Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awards - Best Picture of 1994

2»

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Legends of The Fall
    1994 were early high school days for me. My buddy told me I had to watch this new Pulp Fiction movie. We had a movie night, I watched it, and I came away asking, "What the fuck was that!?" Hated it. Didn't feel like the story being told out of time helped anything and was just done for pretentious reasons.

My wife's part of a Facebook group that decided to vote on the 53 best '90s movies, then everyone would watch one per week in chronological order and discuss afterward. Kind of like a book club only for '90s movies. At the end, there was supposed to be a big costume party where everybody came as one of the movie characters (I planned to attend as The Dude's Credence tape). COVID shot the party down but not the movie watching, so I watched a lot of '90s movies last year, Pulp Fiction one of them. I have a WAY better appreciation for it now than I did then. It would still probably be sixth at best on this list for me, but it's a great movie.

For me:

1.) LOTF
    2.) Shawshank
    3.) Gump
    4.) Dumb and Dumber
    5.) Clerks
    6.) Pulp Fiction
    7.) The Professional
    Quiz Show*

1,345,194.) Speed (seriously?)

*Don't think I've seen Quiz Show. Will have to check it out.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,888
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pulp Fiction
    I thought Shawshank had a chance to win this year. Did not quite expect this margin.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shawshank Redemption

I thought Shawshank had a chance to win this year. Did not quite expect this margin.

It's flawless. The score alone is worth Best Picture. I think that's the problem with this bracket: More than one movie that are flawless, so it's just going to come down to which one is going to tug the right strings for each viewer just a little more. Naturally, being raped in prison is going to resonate most often at HCH.
    Legends of the fall would win if the criteria was a count of pretty poses by the lead actor. Add the score and scenery and subtract everything else and you have your clear winner.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Legends of The Fall
    chuck said:

It's flawless. The score alone is worth Best Picture. I think that's the problem with this bracket: More than one movie that are flawless, so it's just going to come down to which one is going to tug the right strings for each viewer just a little more. Naturally, being raped in prison is going to resonate most often at HCH.
    Legends of the fall would win if the criteria was a count of pretty poses by the lead actor. Add the score and scenery and subtract everything else and you have your clear winner.
    I was talking about Shawshank in the above post, but okay. Just saying there's really nothing to nitpick from multiple movies this year. Several are pretty much perfect.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pulp Fiction
    whlinder said:

I see movies winning awards these days and I am like what the fuck this piece of shit won but Shawshank and Pulp Fiction didn’t?

3 of the top 12 on IMDB
    https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?groups=top_100&sort=user_rating,desc
    And Schindler’s List was just one year earlier. Movies aren’t made like this anymore.

I don’t know how a prison movie can have so many memorable quotes but that’s what makes it amazing.

All the best movies @whlinder are TV shows now. I mean who even goes to a fucking movie theater anymore? It’s just gay ass comic book shit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pulp Fiction
    I would have bet $100k on @DerekJohnson voting for The Professional.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Legends of The Fall

I would have bet $100k on @DerekJohnson voting for The Professional.

I didn't realize The Professional was chock full o' Asian ladies...
  • Options
    IceManLikeGervinIceManLikeGervin Member Posts: 331
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Forest Gump
    My 10 favorite movies from 1994 were:

Fresh
    Sugarhill
    Crooklyn
    Mixed Nuts
    The Inkwell
    Hoop Dreams
    Above The Rim
    Natural Born Killers
    Surviving The Game
    Angels In The Outfield

But from the list I would go with Forest Gump...
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shawshank Redemption

chuck said:

I was talking about Shawshank in the above post, but okay. Just saying there's really nothing to nitpick from multiple movies this year. Several are pretty much perfect.
    My bad. Dont know how I got thst from your post. Maybe it was someone else. I dont know. I kind of suck lately
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,068
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shawshank Redemption
    Andy Dufresne, the man who crawled through 500 yards of shit.

Agree with @dnc about Dumb and Dumber. Literally any girl, big or small, who can quote dumb and dumber increases 1 whole spot on the hot meter for me.

Some polls to consider:

Best line from Dumb & Dumber, and Best line from Forrest Gump. My dark, dark horse is "Dear God, make be a bird, so I can fly far far away. (repeat)"
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,068
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shawshank Redemption

Prison rape beats basement rape at HCH.
    Never underestimate the Sisters.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Forest Gump
    Never even heard of Quiz Show or Leon: The Professional.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Quiz Show

Never even heard of Quiz Show or Leon: The Professional.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Legends of The Fall

Agree with @dnc about Dumb and Dumber. Literally any girl, big or small, who can quote dumb and dumber increases 1 whole spot on the hot meter for me.

Some polls to consider:

Best line from Dumb & Dumber, and Best line from Forrest Gump. My dark, dark horse is "Dear God, make be a bird, so I can fly far far away. (repeat)"

Dumb and Dumber is my wife's favorite movie. I guess it hit well with her group of friends when it came out, so it was one of those things the girls would get together and watch it all the time.

As for Forrest Gump, something not very commonly appreciated is that Jenny may be the biggest villain in movie history. From the point in the movie where she's first shown as an adult to the closing credits, she is 100% evil. Sometimes I wonder if this was intentional or if the writers/producers this in mind when they were making the movie.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Quiz Show

Some polls to consider:

Dumb and Dumber is my wife's favorite movie. I guess it hit well with her group of friends when it came out, so it was one of those things the girls would get together and watch it all the time.

As for Forrest Gump, something not very commonly appreciated is that Jenny may be the biggest villain in movie history. From the point in the movie where she's first shown as an adult to the closing credits, she is 100% evil. Sometimes I wonder if this was intentional or if the writers/producers this in mind when they were making the movie.
    Not evil, but extremely broken.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2021
    Shawshank Redemption
    In my opinion, this is the greatest movie ever made.

However, If anybody selected Pulp Fiction, Forest Gump, or Quiz Show, I wouldn't be upset. As each of these movies could win most years. Dumb and Dumber might be the greatest guilty pleasure movie of all-time.