Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Netflix CEO in 2013: “The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us.”

2»

Comments

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

When I read that HBO's new masters wanted to turn them into another Netflix, I almost committed seppuku. I don't care that the scope is narrow, I care that they're the only network out there anymore treating television as an art medium instead of a digital Wal Mart. They pump huge dollars into big visions like nobody else, so the quality is incredibly high across the board. If HBO was the only channel going, there wouldn't be much to watch, and that would suck. Since there are millions of hours of other content available, I want HBO doing exactly what they're doing: ponying up to make the best content available. Broadening their scope will only turn their premium content shittier, which would be awful.

Fucking A right.

HBO is still the dominant player in original content. They produce masterpiece after masterpiece, and just the virtue of being an HBO show is a seal of approval for any series. I really hope their AT&T overlords don't dilute their brand by trying to keep up with Netflix and Prime.
    I love HBO, but Game of Thrones, Westworld, arguably 2 of their biggest shows are not original content.

Neither was True Blood, Watchmen, or His Dark Materials.

HBO is still the best, but their best is no longer as vastly different than the best from Netflix, Amazon, etc as it used to be.
    Succession is quality HBO. Not as good as Billions on Showtime but solid.

Showtime is pretty well kicking HBO's ass right this second - Ray Donovan, Homeland (though not as good as early seasons), Billions are all must see TV.

AppleTV is catching up fast. For All Mankind is pretty entertaining. The Morning Show kicked ass but could have used much more nudity, imho.

How much TV do you watch?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

When I read that HBO's new masters wanted to turn them into another Netflix, I almost committed seppuku. I don't care that the scope is narrow, I care that they're the only network out there anymore treating television as an art medium instead of a digital Wal Mart. They pump huge dollars into big visions like nobody else, so the quality is incredibly high across the board. If HBO was the only channel going, there wouldn't be much to watch, and that would suck. Since there are millions of hours of other content available, I want HBO doing exactly what they're doing: ponying up to make the best content available. Broadening their scope will only turn their premium content shittier, which would be awful.

Fucking A right.

HBO is still the dominant player in original content. They produce masterpiece after masterpiece, and just the virtue of being an HBO show is a seal of approval for any series. I really hope their AT&T overlords don't dilute their brand by trying to keep up with Netflix and Prime.
    I love HBO, but Game of Thrones, Westworld, arguably 2 of their biggest shows are not original content.

Neither was True Blood, Watchmen, or His Dark Materials.

HBO is still the best, but their best is no longer as vastly different than the best from Netflix, Amazon, etc as it used to be.
    Succession is quality HBO. Not as good as Billions on Showtime but solid.

Showtime is pretty well kicking HBO's ass right this second - Ray Donovan, Homeland (though not as good as early seasons), Billions are all must see TV.

AppleTV is catching up fast. For All Mankind is pretty entertaining. The Morning Show kicked ass but could have used much more nudity, imho.

How much TV do you watch?
    All of it.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HBO > Netflix > everyone else for original content.

When you factor in the streaming of licensed content though... Hulu is the most worth it. All of the most rewatchable shows seem to be on Hulu, namely South Park, It’s Always Sunny, and then they have access to all the HBO shows
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,589
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Lot of disrespect for Curb Your Enthusiasm in this thread