Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Buy or Sell?

georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,587
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Chances of Desaun Jackson playing for the Eagles (Whenever they get back on the field). If only Drew Brees discussed a fake Hitler quote defaming Jews instead of standing up for respecting the Flag.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/drew-brees-detractors-largely-silent-over-desean-jacksons-anti-semitic-social-media-posts

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    He's going to play just like Riley Cooper did.

You saying he shouldn't get to play?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I'm not leaning either way because frankly the NFL has lost my interest.

Do you think the Riley Cooper situation is apples to apples?

After all, one was a spur of the moment (most likely) alcohol induced tirade. The other seems a little more thought out.

Either way- it's up to the franchise, and if his 40 time is still decent.
  • Options

dnc said:

After all, one was a spur of the moment (most likely) alcohol induced tirade. The other seems a little more thought out.

It's pretty close considering Cooper's slur is derogatory to half his team while Jackson's twats don't directly affect anyone in his locker room.

I support the team addressing both as issues but keeping both employed and on the field
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Brees is a closer comp

He caved. Jack will double down
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

It's pretty close considering Cooper's slur is derogatory to half his team while Jackson's twats don't directly affect anyone in his locker room.

I support the team addressing both as issues but keeping both employed and on the field
    So it only affects the locker room? Jackson might want to directly connect with the owner of the team on that one.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

So it only affects the locker room? Jackson might want to directly connect with the owner of the team on that one.
    Not saying it only affects the locker room. If it did then what Jackson did wouldn't need to be apologized for and what Cooper did would be far worse.

But the locker room is damn sure a consideration.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I think the difference in these two incidents is more about the victim culture we’ve created than it is any sort of hypocrisy. Other than Josh Rosen and Mitchell Schwartz, how many Jewish players are there to be offended? The black players don’t care because the Hitler/Farrakhan quotes don’t offend them personally, just as the NBA can exploit China and ignore the Muslim internment camps because it isn’t happening to them.

Most people only care for themselves because these younger people have been taught they are all special enough to be offended.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Not apples to apples. In some ways Cooper's was worse in that his slur was directly offensive to a large portion of his colleagues. Desean's was worse in the sense that he clearly put thought, as little as he has, into making his post. As you mentioned, it wasn't spur of the moment.

I generally don't think anyone should be "cancelled" for posting dumb shit at this level. I also don't give a fuck if their employer decides that their dumbfuckness is nonetheless cancel-worthy.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I think the difference in these two incidents is more about the victim culture we’ve created than it is any sort of hypocrisy. Other than Josh Rosen and Mitchell Schwartz, how many Jewish players are there to be offended? The black players don’t care because the Hitler/Farrakhan quotes don’t offend them personally, just as the NBA can exploit China and ignore the Muslim internment camps because it isn’t happening to them.

Most people only care for themselves because these younger people have been taught they are all special enough to be offended.

It's even worse than that. A cursory glance of responses from around the league shows more players supporting Desean Jackson than denouncing him. Shit, Stephen Jackson (the basketball one) posted an even more ignorant defense of Desean's initial post.

"So I just read a statement that the Philadelphia Eagles posted regarding DeSean Jackson's comments. He was trying to educate himself, educate people, and he's speaking the truth. Right? He's speaking the truth. You know he don't hate nobody, but he's speaking the truth of the facts that he knows and trying to educate others,"

Apparently Desean was speaking the truth about Jews wanting to take over the world and oppress black society in the process. That Hitler guy was right all along. Eagles WR Marquise Goodwin then responds with his own endorsement to Stephen Jackson's post.

Fucking mind boggling.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2020

It's even worse than that. A cursory glance of responses from around the league shows more players supporting Desean Jackson than denouncing him. Shit, Stephen Jackson (the basketball one) posted an even more ignorant defense of Desean's initial post.

