Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This team doesn’t make any sense

2»

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2020
    AEB said:

Oh and for the run the ball crowd that are going to try to use Mike Leach as an exmaple. Mike refuses to run the ball ever, has run the same concepts out of the same formations for the past billion years, and he’s had some pretty shitty players. It makes it easy for DCs to drop 8 when they know your down by down tendency and for the players to recognize route concepts via presnap indicators like formation/splits etc. Joe Brady/Lincoln Riley/Andy Reid etc. have used rules/concepts stemming from leach but they have made it harder to defend via condensed formations, motions, mixing in the run, and by stretching his concepts vertically to press DBs downfield.

I would posit that the bolded portion is the missing part. We? have suffered from this deficiency for so long. Opposing Ds run 8 men in the box, take away the run, and disrupt the short, quick passing game. Until we? connect deep (hello wide open Ty Jones), defenses will disrupt our O. Seen this script for years now. Just like our 2 DL, bend don’t break defense, always gives up copious amounts of rushing yards especially against quality opponents. For that matter, substituting in freshman Cooper MacDonald and getting the ball stuffed in his face for two huge back to back plays is another example of things we? do that are aggravating (see freshman Tevis Bartlett in at SAM against ‘Bama leading to a TD and effectively losing the game after holding ‘Bama tight).
    I’m fine with the defensive strategy as I detailed earlier. They entice teams to run on early downs and trust the front 6/7 to get their fits. Honestly I think the inability to push the ball down the field is a recruiting issue but I do think Morris has the ability to push the ball. He’s just over correcting
  • Options

This is the smartest thing I have read...

Football strategy isn’t hard. Coaches make it hard by being fucking stupid.
    You can look to the NFL for exhibit A-Z. Some real dumbfuck coordinators in the league.
    As I like to say “coaches are glorified PE teachers”
    Thanks DDY
    What?
  • Options

AEB said:

Oh and for the run the ball crowd that are going to try to use Mike Leach as an exmaple. Mike refuses to run the ball ever, has run the same concepts out of the same formations for the past billion years, and he’s had some pretty shitty players. It makes it easy for DCs to drop 8 when they know your down by down tendency and for the players to recognize route concepts via presnap indicators like formation/splits etc. Joe Brady/Lincoln Riley/Andy Reid etc. have used rules/concepts stemming from leach but they have made it harder to defend via condensed formations, motions, mixing in the run, and by stretching his concepts vertically to press DBs downfield.

I would posit that the bolded portion is the missing part. We? have suffered from this deficiency for so long. Opposing Ds run 8 men in the box, take away the run, and disrupt the short, quick passing game. Until we? connect deep (hello wide open Ty Jones), defenses will disrupt our O. Seen this script for years now. Just like our 2 DL, bend don’t break defense, always gives up copious amounts of rushing yards especially against quality opponents. For that matter, substituting in freshman Cooper MacDonald and getting the ball stuffed in his face for two huge back to back plays is another example of things we? do that are aggravating (see freshman Tevis Bartlett in at SAM against ‘Bama leading to a TD and effectively losing the game after holding ‘Bama tight).
    I’m fine with the defensive strategy as I detailed earlier. They entice teams to run on early downs and trust the front 6/7 to get their fits. Honestly I think the inability to push the ball down the field is a recruiting issue but I do think Morris has the ability to push the ball. He’s just over correcting
    This might your most intelligent thread since you joined HH. It's a low bar but I'm still proud of you.
    It turns out when I’m SERIOUS, not 16-19 years old and not trolling, I’m actually not retarded.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The Utes 2nd and 3rd TD’s were so fucking irritating. For the 2nd, Ulo was out when Utah broke the long run inside in the 5. Never take him out. If you want someone else to play, Sirmon comes out.

A MLB can play every down and do for many schools as well as teams in the NFL. Ulo is too important to not have okay every down in a close game.

The third TD had the bullshit call against ZTF, but you can’t give up 6 right there. Need to be stout and at least hold them to 3. Bad coverage by Cook on the TD.

Cook gave up snaps to Williams in the 2nd half, but Williams was fucking up too. He did look more decisive and active then he had in the past. Turner is a huge pussy and needs to be challenged. I’m not very pleased with the play at safety.

The substituting patterns have been frustrating for years. Clearly, they have a script they stick to. The one major adjustment I’ve seen is when they played Elijah Qualls at SAM against Bama and we got stouter up front. Then you sub Tevis. Ouch. You don’t take Ulo out. You don’t do that.
  • Options

The Utes 2nd and 3rd TD’s were so fucking irritating. For the 2nd, Ulo was out when Utah broke the long run inside in the 5. Never take him out. If you want someone else to play, Sirmon comes out.

A MLB can play every down and do for many schools as well as teams in the NFL. Ulo is too important to not have okay every down in a close game.

The third TD had the bullshit call against ZTF, but you can’t give up 6 right there. Need to be stout and at least hold them to 3. Bad coverage by Cook on the TD.

Cook gave up snaps to Williams in the 2nd half, but Williams was fucking up too. He did look more decisive and active then he had in the past. Turner is a huge pussy and needs to be challenged. I’m not very pleased with the play at safety.

Cam just got back from an injury lat week. He is better in coverage than Cook. He’ll be better at tackling. Turner looks like a strong safety but in actually he’s our centerfielder. He is good in coverage but don’t expect any big hits or huge plays down at the LOS until 2021-2022. He
  • Options
    whlinder said:

AEB said:

This might your most intelligent thread since you joined HH. It's a low bar but I'm still proud of you.
    It turns out when I’m SERIOUS, not 16-19 years old and not trolling, I’m actually not retarded.
    BTP is SERIOUS about poasting now?
    I’m a SERIOUS poaster.
  • Options

This is the smartest thing I have read...

Football strategy isn’t hard. Coaches make it hard by being fucking stupid.
    You can look to the NFL for exhibit A-Z. Some real dumbfuck coordinators in the league.
    As I like to say “coaches are glorified PE teachers”
    Thanks DDY
    What?
    This was a DDY saying on the TSIO pods.
    On that’s where I probably got it from, they haven’t podded in so long 😂
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    AEB said:

Pretty sure it was bbk not travis
  • Options
    edited November 2020

This is what happens when you consistently put your QB who may have some physical limitations pushing the ball downfield in 3rd and long all night.
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic

Agree on all of this. Ulo can never come out. The drop off is large. Sirmon is a liability himself so we know the third stringer isn’t going to help the situation.

We also had a DL rotation that drive. Bandes was in and they were getting destroyed at the line of scrimmage. Levi never amazed me, but I’d take him over Tryon (assuming Bowman and Latu aren’t out all year).

Asa is soft. He never wants to square up a player in the open field. Have him watch tape of Molden tackle. I’d be fine with the coaches giving Kyler looks at safety to get the best players on the field.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

What I want to know is if a better pairing at linebacker wouldn't be moving Ulo to WIL and starting Tuputala at MIKE. Something has to give.