Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Elijah Molden Should Have Played Sooner for UW

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    He had to get his reads down, but once he did he was good
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I thought Molden would be good, but he struggled almost every time he played until the middle of his sophomore year.

This. He did play early and got absolutely burned in a couple big moments that cost us games.
  • Options
    PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I thought Molden would be good, but he struggled almost every time he played until the middle of his sophomore year.

This. He did play early and got absolutely burned in a couple big moments that cost us games.
    I don't think you can say the defense in the last 4-5 years cost you guys games. Pete's offense is the culprit.
  • Options
    MontlakeBridgeTrollMontlakeBridgeTroll Member Posts: 920
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I don't think you can say the defense in the last 4-5 years cost you guys games. Pete's offense is the culprit.
    In 2019 UW's O put up more points on Oregon than their prior 5 opponents combined -- our D lost that game.

• Options
    edited April 2020

In 2019 UW's O put up more points on Oregon than their prior 5 opponents combined -- our D lost that game.

The offense put up 28 points in the first 32 minutes of the game. Then they scored 3 in the last 28. HTH
  • Options

The offense put up 28 points in the first 32 minutes of the game. Then they scored 3 in the last 28. HTH
    Which, as, I wrote, is more than the quack's prior 5 games combined.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Yep, our defense lost us the 2017 Stanford game, the Penn State game, and the 2019 Oregon game. The offense wasnt great in any of those games but the defense was definitely not up to par. The Stanford game is relevant to the topic at hand.
  • Options

You can’t score 3 points in the final 28 minutes and excuse the offense. Also, 31 points might have been a lot to give up by Oregon, it’s still not a great number in college football. 31 points is an average offensive outing. To beat any good team your offense needs to be better than average.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Dumb article.

In the DB room, the best players play. That was Miller. The staff brought along Molden at just the right pace, and now he’s a stalwart.
  • Options

You can’t score 3 points in the final 28 minutes and excuse the offense. Also, 31 points might have been a lot to give up by Oregon, it’s still not a great number in college football. 31 points is an average offensive outing. To beat any good team your offense needs to be better than average.
    No question that our offense needs work... but...

None of this changes the fact that if our defense had played in that game at the level to which it is capable... we would have won.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was a collapse on both sides. Other than once in the 4th quarter, we didn’t stop Oregon tho. And they weren’t all really quick drives. They converted a lot of 3rd and 4th downs. You and the feeling they were getting every one before it even happened. That’s what I remember.