Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lake can still save this. On-field 2021 result is his ticket

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Massive AD incompetence and internal drama notwithstanding, the team is pretty loaded and set to run a train on this shitpile of a G5 conference. No excuses.

Comments

• Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Yeah, if Jimmy can coach it will be evident this year. Imagine running off Kwat then winning 8 games in 2021...

What's there to imagine? After today, I'd put the O/U of 2021 wins at 5 ( x 1.6). I'm not sure if you intend 8-5 as an epic failure, considering that was St Pete's final record.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2021
    Gladstone said:

Massive AD incompetence and internal drama notwithstanding, the team is pretty loaded and set to run a train on this shitpile of a G5 conference. No excuses.

The UW defense I've liked the most the past 7 years was our 2018 one Jimmy coordinated that had to overcome absolutely unacceptable offense. Pete the fucking legend couldn't even muster 6 points vs lesser talent.

Maybe Jimmy has been managing too much as a first time HC because he sees giving up 21 in a half to Utah and 24 in a half to Stanford (not to mention the 2nd halves against OSU/UA) as deserving concerns for any DC. Our defense looked broken against non spread teams.

Maybe our assistants are too complacent because our AD as a whole is. No one has done shit in 2 seasons and 2018 every single loss was avoidable.

LIPO the until the first game at least.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Emoterman said:

Yeah, if Jimmy can coach it will be evident this year. Imagine running off Kwat then winning 8 games in 2021...

What's there to imagine? After today, I'd put the O/U of 2021 wins at 5 ( x 1.6). I'm not sure if you intend 8-5 as an epic failure, considering that was St Pete's final record.
    Yeah 8-5 would be an epic failure. Considering the schedule and multiple recruiting wins it took to assemble the 2021 roster.
  • Options
    MammaJammaMammaJamma Member Posts: 193
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Win or GTFO. No excuses
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,590
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gregory promoted to Co-DC and John Timu promoted to LB coach! Cook it! Why find talent elsewhere when we can find guys that say YES right in our own program?

That said, I agree that the defense was slightly above average at best the last two years and I’m personally sick of watching teams like Stanford and Colorado truck out defense down the field. If Lake can poach a coach from another P5 program or pull someone like GA from the NFL then maybe I can get behind this a little more. This 21 team talent wise should be no worse than 10-2. Lest we forget the players that opted to come back for senior seasons. These guys feel optimism for next year and really feel like UW can win the P12. Anything less and I’ll panic and scream TPIO! As for now I have brow furrowed worry and I’ll let our more than likely disappointing DC hire play out.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete lost to the New York Yankees
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Our D sucked this year because we didn't have a true, two-gap defensive lineman to run a 3-4/2-5 or whatever you want to call it. From when Petersen got here our defense was built around dominant two-gap defensive lineman in Danny Shelton, Greg Gaines, and Vita Vea. Those guys had a supporting cast of players like Elijah Qualls, Jaylen Johnson, Damion Turpin, Benning Potoae and Levi.

Compare Shelton, Gaines or Vea to Sam Taimani, the guy who was forced to assume the role when Tuli went down, and you can understand why we had such a drop off last year.

Our defense is predicated on being able to stop the run the with two interior defensive lineman. The BUCK then sets one edge to the wide side of the field(most of the time) and the WIL backer is tasked with covering the edge on the weak side of the field. Combine Taimani's inability to hold his ground on the inside with ZTF's inability to hold the edge on the outside and your defense is going to be fucked.

Good insight. ZTF got blown out a few times on edge. Latu is likely a better run defender on the other side next year.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

Nah even in the unlikely event of a great season it will just be Helfrich/Coker.

Jimmy will be a failure here, that much is perfectly clear.
    It really is too soon to say that

I mean the odds are heavy in your favor but still he's had 4 games

The recruiting angst and assistant angst is quite common really. Every coach here gets it
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

We? suck. UW lucked into Sark leaving and lucked into hiring Pete who had a magical 3 year run that’s as good as the Mariners magical 95 season. Pete being here was fools gold. All signs point to Jimmy regressing the program back to Sark levels but UW will never fire him or put any pressure on him.

@Swaye, is there room on the Georgia bandwagon for a fat guy who loves nachos?

my horns are gonna give your horseshit dawgs a keratin enema