Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So the bourbon is low

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I thought I was stocked up with beer to the point it would be impossible to run out, but my consumption rate has easily doubled if not tripled, so I'm drinking my last beer as I type this other than an emergency Rainier in the shop fridge (break glass in case of emergency). I told the Mrs. we need to move the bi-weekly grocery store run to tomorrow so I can restock.

I killed my first two 5 gallon kegs the first week. Admittedly, that included giving a few friends some care package growlers. Kegged another two 5 gallons(an IPA and a chico style ale) and spent a day brewing another two batches(hefe and a red ale) but realized I would probably go through those as well within April. Sent my order to Northern Brewers for another two recipe kits just to be safe. The Kegerator is paying dividends in this time of need. Have had maybe a can or two bottles otherwise just to change things up. Plus, I keep our mixers in there for Mrs. Bot since the fridge is fucking packed otherwise.
    My brother is the biggest beer snob I've ever seen. He has a "beer room" built into his garage in which he stores all of the beers he trades all over the country for. That collection is worth over $6K at last look--down from a peak of over $7K, as he's decided to decrease the ratio of collecting to drinking over the last couple of years. Anyway, he also bit on a craigslist ad for the most ridiculous commercial beer fridge. Already had a four tap keg system built into the side wall, even. This thing weighs like 800 pounds of stainless steel and insulation and is about as big as two standard fridges side by side. It was like $1000 yet somehow totally worth it. If you want to increase your beer storage capability, look around. There are some cool deals out there from restaurants going under and whatnot.

His is something like below, only with the taps on the side instead of the door:

Thanks, Jay!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,364
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I thought I was stocked up with beer to the point it would be impossible to run out, but my consumption rate has easily doubled if not tripled, so I'm drinking my last beer as I type this other than an emergency Rainier in the shop fridge (break glass in case of emergency). I told the Mrs. we need to move the bi-weekly grocery store run to tomorrow so I can restock.

I killed my first two 5 gallon kegs the first week. Admittedly, that included giving a few friends some care package growlers. Kegged another two 5 gallons(an IPA and a chico style ale) and spent a day brewing another two batches(hefe and a red ale) but realized I would probably go through those as well within April. Sent my order to Northern Brewers for another two recipe kits just to be safe. The Kegerator is paying dividends in this time of need. Have had maybe a can or two bottles otherwise just to change things up. Plus, I keep our mixers in there for Mrs. Bot since the fridge is fucking packed otherwise.
    My brother is the biggest beer snob I've ever seen. He has a "beer room" built into his garage in which he stores all of the beers he trades all over the country for. That collection is worth over $6K at last look--down from a peak of over $7K, as he's decided to decrease the ratio of collecting to drinking over the last couple of years. Anyway, he also bit on a craigslist ad for the most ridiculous commercial beer fridge. Already had a four tap keg system built into the side wall, even. This thing weighs like 800 pounds of stainless steel and insulation and is about as big as two standard fridges side by side. It was like $1000 yet somehow totally worth it. If you want to increase your beer storage capability, look around. There are some cool deals out there from restaurants going under and whatnot.

His is something like below, only with the taps on the side instead of the door:

Thanks, Jay!
    For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to suggest taking advantage of other people's misfortunes right now. There are always restaurants going under. My brother found his two or three years ago. Commercial fridges pop up regardless of COVAIDS.

In other news, my beer cavalry arrived!

557.1 ounces of beautiful liver damage. Should last two weeks if I considerably slow my roll.
    When should we take advantage of other people's misfortunes?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,513
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Thanks, Jay!
    For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to suggest taking advantage of other people's misfortunes right now. There are always restaurants going under. My brother found his two or three years ago. Commercial fridges pop up regardless of COVAIDS.

557.1 ounces of beautiful liver damage. Should last two weeks if I considerably slow my roll.
    That's the whole point of a recession.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,310
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Thanks, Jay!

Always. Was just pointing out that I wasn't making light of it.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,932
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    God damn my whiskey sours are the shiznit. Sucks to be paleo right now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fupdate: Two weeks was wildly optimistic.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,858
    edited April 2020

Thanks, Jay!

I'd be impressed if he'd shown some nad and bought a case of Corona.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020

I can't be friends with your brother.

How's his Beanie Baby collection?

That said, I remember my wine collection phrase.

