Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Calvinism in College Football

2»

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Eight team model is good, 16 is better, but in reading this, I can't escape the thought that no matter what they do, we will get a yearly final four out of the same four SEC schools (Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU) with TOSU, Clemson, maybe Okie on occasion. They should call it "the tournament for schools that care about football"...8 or 16 would get us (PAC12) a seat at the kids table, but...same as it ever was.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,707
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fans tend to prefer dynasties

Fans don't want Cinderella to make it past the 2nd weekend in the big dance

Fans root for ITT and the New York Yankees

Daddy what's ITT?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2020

Expanding the playoff doesn't solve the problem. It's not like having eight teams in the playoffs will suddenly make Alabama not rape teams four through eight. What we're seeing in college football is human nature and capitalism in action. Remove all barriers to competition, and eventually one corporation will rule them all. Every time. If you're a fan of any racing series, you've seen a team/factory dominate to the point where rules have to be made to achieve competitive balance.

Eliminating the playoffs and going back to the way things were would have a chance of fixing college football (for fans of all but a handful of programs) after a while, as regional powerhouses would get a perhaps undeserved bump in the polls. Not only will that genie never be put back in the bottle, but it's not even a for-sure solution.

Professional sports leagues have the blueprint for success: competitive balancing. In college sports, the only real lever there would be scholarship limits. Just like the Super Bowl champ picks last, if you want competitive balance in CFB, you've gotta start reducing scholarship limits for programs in various tiers of the postseason rankings. This will never happen, though, so enjoy a decade of Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State winning bigly.

I need everybody to understand how drunk I was when I conceived of and typed out this plan to save college football. Not pants-shitting drunk, but that may have just been dumb luck. I just read this, vaguely recalling typing it, and I'm here to beat my chest at how coherent it is.

That was a 15-chin post adjusting for the 1:33 am poasting handicap.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

You're never putting the genie back in the bottle. Expand to 8 or this status quo will maintain forever.

Expand to 8 and you’ll at least see some upsets and every now and then see a different team in the final 4 and championship game.
    bingo
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I don't think the size of the tournament is going to change much of the results. The best PAC champ in recent memory was UW in 16 and we did not physically match up with Bama.

Without hard caps on coaching salary, some form of scholarship restrictions to stop oversigning, and revenue sharing across all programs (expanding on the bowl game revenue payout model) nothing changes, IMO. If CFB is going to be set up and run like a junior NFL, which it now is, it should have the same types of rules in place to encourage some semblance of parity.

The current setup is detrimental to the overall health of the sport and the ability of all programs to survive. "Beat them on the field" mantra is a tired trope that excuses the destruction of CFB that is occurring thanks to the Bama model.