Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A few thoughts

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited November 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
I stayed out of the game thread last night for my own sanity's sake so I'm sure most (or even all) of this has been covered, but here are some observations:

Morris is accurate, confident and decisive. We still need to see how he responds to a pass rush that beats him up and turning it over, but he looks legitimately above average at the very least and probably good. Even his deep ball issues seem to be improving. If he can stop the Jake Locker ten yard overthrows he's going to be really tough to beat. He might even hold Sam off for a year if that happens.

The receiver drops are massively aggravating but I think they will work themselves out. Everyone is trying too hard to make a play right now, as they settle in it will start to come. The more important thing for me is they're all open - the lot of them. Not counting the TE's we have five or six receivers who can consistently get open and a scheme that gets them open. The catches will come.

This team believes in itself and is having fun. Jimmy Lake is a cocky son of a bitch and it may bite him in the ass at some point but right now he has this team believing and enjoying itself for the first time since Azeem Victor died and someone else inhabited his body. The emotion of Ulofoshio and Morris especially is so refreshing and contagious. We've long dreamed of a team that talks shit, now we have a team and a coach who do. Enjoy it while we can.

The defense is NASTY. Aside the two drives where OSU got to us on the ground (with probably the best RB in the conference) the first and second team defense have been nails. They shut down Arizona for three quarters yesterday while only getting one turnover despite hitting hard, rushing the passer well and being constantly around the ball. They'll play better opponents but even so they'll get more TO's most games. Best talent we've had yet + Kwat back at DC = best UW defense of the Pete/Lake era.

I can't remember a bigger turnaround from one game to the next from a ST unit. Didn't look like the same unit aside from the Henry misses. Coverage units should be good with as much speed and athleticism as we have. Returners should be good at worst. This unit should make some things happen.

Speaking of ST: The fake FG set the tone for the game. Jimmy No Balls big balled the first drive and we never looked back. Absolutely love the decision, the play call, the execution. Cockiness comes when coaches believe their players can impose their will. Contrast that with Pete's infamous unwillingness to go for it on fourth down early in his tenure. If there's one area Lake seems to have potential to be a clear upgrade over Pete it's in his mentality. That shit's contagious and it appears to already be spreading.

I'm assuming guys like Cam Davis (who has surprisingly good hands), Heimuli and Smalls are going to get more and more PT as we go. Which brings me to my last thought:

This team is YOUNG. Aside from two corners (where we simply reload), Kirkland and maybe Otten) what major contributors are we likely to lose after this season? They could be really good for awhile. Especially if Morris takes a step (he should) and/or Sam is even better (he should be).

The defense collapse down the stretch is disconcerting and the over reliance on the running game still has me nervous, but damn that shit was impressive yesterday. Hard not to be cautiously optimistic. Gotta destroy teams and keep the foot on the gas going forward.

Comments

• TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2020
    Well Jimmie was out of his MIND for running the fake punt but the team obviously liked the obvious Balls move and the ultimate vote of confidence so that’s a powerful statement to make right off the bat while everyone is wondering how good your offense is
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    tldr: 2024 will be SPECIAL
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Re: youth on the team

6 starters on defense are sophomores - Taki (Tuli if he was healthy), ZTF (Latu if he was healthy), Ulofoshio, Sirmon, McDuffie, and Asa. Throw in Cook as a first time starter as a Junior.

Offense is just as young - Morris, Bynum, Puka, Newton/Davis, Ale, Bain, Curne.

Remember that there are single digit seniors on this team, and barely double digit juniors. Definitely set up for success long term. And the even younger backups are getting live fire exercise reps as well.

2021 and 2022 will be speshul POTD, but still.

Doug Doug Doug !!!