Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jake Heaps beat out for Kansas Qb1

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,887
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Which state of these 12 is Washington a better producer than from a talent standpoint?

Texas
    California
    Florida
    Ohio
    Michigan
    Louisiana
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Virginia
    North Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Maryland

Or if you want to go further how about comparing to states like Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Illinois, Oklahoma, and New Jersey.

Washington ranks somewhere around 15-25 for top talent producing states.

Top talent producing state superiority guy
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Interesting to see that the Elite 11 is pretty meaningless. After looking at TequillaTLDR's link to MgoBlog, I looked at the Elite 11 for 2010 and 2011 and found that they generally get about 1-2 out of 11 being significant contributors:

2010 had Teddy Bridgewater and Everett Gholson. No others that really saw the field.
    2011 had Jameis Winston. Ditto. Mariota and Manziel were in this class but not Elite 11.

2008 was a good year for the Elite 11: Tajh Boyd (great), AJ McCarron (great), Zach Mettenberger (turned out well), Aaron Murray (great) , Geno Smith (great).
    2007: Jacory Harris (meh), Blaine Gabbert (very good), Landry Jones (good), Andrew Luck (awesome), EJ Manuel (sucks).
    2006: Stephen Garcia (lol), Tyrod Taylor (who?), Ryan Mallett (lol).
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Could also be that there hasn't been a ton of great QB play out there recently.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Clearly there's going to be busts from good states and guys that are going to rise up from the middle of nowhere. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I said as much.

My point being that you have more evidence with good players from good states as to knowing whether they have the ability to rise up at competition levels or not.

And yes, you are absolutely right, part of good recruiting is being able to understand how much more you can get out of a player and then having the ability to get that talent out of them.

Water is wet. Your posts are basically saying there is better talent in CA and Texas than Washington. I'm not sure what your point is.

The point being that if PGOS says that Washington is in the top 12 of talent producing states in the country, that it's just flat out wrong given the data.

Moreover, that while clearly bigger states have better players, I do think that there's a certain amount of truth to big fish in a little pond having to prove themselves a bit when they are faced with a bit of competition. Some respond really well to that and step up their game to confirm that they are the big fish. Others get hit in the mouth and don't respond at all. In bigger states, while there is definitely still a bit of that going on, it's less pronounced compared to states where the difference between the great players and good players is more extreme.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Now he's going to transfer. How many schools is this now?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    It will be a great day for some MAC or D2 program when they are able to sign a former #1 AB recruit in the nation.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I'll bet Eastern Washington!
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Eastern's QB is a junior and broke records last year. He is better than Heaps. Montana's QB is better than Heaps too. He's going somewhere shitty. Maybe he already graduated and can go to a shitty FBS team that needs a QB.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,605
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Clearly there's going to be busts from good states and guys that are going to rise up from the middle of nowhere. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I said as much.

My point being that you have more evidence with good players from good states as to knowing whether they have the ability to rise up at competition levels or not.

And yes, you are absolutely right, part of good recruiting is being able to understand how much more you can get out of a player and then having the ability to get that talent out of them.

Water is wet. Your posts are basically saying there is better talent in CA and Texas than Washington. I'm not sure what your point is.

The point being that if PGOS says that Washington is in the top 12 of talent producing states in the country, that it's just flat out wrong given the data.

Moreover, that while clearly bigger states have better players, I do think that there's a certain amount of truth to big fish in a little pond having to prove themselves a bit when they are faced with a bit of competition. Some respond really well to that and step up their game to confirm that they are the big fish. Others get hit in the mouth and don't respond at all. In bigger states, while there is definitely still a bit of that going on, it's less pronounced compared to states where the difference between the great players and good players is more extreme.
    I still think WA is right around #12. Maryland, virginia, nc, etc., are all on equal or lesser footing
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I forgot, and now I feel stoopid. Their QB went wild against OSU last year, if I remember right. Good player.

Eastern's QB is a junior and broke records last year. He is better than Heaps. Montana's QB is better than Heaps too. He's going somewhere shitty. Maybe he already graduated and can go to a shitty FBS team that needs a QB.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    There's always Ricks College.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah.... fuck

Heaps is white a good kid from a good family. What an insightful post you ignant bitch biatch1. What a turd.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

Interesting to see that the Elite 11 is pretty meaningless. After looking at TequillaTLDR's link to MgoBlog, I looked at the Elite 11 for 2010 and 2011 and found that they generally get about 1-2 out of 11 being significant contributors:

2010 had Teddy Bridgewater and Everett Gholson. No others that really saw the field.
    2011 had Jameis Winston. Ditto. Mariota and Manziel were in this class but not Elite 11.

2008 was a good year for the Elite 11: Tajh Boyd (great), AJ McCarron (great), Zach Mettenberger (turned out well), Aaron Murray (great) , Geno Smith (great).
    2007: Jacory Harris (meh), Blaine Gabbert (very good), Landry Jones (good), Andrew Luck (awesome), EJ Manuel (sucks).

It's almost as if teen boy stocking is useless profession and not very effective in predicting future outcomes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

I'm a firm believer that one of the hardest things to recruit is the player that doesn't have a ton of competition. When you recruit in states like California, Texas, Florida, etc., even the shit teams in the best leagues will have 2-3 D1 players on them. You can get a good idea of whether a player has it or not. The toughest guys to recruit are kids like Heaps and a lot of Bellevue kids because they are so much better than the competition that it's hard to tell what happens to them when they have to step up.

The guys in that situation you are looking for are those that go to national situations and make a leap up tied to their competition and continue to show up and be the alpha males. But if I remember about Heaps, while everybody was still drooling over him because of his stats, etc., he wasn't outperforming a lot of the QBs in the class when they were all there.

And when you look back at the top QBs in the 2009 class - fucking dreckfest: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/where-are-they-now-2009-elite-11-qbs-including-gardner-bolden-boisture

Wa state aint texas, but it has to be in the top 12 most competitive states for high school football.

Qb's from this state do well, historically
    Go count how many scholarship players we have from Washington on our roster and come back and say that. Better yet, go look up how many NFL players we produce. GTFO with that nonsense.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He should have gone on his mission, God is deservedly punishing him now for not coming back at 25 y.o.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    PurpleJ said:

AZDuck said:

It's almost as if teen boy stocking is useless profession and not very effective in predicting future outcomes.
    Disagree, teen boy stocking is very useful in predicting future outcomes.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Who knows maybe Heaps will wind up at Middlebury and CollegeDoog can catch as many passes from Heaps as you and I.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Who knows maybe Heaps will wind up at Middlebury and CollegeDoog can watch the starters catch as many passes from Heaps as you and I.