Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Basically this is 2012 all over again

sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
The instate/FSP recruits are basically turned off by UW right now and want to go out of state. Only recruits I see is landing is Owens and maybe Tinae but we are basically fucked when it comes to instate recruiting. Big reason why Caden got his offer was to try to turn that around which is why I didn’t agree with the offer. Other than JT and Emeka, all the instate recruits are replaceable and if they want to go elsewhere then let them.

Comments

• UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    is it the uncertainty pushing all the kids away? 8-5? John donovan? I don't understand how we were on them in Feb for the unofficial junior day and we have fallen this much
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,112

The instate/FSP recruits are basically turned off by UW right now and want to go out of state. Only recruits I see is landing is Owens and maybe Tinae but we are basically fucked when it comes to instate recruiting. Big reason why Caden got his offer was to try to turn that around which is why I didn’t agree with the offer. Other than JT and Emeka, all the instate recruits are replaceable and if they want to go elsewhere then let them.

Definitely agree on this. There are better guys out there but you have to land them
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I was definitely thinking 2012 and Tyrone years ...

Will really be interesting to see how Jimmy responds after what is going to likely be a VERY humbling year

Looking at the roster of assistant coaches and you're looking at a very poor group for what you'd expect to have for a Top 10-20 program. You can make arguments for most of them on a coach by coach basis ... but when you look at the overall composition of the staff it's showing in the results.

Really hard to expect success installing a new offense with a new starting QB that has never really taken D1 snaps getting limited practice time and likely the 15 spring practices not being replaced.

With the likely budget hits that the AD will take due to COVID, will be interesting to see what's available to buy out some of these bad contracts if needed and how much additional funding is available to make upgrades.

4 months ago, I would not have expected Jimmy to be in such a bad position when it comes to being unable to control the narrative. Welcome to being the CEO. Controlling the narrative is one of, if not the most important part of doing the job.

As for Jumper, it's a panic offer/commit. That's a guy that you can offer 2 weeks before the December timing period and have a 99% likelihood that he'd switch and take the offer.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117

Why do you think that is? Even with a down year last season, I thought most new coaches tend to recruit well initially because they can pitch the new blood angle. Look at what Taggart and Cristobal did coming off of 4-8 and 7-6 seasons. Is this an indictment on Jimmy or the poor branding for the UW program?
  • sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460

Why do you think that is? Even with a down year last season, I thought most new coaches tend to recruit well initially because they can pitch the new blood angle. Look at what Taggart and Cristobal did coming off of 4-8 and 7-6 seasons. Is this an indictment on Jimmy or the poor branding for the UW program?
    What i'm hearing is they aren't connecting with the coaches and don't feel as wanted by the coaches compared to the out of state programs.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717

Oregon is basically the 2nd biggest brand in the West, after USC. Regardless of who is coach. Pete was the brand at UW.

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    What happened to ISHIT?
    I will say that the local angle that gets played from time to time whether football or basketball of feeling jaded if they aren't told that they are special first, second, third, all the way to last is annoying and borders on entitlement.

When I hear the "I don't feel as wanted" angle what I'm really hearing is "I'm looking for a reason to leave and blaming the coaches is right up at the top of the list."
  • OneNippleOneNipple Member Posts: 179

What i'm hearing is they aren't connecting with the coaches and don't feel as wanted by the coaches compared to the out of state programs.
    This....it all comes down to Sales! ABC....get the right guys in that can connect with the kids these days. Everyone wants to be sold.
    Tequilla said:

I will say that the local angle that gets played from time to time whether football or basketball of feeling jaded if they aren't told that they are special first, second, third, all the way to last is annoying and borders on entitlement.

When I hear the "I don't feel as wanted" angle what I'm really hearing is "I'm looking for a reason to leave and blaming the coaches is right up at the top of the list."

Whether we like it or not I think thats the culture of recruits these days. Especially the in-state ones. What recruit doesn't want to be pampered and told they are the best? UW was not good enough last year to think they could big dick local recruits. One unofficial junior day won't get these kids to commit. You have to outwork all the other recruiters that come after them. If you offered all the in state kids as early as they did why wouldn't you recruit your ass off to get some of these kids in early? Theoretically JTT and Emeka were always going to take their time. Should have had Julien, Jabez and Junior wrapped up or close by this time. If you had gotten some of the other in-state guys early you could have had Julien Simon who is best friends with JTT whispering in his ear the entire time. Same goes with the WR's from Kennedy.

This feels eerily similar to USC's recruiting last year. They didn't take recruiting seriously and lost out on a bunch of top instate talent until the AD cleared the decks and hired young hungry recruiters.

In the last few UW videos/interviews you can read/hear the coaches saying the players on the team should not be viewing this down time as vacation or what not. Can we say the same about the coaches and administration at UW? Im not going to pretend I know whats going on in the background at UW right now but its seems like they are fighting an uphill battle and being more reactive and proactive. The marketing around twitter and instagram didn't pick up until the fans started complaining.

Also I think sonics is right when referring to Pete as the best recruiter. He covered alot of holes on this staff. Without his brand, Lake is having to learn this the hard way. I think Coach K should be the only coach on staff that gets a pass on his recruiting acumen. Everyone else that can't recruit should be door ass out!
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla always blames the kids.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Well put. I'd add Simon, though. He's probably an 89-90 as a player with 99 makeup, excluding Eddie, Calvert, and Hemuli, above average for the LB group. An instate player, he's a must take.
  • CheeseDawgCheeseDawg Member Posts: 10
    If they’re not connecting locally. Are they connecting to our of state kids?
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    So we're just ignoring our next 4th round messiah, Sam Huard?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

So we're just ignoring our next 4th round messiah, Sam Huard?

Yeah, but still.
  • BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    I blame Petersen. Everything was in his grasp, all time elite homestate classes, and he let Cristobal kick him in the nuts and he fled for the hills. Fucking coward. Leave the state.

Tequilla said:

Couldn't be more wrong

You think a kid in Alabama or Louisiana gets bent out of shape if they don't initially receive an offer from Alabama or LSU? You think they sit there and say "oh, they don't care about the local kids?"

If you want to be a national program, then you are obligated to try to get the best recruiting class that you can. For local guys that are top level recruits, we should be on those guys immediately and made huge priorities.

But Tier B local guys, it's a delicate line. Take them too early and you're looking at potentially not bringing in the class that you think you can get. If you go after them too early you miss out on top guys and likely don't have the roster that you need to beat the blue bloods. Miss on the blue chip recruits and piss off the Tier B local guys and then you are fucked.

Recruiting is a business ... and it's true on both edges of the equation.
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Couldn't be more wrong

You think a kid in Alabama or Louisiana gets bent out of shape if they don't initially receive an offer from Alabama or LSU? You think they sit there and say "oh, they don't care about the local kids?"

If you want to be a national program, then you are obligated to try to get the best recruiting class that you can. For local guys that are top level recruits, we should be on those guys immediately and made huge priorities.

But Tier B local guys, it's a delicate line. Take them too early and you're looking at potentially not bringing in the class that you think you can get. If you go after them too early you miss out on top guys and likely don't have the roster that you need to beat the blue bloods. Miss on the blue chip recruits and piss off the Tier B local guys and then you are fucked.

Recruiting is a business ... and it's true on both edges of the equation.
    who are you categorizing as Tier B's in this years in state class? Everyone outside JTT and Emeka?