Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Gold and Silver

2»

Comments

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,461
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

My broker suggests more like 100% into silver and gold.

I laughed way too hard at this.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Freepuka said:

No.

Real estate is where it's at

Residential or commercial? I’m a loan officer so I agree to a certain point. Residential real estate is just expensive and the ROI on rentals is too minimal right now unless you get a smoking deal.
    You always make your money in real estate when you buy it.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

My broker suggests more like 100% into silver and gold.

HOF post.
    Doogles said:

I laughed way too hard at this.

I like to think you can tell who had a shit childhood by who didn't chin.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Freepuka said:

So the consensus is there’s no consensus. I’ve never considered it until recently but I want some alternative to diversify.

The American dollar is so fucked. There will be hyperinflation. The Fed will keep printing money. Shit, they can’t print is as fast as they are promising to spend it at this point.

Lol no. Assets are good though. You don't need that much cash.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited August 2020

I have bought a little silver over the last few years. I always recommend getting the physical stuff, rather than going with the stock/certificate route. I think up to 100 physical ounces is fine, then after that I'd switch to gold. But I definitely would not make this my only route. In my opinion, gold and silver should not be an investment driver, it should be looked as more of a diversification tool and a fail safe if the economy tanks. Gold and Silver will always have some value, other investments can go to zero.

While anything is possible, is that likely to ever be the case? I'm trying to imagine a world where timber and mining assets, technology, biomedical, food, textiles, energy etc. etc. go to zero, and a hunk of metal becomes supremely valuable. If those things are at 0, gold is useless other than for making jewelry.

Otherwise, @HoustonHusky hit it: the things that will drive gold higher should drive other asset classes higher as well.

It's just another commodity.

No.

They're not making more of it, and you can use it, unlike a hunk of metal.

If you're looking for a natural hedge against inflation, timber is a good place because of organic growth. You're not going to hit a homerun with timber; it's a long play. But it's as close to a sure thing long play as there is. Plus, there is the underlying land ownership that goes with it.
    edited August 2020

No.

Real estate blows in Texas...lots of land and it’s the primary method of taxation here on the local and state level. But I agree it’s going to appreciate the same way...all hard assets will.
    True. My uncle is in DWF and is a true Texas convert from the PNW. Loves it down there and is always trying to talk me into moving there to live in the gated golf community he calls home. It's tempting because I could sell my place in Seattle and by 2 and 1/2 places on a course each of which is bigger and nicer than my Seattle place.

But, the big catch is the proerty tax, which shocked the shit out of me. Texas hits you hard there. It's a huge number. About the only thing worse would be an income tax.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

No.

Real estate blows in Texas...lots of land and it’s the primary method of taxation here on the local and state level. But I agree it’s going to appreciate the same way...all hard assets will.
    True. My uncle is in DWF and is a true Texas convert from the PNW. Loves it down there and is always trying to talk me into moving there to live in the gated golf community he calls home. It's tempting because I could sell my place in Seattle and by 2 and 1/2 places on a course each of which is bigger and nicer than my Seattle place.

But, the big catch is the proerty tax, which shocked the shit out of me. Texas hits you hard there. It's a huge number. About the only thing worse would be an income tax.
    Prop 13(capping property taxes and taking a super majority to overturn) is one of the lasting legacies of California as a red state. The dems are once again mounting an offensive on it this fall because obviously we need more money to pay teachers to sit at home.

If they ever manage to overturn it I'll at least have the solace of knowing all these wealthy libs will end up paying through the teeth.
    edited August 2020

No.

Prop 13(capping property taxes and taking a super majority to overturn) is one of the lasting legacies of California as a red state. The dems are once again mounting an offensive on it this fall because obviously we need more money to pay teachers to sit at home.

If they ever manage to overturn it I'll at least have the solace of knowing all these wealthy libs will end up paying through the teeth.
    We? are going to have to revisit our public school/teachers' union arrangement in this country eventually. It doesn't work. Paid hansomely relative to initial and ongoing input, and job security like few others, all to deliver a luke warm product.

And the real bitch about property taxes is that there is no way to hide from it. There is no structure of which I'm aware that allows you to hide from it or lessen it. And, as we've discovered, the government will never give you a holiday from it either. There was not one single peep from Inslee about lessening the burden by reducting property taxes. Not one.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

No.

Property tax increases of substantial amounts are coming to you in King County. The drop in commercial property values due to COVID is going to mean big hikes on residential properties. Straight from the County Assessor's mouth.

No.

Property tax increases of substantial amounts are coming to you in King County. The drop in commercial property values due to COVID is going to mean big hikes on residential properties. Straight from the County Assessor's mouth.
    Chinned for the warning, not the content.