I had about 1000 bottles worth about 80k. I even rented storage space. I realized my palate sucks and I can't tell the difference between a $50 bottle and a $500 bottle. I sold it all and made a little profit. I now just buy wines to drink. I have at least 2 merlots that drink like cabs.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can't be friends with your brother.

How's his Beanie Baby collection?

That said, I remember my wine collection phrase.

I had about 1000 bottles worth about 80k. I even rented storage space. I realized my palate sucks and I can't tell the difference between a $50 bottle and a $500 bottle. I sold it all and made a little profit. I now just buy wines to drink. I have at least 2 merlots that drink like cabs.
    I suppose it's easy for things that start out small to become obsessions (looks up at near 2000 posts in under a year...). He's at the point where he has realized that it's a bit too expensive of a hobby, and he'd be better off drinking than buying.

I'm with you, though. I used to be into buying that $20 bottle of something "amazing." After about a decade of doing it, I came to a simple conclusion: "Yeah, they're usually a little better, but not 400% better!" I have a pretty simple rule: six-packs are $10, 22s are $4. I only pay more than that if the store has 99 identical IPAs and one stout, which is half the time. I can get Fremont Dark Star, Worthy Lights Out, Kulshan coffee milk stout for $10 a six, and I've never had a beer that's twice that good as any of them, let alone four times as good. Math, facts, stats.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Fupdate: Two weeks was wildly optimistic.

I thought this might be the case.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

So you guysm are actually staying in your house the whole tim?

My dealer delivers.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,051
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

My dealer delivers.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

My dealer delivers.

That was a good pull.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I've long had a history of getting a bottle/handle of something when I'm at Costco and/or the liquor store. So if there's anything through this that I've been prepared for, it's that I've got a pretty in depth liquor cabinet.

I've still got at least 2-3 handles of bourbon + a few fifths. I've got some tequila in place as well. Still plenty of rum and vodka. So plenty of options are out there. Even have a 12 pack of White Claws that I'm saving up for mixers with the vodka. Mixer game has been maintained fairly well.

I haven't ventured outside for about 3.5 weeks at this point other than taking garbage to the street, etc. I probably have enough food to still be able to get me through another 7-10 days before I have to make the next run to Costco for the next month. Only thing that I'm basically out of is fresh produce outside of some onions and potatoes left. Starting to get fairly creative with some dishes.

The way that I look at it every day that I can buy having to go to Costco the better chance of stepping out as the curve has had a chance to further flatten.

With some of the things I've got going on in life right now ... it's really not that much of a material change to life. There's differences but you adapt.

What I miss is being unable to go play golf and be outside. I miss being able to frequent and support my favorite restaurants. I miss being able to be around friends and playing soccer. I miss not being able to visit family. But it is what it is right now ... just adapt and move forward.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2020
    Tequilla said:

I've long had a history of getting a bottle/handle of something when I'm at Costco and/or the liquor store. So if there's anything through this that I've been prepared for, it's that I've got a pretty in depth liquor cabinet.

I've still got at least 2-3 handles of bourbon + a few fifths. I've got some tequila in place as well. Still plenty of rum and vodka. So plenty of options are out there. Even have a 12 pack of White Claws that I'm saving up for mixers with the vodka. Mixer game has been maintained fairly well.

I haven't ventured outside for about 3.5 weeks at this point other than taking garbage to the street, etc. I probably have enough food to still be able to get me through another 7-10 days before I have to make the next run to Costco for the next month. Only thing that I'm basically out of is fresh produce outside of some onions and potatoes left. Starting to get fairly creative with some dishes.

The way that I look at it every day that I can buy having to go to Costco the better chance of stepping out as the curve has had a chance to further flatten.

With some of the things I've got going on in life right now ... it's really not that much of a material change to life. There's differences but you adapt.

What I miss is being unable to go play golf and be outside. I miss being able to frequent and support my favorite restaurants. I miss being able to be around friends and playing soccer. I miss not being able to visit family. But it is what it is right now ... just adapt and move forward.

You like to call them handles. TWYLTCT

Also, that post was GAF.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,282
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Imagine not being able to play golf.

Monday will be the 5th day in a row for me.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    whlinder said:

Imagine not being able to play golf.

Monday will be the 5th day in a row for me.

Golf part is GAF. The civil disobedience is heroic. Yes