Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

RIP Hank Aaron

2»

Comments

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I grew up with boxing and big fights and never got into MMA but isn't MMA far more popular among the younger generations?

The heavyweight title fight was always a big event up through Tyson. Even middleweights like Hagler, Hearns, and Sugar Ray

It just seems HARD to get traction these days.

Boxing was the motherfucking shit in the 60's/70's/80's. Olympic boxing was AMAZING. Tacoma's own Davey Armstrong USA! USA! USA!

Wide World Of Sports with the recorded versions of Ali fights. The Throbber just sprung a boner (TMI). Good times...

One of my first sports memories was watching Larry Holmes TKO Ali. A few years later the Tex Cobb near-killing on national TV occurred and boxing was shunned to cable on PPV. That same month there was the Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini fight in Vegas where Duk Koo-Kim does in the ring and it took a few years until Tyson arrived on the scene to get boxing going again.

Howard Cosell never called another boxing match after the Cobb fight. I was six years old and still remember all the blood.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I grew up with boxing and big fights and never got into MMA but isn't MMA far more popular among the younger generations?

The heavyweight title fight was always a big event up through Tyson. Even middleweights like Hagler, Hearns, and Sugar Ray

Boxing was the motherfucking shit in the 60's/70's/80's. Olympic boxing was AMAZING. Tacoma's own Davey Armstrong USA! USA! USA!

Wide World Of Sports with the recorded versions of Ali fights. The Throbber just sprung a boner (TMI). Good times...

50s, 40s, 30s and 20s. The 3 biggest sports in the US used to be Baseball, Boxing and Horse Racing.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was lucky enough to see Larry Holmes fight in Atlantic City early 80's. Sat about 40 - 60 feet from ringside. Entire card was light heavy and heavy weight fights. When those guys land a punch you feel the concussion that close.

I called it 'white chimp of the month club' for Holmes. I think he got stripped of the WBC title and the IBF started up about that time. He was 42-0 IIRC
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Do you mean like this?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    oops CHUMP

spell check doesn't check for logic I guess
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    SFGbob said:

Is there a person over 50 who didn't know the number of HRs Ruth had hit? Now tell me what the current HR record is and how many 10 year old school kids today do you think know that number. We all knew what the number 714 meant back in the early 70s as did every school kid since the 1930s

The record is still 755
  • Options
    IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021
    All of you people that post racist posts up in here, support casual societal racism and racist social policies-politicians in America are somehow giving condolences to Hank Aaron? Hank Aaron had to deal with his share of racist people like y'all up in here during his baseball career and life...RIP

Hank Aaron, Home Run King Who Defied Racism, Dies at 86 https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/sports/baseball/hank-aaron-dead.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhdNvNg60M
    Sports Century Documentary- Hank Aaron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66lmbROA58
    Biography: Hank Aaron Baseball Player & Civil Rights Activist
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

The fights back in the day were great. They were great because of the boxers.

Hearns
    Hagler
    Leonard
    Chavez
    Duran
    Aguello
    Pryor
    Ali
    Holmes
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Holyfield

So many great fights between those guys. Loads of thrill of victory and agony of defeat.
  • Options
    dflea said:

Hearns
    Hagler
    Leonard
    Chavez
    Duran
    Aguello
    Pryor
    Ali
    Holmes
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Holyfield

So many great fights between those guys. Loads of thrill of victory and agony of defeat.
    Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor was my favorite boxer on those ABC Saturday afternoon fights. He was a small welterweight version of Mike Tyson before there was Tyson.

• Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,183
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

All of you people that post racist posts up in here, support casual societal racism and racist social policies-politicians in America are somehow giving condolences to Hank Aaron? Hank Aaron had to deal with his share of racist people like y'all up in here during his baseball career and life...RIP

Hank Aaron, Home Run King Who Defied Racism, Dies at 86 https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/sports/baseball/hank-aaron-dead.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhdNvNg60M
    Sports Century Documentary- Hank Aaron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66lmbROA58
    Biography: Hank Aaron Baseball Player & Civil Rights Activist

Can’t be racist ‘cuz RIP Hank Aaron!

Performance art.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

Hearns
    Hagler
    Leonard
    Chavez
    Duran
    Aguello
    Pryor
    Ali
    Holmes
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Holyfield

Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor was my favorite boxer on those ABC Saturday afternoon fights. He was a small welterweight version of Mike Tyson before there was Tyson.

Pryor got the water bottle his trainer "mixed" when he fought Arguello. lol

That fight was unbelievable.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Hearns
    Hagler
    Leonard
    Chavez
    Duran
    Aguello
    Pryor
    Ali
    Holmes
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Holyfield

Arguello was robbed I tell ya
  • Options
    Hank Aaron was criminally underrated by the masses as a player for a number of reasons ...

He didn’t play in a major market like Mantle/Mays

He didn’t have the outwardly engaging personality or flair that Willie Mays had

And unquestionably he was underrated because of the color of his skin

That said, anybody that is a fan of the history of the game knows how great Hank Aaron was. He was arguably the greatest living player at the time of his death (along with Willie Mays).

Perhaps the thing that stands out to me is that I’ve never heard anybody tied into the game of baseball say a bad word about Hank Aaron. In the end, that’s fairly telling.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    Simply the best. He was a God when I was a kid. And then you got older and realized all the shit that He had to go through. Hank’s grace and class was as great as his bat. Always a great ambassador for the game. Probably the best ever in that regard as well. And lord knows He had little reason to be. But He always put the game before himself. Amazing Man.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    LebamDawg said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Hearns
    Hagler
    Leonard
    Chavez
    Duran
    Aguello
    Pryor
    Ali
    Holmes
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Holyfield

You douches shitting on Hanks thread jizzin over 2nd rate boxers is brand for the Tug for sure.
  • Options
    IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Kaepsknee said:

LebamDawg said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Hearns
    Hagler
    Leonard
    Chavez
    Duran
    Aguello
    Pryor
    Ali
    Holmes
    Norton
    Frazier
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Holyfield

You douches shitting on Hanks thread jizzin over 2nd rate boxers is brand for the Tug for sure.
    That's called subliminal racism...even in death Hank Aaron faces racism by the living.

• Options
    Kaepsknee said:

Simply the best. He was a God when I was a kid. And then you got older and realized all the shit that He had to go through. Hank’s grace and class was as great as his bat. Always a great ambassador for the game. Probably the best ever in that regard as well. And lord knows He had little reason to be. But He always put the game before himself. Amazing Man.

When I was really young a neighbor knew of my love for sports and gave me a baseball encyclopedia from 1968 ... still one of the coolest things I’ve owned.

One of the things I’d do would go year by year leveraging the stats (because I’ve always been a numbers person) to make up who I thought were effectively the All Star teams each year.

There have been a number of greats and many that have put up great numbers ... but few put up the consistent numbers year in and year out that Hank Aaron did.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Kaepsknee said:

When I was really young a neighbor knew of my love for sports and gave me a baseball encyclopedia from 1968 ... still one of the coolest things I’ve owned.

One of the things I’d do would go year by year leveraging the stats (because I’ve always been a numbers person) to make up who I thought were effectively the All Star teams each year.

There have been a number of greats and many that have put up great numbers ... but few put up the consistent numbers year in and year out that Hank Aaron did.
    Random question. Did you ever play Strat-o-Matic baseball? My cousins and an discovered it in the mid-80s at an uncle’s house and it became a staple of family gatherings.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Kaepsknee said:

Random question. Did you ever play Strat-o-Matic baseball? My cousins and an discovered it in the mid-80s at an uncle’s house and it became a staple of family gatherings.
    I don’t think I did