Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

the market speaks on $15 an hour

topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
unitedliberty.org/articles/17751-warning-to-seattle-seatac-businesses-slashing-benefits-overtime-in-wake-of-wage-hike

Are you happy with the $15 wage?” I asked the full-time cleaning lady.

“It sounds good, but it’s not good,” the woman said.

“Why?” I asked.

“I lost my 401k, health insurance, paid holiday, and vacation,” she responded. “No more free food,” she added.

The hotel used to feed her. Now, she has to bring her own food. Also, no overtime, she said. She used to work extra hours and received overtime pay.

What else? I asked.

“I have to pay for parking,” she said.

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2014
    I just dont know why they stopped at 15.... Should just go to 50. More money equals a better economy and happier people. Fact.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

They think they are helping the workers making $9.50 an hour and what will happen will all of those people will simply make more. The reality is some off them might, but at $15 the labor supply will grow and there will be more competition for those jobs. The pool people will be better educated, better communication skills (I.e. They speak English) and will take the jobs from those that this is meant to help. They are essentially making it against the law for people who are worth $9.50 to have a job.

Also, demand for labor in that sector will decrease, further squeezing them out. I LOLd at the guy holding the sign demanding a $15 wage...it was in Spanish. He was basically asking the council to outlaw his ability to work.

To the degree that any of this affects the economy is related to how close the wage is to equilibrium. In the past I suspect minimum wage was close to equilibrium and the increases in the wage we small so the affect wasn't dramatic. This increase seems much larger is the affects could be more pronounced.

Seattle also has a fairly strong economy that can absorb some of this, but I think the bottom line is a bot of people who think they are getting a raise will get a big fat zero.

Line

Leave Mrs Blitzkrieg out of this.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    priapism said:
    If they were paid 100k they could probably keep the rapists out.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So wait....You're saying that even though we gave people more money, we aren't really getting more money because we aren't producing more? That makes no sense!
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    People should only have to work 4 hours and be paid for 8. I read some article about how Europe is a way better place because of free time and stuff.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Europe rules, because you can get addicted to smack and get it for free from the government for the rest of your life. What a great place!
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    EVERY ounce counts when you're trying to make weight. She really seemed to care and put more effort into her work.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mad_Son said:

The idea behind a higher minimum wage is that the money will come out of corporate profits and executive salaries.

Executives didn't become executives by allowing workers to be fairly compensated and letting profits fall. That is a downside to reality.

Needed to balance D2D's, Mike Damone's and CuntWaffle's FS economic propaganda spooge.
  • Options

I just dont know why they stopped at 15.... Should just go to 50. More money equals a better economy and happier people. Fact.

I've had that conversation. They use a false argument that more money for people to spend will be multiplied and help the economy. It's false because productivity has not changed and they may be taking money that could be used for capital investment may be taking money meant to put that new swimming pool in your CEO's private jet.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

People should only have to work 4 hours and be paid for 8. I read some article about how Europe is a way better place because of free time and stuff.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

They think they are helping the workers making $9.50 an hour and what will happen will all of those people will simply make more. The reality is some off them might, but at $15 the labor supply will grow and there will be more competition for those jobs. The pool people will be better educated, better communication skills (I.e. They speak English) and will take the jobs from those that this is meant to help. They are essentially making it against the law for people who are worth $9.50 to have a job.

Also, demand for labor in that sector will decrease, further squeezing them out. I LOLd at the guy holding the sign demanding a $15 wage...it was in Spanish. He was basically asking the council to outlaw his ability to work.

To the degree that any of this affects the economy is related to how close the wage is to equilibrium. In the past I suspect minimum wage was close to equilibrium and the increases in the wage we small so the affect wasn't dramatic. This increase seems much larger is the affects could be more pronounced.

Seattle also has a fairly strong economy that can absorb some of this, but I think the bottom line is a bot of people who think they are getting a raise will get a big fat zero.

Line

Leave Mrs Blitzkrieg out of this.
    Pictures of Mrs. Blitzkrieg's big fat zero or get the fuck out.