"So I just read a statement that the Philadelphia Eagles posted regarding DeSean Jackson's comments. He was trying to educate himself, educate people, and he's speaking the truth. Right? He's speaking the truth. You know he don't hate nobody, but he's speaking the truth of the facts that he knows and trying to educate others,"

Apparently Desean was speaking the truth about Jews wanting to take over the world and oppress black society in the process. That Hitler guy was right all along. Eagles WR Marquise Goodwin then responds with his own endorsement to Stephen Jackson's post.

Fucking mind boggling.
    People in general have no issues with ignorance as long as the ignorance isn't directed to them. It highlights how hypocritical people truly are. Athletes and other high profile individuals are no different. All they care about is themselves and "their team" (whether it's their race, their gender, their sexual preference, their age, etc) than society in general.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've never been one to think athletes need to speak out and this is why.

Ali was unique in that he was facing 5 years in prison. He was living it

We know the media wants a certain kind of speaking out. Brees spoke out. Not approved

I'm not outraged by any of this.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Fucking mind boggling.
    People in general have no issues with ignorance as long as the ignorance isn't directed to them. It highlights how simply ignorant people are.
    Selfishness has a lot to do with it for younger people, too. If they ever do get their true Communism, it will be difficult for the old Commies to get the youth to fall in line. Nobody is special, theoretically, in Communism. Yet now if you are in your teens and don’t have your own Instagram and Tik Tok to show how special you are, you’re out of the loop.

“I’m special, look at me,” doesn’t work in Communism.

Reconciling those two disparate points seems impossible.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Not saying it only affects the locker room. If it did then what Jackson did wouldn't need to be apologized for and what Cooper did would be far worse.

Checkaroo- And since America is "Only" 12% black, whites shouldn't be as concerned when people make racial comments. Glad to see it just comes down to numbers.

BTW- according to this article there are nearly 200K Jewish households in the Philly area. Is that more or less important than the locker room? Tell me again who buys tix/gear/watches games on tv? Is it the locker room guys?

https://whyy.org/articles/as-jewish-population-in-philly-region-expands-so-does-definition-of-who-is-considered-jewish/
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Checkaroo- And since America is "Only" 12% black, whites shouldn't be as concerned when people make racial comments. Glad to see it just comes down to numbers.

BTW- according to this article there are nearly 200K Jewish households in the Philly area. Is that more or less important than the locker room? Tell me again who buys tix/gear/watches games on tv? Is it the locker room guys?

https://whyy.org/articles/as-jewish-population-in-philly-region-expands-so-does-definition-of-who-is-considered-jewish/
    Your reading comprehension is bad.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

dnc said:

Not apples to apples. In some ways Cooper's was worse in that his slur was directly offensive to a large portion of his colleagues. Desean's was worse in the sense that he clearly put thought, as little as he has, into making his post. As you mentioned, it wasn't spur of the moment.

I generally don't think anyone should be "cancelled" for posting dumb shit at this level. I also don't give a fuck if their employer decides that their dumbfuckness is nonetheless cancel-worthy.
    I disagree with you on this. Jackson is an athlete and he represents his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles. What he says gets tied directly to the organization, just like if you work for Edward Jones and make an outlandish social media post. Edwards Jones is going to be associated with your posts.

To the teammates individually it might not matter, but from the grand scale of things, hate speech is hate speech. The size of the audience or representation of the audience should not matter one bit.
  • Options

dnc said:

I disagree with you on this. Jackson is an athlete and he represents his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles. What he says gets tied directly to the organization, just like if you work for Edward Jones and make an outlandish social media post. Edwards Jones is going to be associated with your posts.

To the teammates individually it might not matter, but from the grand scale of things, hate speech is hate speech. The size of the audience or representation of the audience should not matter one bit.
    Shannon Sharpe actually defended Louis Farrakhan this morning on FS1 as part of his defense of Jackson.

There will be no repercussions to defending an anti-Semite because we all know why but but there is “systemic racism” in the USA. Clown world.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I doubt the locker room cares. They play football. Most people don’t give a shit what their co-worker says or does unless it’s really bad.
    In Jackson's case I agree completely. It was affecting the Saints locker room which is a big part of why Brees had to apologize.

And I'm pretty sure Cooper's teammates weren't thrilled he dropped the N word.