Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

George R.R. Martin’s request to build Santa Fe castle denied

2»

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Fuck that guy. How do you create something so perfect (the first 3 books) and then outright refuse to finish it. ASoS came out in like 99 for fucks fucking sake.

Books 4 and 5 were horrible.

5 was bloated as hell but pieces of it are some of GRRM's best work IMO. Mostly the Grand Northern Conspiracy stuff, everything to do with Theon, Stannis, Asha, Davos etc. The show completely ignored this storyline 100%, god I still get triggered thinking about it.

“Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neither of them are at Terry Pratchett’s (RIP) level. Don’t bother arguing, you’re just wrong.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

Fuck that guy. How do you create something so perfect (the first 3 books) and then outright refuse to finish it. ASoS came out in like 99 for fucks fucking sake.

5 was bloated as hell but pieces of it are some of GRRM's best work IMO. Mostly the Grand Northern Conspiracy stuff, everything to do with Theon, Stannis, Asha, Davos etc. The show completely ignored this storyline 100%, god I still get triggered thinking about it.

“Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”
    5 was awesome. Almost as good as 3. However it was also his downfall. He set the stage for too many characters and plot lines that he clearly can't finish. The story he wants to tell is impossible to tell.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stormlight is fucking amazing and Sanderson is prolific. He is the like Stephen King of fantasy. He cranks out books at an alarming clip. He also finished Jordans Wheel of time while still writing his own books. I agree that when GRRM dies from Covid, BS should be given the keys to the kingdom. Rothfuss wrote two wonderful books in '08 and '11. It's been nine years since book two came out and he's only put out one novella and it was BORING. He has major writers block and doesn't want to ruin his opus. I'm not holding out hope for him.
    Anyone ever read Joe Abercrombie? The First Law trilogy and subsequent side stories are really, really good. The Bloody Nine is one of the most brutal, badass characters I have ever read in a book.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Stormlight is fucking amazing and Sanderson is prolific. He is the like Stephen King of fantasy. He cranks out books at an alarming clip. He also finished Jordans Wheel of time while still writing his own books. I agree that when GRRM dies from Covid, BS should be given the keys to the kingdom. Rothfuss wrote two wonderful books in '08 and '11. It's been nine years since book two came out and he's only put out one novella and it was BORING. He has major writers block and doesn't want to ruin his opus. I'm not holding out hope for him.
    Anyone ever read Joe Abercrombie? The First Law trilogy and subsequent side stories are really, really good. The Bloody Nine is one of the most brutal, badass characters I have ever read in a book.

All of this is correct
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

5 was awesome. Almost as good as 3. However it was also his downfall. He set the stage for too many characters and plot lines that he clearly can't finish. The story he wants to tell is impossible to tell.
    GRRMs writers block and feeling overwhelmed on how to finish is exactly the same way I feel when mom dumps the laundry on my bed without folding it.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Never read any of this shit and you guys make me very grateful for my life decisions.

To each their own, and I know I’m in the minority, but I’ve never understood how grown adult men can like that type of fiction.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601

dnc said:

Never read any of this shit and you guys make me very grateful for my life decisions.

To each their own, and I know I’m in the minority, but I’ve never understood how grown adult men can like that type of fiction.
    You don't understand how people like stories?

Every human being since the beginning of time likes fictional stories.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Eh, I get it. I read the LOTRs and the Hobbit as an adult and loved them. Reread the Chronicles of Narnia as an adult and they held up. I'm sure I would have gotten just as hooked on Martin's stuff as the others here and been just as pissed about the (non) ending.

It's like if Lost just ended after Season 4, which I can't decide if that would be better or worse than what did happen.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Every human being since the beginning of time likes fictional stories
    Bit of an overstatement here.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,871

dnc said:

That's pretty well the entire basis of critical race theory.....

Like that time LeBron was hunted LIKE A DOG!!!

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Used to care but the ending of the series made me hate everything else so much now I don't give one flying fuck and probably won't bother with it even if it returns.

Truly, the huskies of fiction writing.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2020

dnc said:

I like fictional stories too, but prefer ones based in reality and not with dragons, witchcraft, aliens, mutants, time travel, etc. I already said I know I’m in the minority. Superhero movies are the biggest box office draw because people like them. GOT was the biggest show on tv.