Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pac-12 player group threatens to opt out, makes list of demands on injustice, safety

2»

Comments

• Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Have fun in the MWC, Cuog.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Title ix is what gave us gender neutral bathrooms in schools, which moved quickly to state laws expanding that beyond schools.

https://education.findlaw.com/discrimination-harassment-at-school/title-ix-protections-for-transgender-students.html

Title IX prohibits sex-based discrimination in schools and other education programs that receive federal funding. Given that the vast majority of schools receive some form of federal funding, Title IX's reach is wide. Although many people associate Title IX with college and high school athletic programs, the law applies to participation in other extracurricular activities such as school bands and clubs, and it protects students from sex-based discrimination in general.

The Tricky Dick rules
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I know this Coog action is titillating to all of those on this bored who hate the players, but this is a hilariously bad move PR and negotiation-wise

Makes me look forward to all the additional terrible decisions and responses we will see from the conference and other schools in the coming days

Staggeringly stupid move, on many levels. Foremost, this will probably be a moot poont because the season will be cancelled. It may well burn out on its own, but if something comes of it, decisions will be made above Rolo’s pay grade.

ATBS, Go Cuogs!!!
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I didn't think it was possible to hire a coach dumber than Leach, never underestimate the coug
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

Just get rid of CFB. My care meter is pegged on low. Perhaps the kids shouldn't have picked this moment in history to make a huge list of demands. Strike while the iron is hot and all but after 40 M out of work, truncated season, and riots everywhere, I'm not sure that many people honestly give a fuck anymore. I know I don't. Could care less if UW ever plays a football game again. If they do, with student athletes, I might watch. If they do it with revenue sharing employees, I won't. Simple.

If the kids really want all this, and I support their right to go for it, then just form the D league now and get to it. Maybe it will work like gangbusters for them. I won't watch so I don't care, but maybe others do care?

Best part of the collapse of college football is that Oregon never won a NC before they went semi-pro. Suck it Ducks!

POTY, and it’s been quite a year...
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The further away in age of the players I become the less I seem to care.

You run the gauntlet from idolizing Kaufman and Bailey as a child to respecting Locker as a peer to appreciating the next wave of OKGs bringing the program back, but all this woke shit isn't for me.

Being a D1 athlete at a power5 is akin to being a God for 4 years. All the gear, all the food, travel, opportunities, paid for school, notoriety, girls, tutors, experience, etc.

Blow it up, saves me money.

• Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    ntxduck said:

HuskyJW said:

ntxduck said:

Seems none of them are familiar with Title IX

Been saying for years that’s the most straightforward solution. Axe title 9, turn the non rev sports into club sports, provide a standard base salary to p5 football and basketball players with that pot.
    I don’t think people know what Titke IX is.

Do people really think it’s is about scholarships? There is a lot more to it. They aren’t going to reduce women’s participation because Ty Jones wants to be paid money.
    The irony of the situation is that, for the purpose of reducing discrimination in college athletics, they want to repel the very law that outlaws discrimination in federally funded programs.
    Don’t think it’s that ironic. Like a lot of legislation, it was passed with good intentions at a time when legislation was needed. As times have changed, the regulation has become more and more outdated.
    It is a law (1972).

I seriously doubt that the women of the United States would agree with your suggestion.

You know, fairness, equality, etc.

• Options
    ntxduck said:

Been saying for years that’s the most straightforward solution. Axe title 9, turn the non rev sports into club sports, provide a standard base salary to p5 football and basketball players with that pot.
    Axing Title IX is NOT an option.

I’ve got a better solution. Let the NFL and NBA fund their own minor league systems, instead of the NCAA.

Let the players negotiate with the NFL and NBA.

The leagues are all in on BLM and make tons of money. Seems like a very logical solution.

• Options
    ntxduck said:

HuskyJW said:

ntxduck said:

I don’t think people know what Titke IX is.

Do people really think it’s is about scholarships? There is a lot more to it. They aren’t going to reduce women’s participation because Ty Jones wants to be paid money.
    The irony of the situation is that, for the purpose of reducing discrimination in college athletics, they want to repel the very law that outlaws discrimination in federally funded programs.
    Don’t think it’s that ironic. Like a lot of legislation, it was passed with good intentions at a time when legislation was needed. As times have changed, the regulation has become more and more outdated.
    It’s not a “regulation” . . . It’s a law.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    There are very few football players that even earn their scholarship let alone extra money
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    HuskyJW said:

There are very few football players that even earn their scholarship let alone extra money

Good point
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

The further away in age of the players I become the less I seem to care.

You run the gauntlet from idolizing Kaufman and Bailey as a child to respecting Locker as a peer to appreciating the next wave of OKGs bringing the program back, but all this woke shit isn't for me.

Being a D1 athlete at a power5 is akin to being a God for 4 years. All the gear, all the food, travel, opportunities, paid for school, notoriety, girls, tutors, experience, etc.

Blow it up, saves me money.

When the season gets cancelled I was planning to just roll my already bought season tickets into 2021. Now I think I would like a full refund out of spite.