy as it sounds this is one of the better areas of our defensive roster in terms of depth going forward.
    Nobody knows until they play. Just the harsh reality. They can improve sure. But we have a lot of kids that are close in class so this could get thin real quick.

At numerous times since gilby took over uw has been praised for their qb room only to have shit qb play since the turn of the century with minimal exceptions.

I get what you’re saying about stacking talent though and completely agree. I thought Osborne and Jones would be good WR’s. That never happened and then we had fuller and opera playing.

Its concerning nobody beat out manu Wellington or sirmon until late in 2019. Anyone who says otherwise is blind.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

nobody is worried about gregory coaching the defense, they are worried about gregory coaching a defense with 5 PWOs hth

I'm worried about Gregory coaching the defense. I'm less worried about recruiting now that he presumably no longer has to do anything. Not to imply that he was doing anything beforehand either.
    Gregory knows football ... I don't think that's what you should be concerned about.

Bigger concern with Gregory is that he basically hasn't pursued being a coordinator in over a decade (pretty sure that if he wanted to pursue one that he could have been in the discussion) and with some of the rumors about how he went from Cal to Boise makes you wonder if he's really not that interested in being in the spotlight ... which is kind of hard to avoid as a coordiantor.

The skeptical side of me says that Gregory is doing this for like 2 years getting Malloe up to speed to run his own defense and then retires.

Wouldn't shock me if the rationale used to convince Bob was that with the raise he'd be able to retire in 2-3 years instead of 5 years.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Bob’s cardinal sin is that there were a couple of lean years in recruiting that were back to back and compounded

Reality is that the depth in the ILB room right now is pretty good ... we have options

We have one inside linebacker that we know is good. The rest could suck for all we know. Not impressed with sirmon and everyone else gave up 4 TD’s in one quarter vs Arizona’s starters. That’s all we know.
    I'll just put it this way ... one of the big things that was talked about often back in the days when we gave enough of a shit about UW football to try to podcast was how it's not about the names but about getting enough talented people in a room and letting them figure out who is going to play (cream rising to the top).

There's talented guys in that room right now ...

I wouldn't put a ton of stock in 2020 results for young backups because they didn't get the development time during the Spring and likely the Fall that is really needed to dramatically get better. I suspect that we'll see that happen in the 2021 offseason. Also important to remember that Calvert had a significant injury so the loss of the 2020 rep building period definitely didn't help him.

As crazy as it sounds this is one of the better areas of our defensive roster in terms of depth going forward.
    Nobody knows until they play. Just the harsh reality. They can improve sure. But we have a lot of kids that are close in class so this could get thin real quick.

At numerous times since gilby took over uw has been praised for their qb room only to have shit qb play since the turn of the century with minimal exceptions.

I get what you’re saying about stacking talent though and completely agree. I thought Osborne and Jones would be good WR’s. That never happened and then we had fuller and opera playing.

Its concerning nobody beat out manu Wellington or sirmon until late in 2019. Anyone who says otherwise is blind.
    I'd say that there was also some bad luck when it comes to LB depth in general ...

Eifler really didn't develop in a meaingful way, kind of was a tweener at UW, and then went to a bottom tier Big 10 program.

Ngata kind of was the same story in that he was never able to put on enough weight to stand up ... leaving to go to Sac St isn't a ringing endorsement for quality.

DJ Beavers needing to medically retire was a huge hit.

Kaho leaving at the 11th hour definitely didn't help matters.

So when you look at it that way, you basically gutted out a couple of classes and you get the 2019 mess.

That said, Gregory deserves some accountability for the players that he recruited ending up as tweeners, guys on the roster (Wellington/Manu) either not being good enough in the first place or failing to develop, and really dropping the ball on the whole Bolton situation.

We "should" be in a good spot going forward ... hitting on EJ is a huge plus in that regard. Not knowing the particulars for why Player A vs Player B, the one thing that I'll say about Will Latu is that athletically his film doesn't pop off the page in terms of being that much more athletic than those he competes with. He needs to spend a few years in the "Body by Socha" program before he's ready (which may be ok with the existing roster). But there's some Manu potential there as well.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717
    Tequilla said:

Gregory knows football ... I don't think that's what you should be concerned about.

Bigger concern with Gregory is that he basically hasn't pursued being a coordinator in over a decade (pretty sure that if he wanted to pursue one that he could have been in the discussion) and with some of the rumors about how he went from Cal to Boise makes you wonder if he's really not that interested in being in the spotlight ... which is kind of hard to avoid as a coordiantor.

The skeptical side of me says that Gregory is doing this for like 2 years getting Malloe up to speed to run his own defense and then retires.

Wouldn't shock me if the rationale used to convince Bob was that with the raise he'd be able to retire in 2-3 years instead of 5 years.
    Imagine being overwhelmed by the football fans at Cal. It just means more (?).

Tequilla said:

Imagine being overwhelmed by the football fans at Cal. It just means more (?).
    I'll just say that Gregory's definitely not the most cringeworthy coach on staff ... and he's not on the short list
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    @Tequilla agreed on the DJ Beavers retirement. He looked good from what I remember of the time he got.

The Bolton situation was kinda Pete's thing tho from what I understand. Kid wanted to take another visit or two and that ain't allowed round these parts, as we all know.

@Tequilla agreed on the DJ Beavers retirement. He looked good from what I remember of the time he got.

The Bolton situation was kinda Pete's thing tho from what I understand. Kid wanted to take another visit or two and that ain't allowed round these parts, as we all know.

Yep ... just a lot of things that stacked up one on top of the other

Some of that you have to have contingencies for ... some is just flat out bad luck