Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fermented cabbage fans?

2»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,933
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kimchi is going on top of the ramen I’m making tonight. The more the better.

I can't go get ramen at Northgate anymore out of CV fear. Sad.
    Just make your own. It’s cheap and easy. Hardest part is snagging some legit noodles, but there’s plenty of Asian markets around to hook that up.

Then just heat up some chicken thighs in a pan with a little olive oil, and deglaze the pan with wine when they’re done. Add in some chicken stock, call it 2 cups or half a box they sell in the store, and maybe a little soy and rice vinegar. I’ve got a red wine version where I toss in a pad of butter to get a richer sauce, and a white wine version that is a bit lighter and brighter. Either way you get all the wine flavor mixing with the fond from the chicken. Welcome to flavor town.

Meanwhile, while that chicken is going, boil water for the noodles (how ever much you need for the crowd you’re feeding). I double the recommended water to have extra broth and to dilute the broth a little, I’m gonna add a fuck ton of flavor later...

I microplane a bunch of fresh ginger (hardest part of the whole process) into the water and boil it with the noodles, and crush up a few cloves of garlic and toss those in there too towards the end once the noodles are in the boiling water.

Once the noodles are cooked, kill the heat, and dump in the pan sauce you’ve made from the chicken drippings. Hit it with a few drops of sesame oil too. Get some giant bowls and serve it up. Serve the noodles first and add broth on top to save yourself a fucking mess.

Slice up the chicken into small bite sized chunks and distribute accordingly. If you have a hard boiled egg, halve it and toss it in. I serve it with a healthy portion of sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Kimchi goes on top at the very end to keep it from cooking too much in the broth while you build.

Super filling and soothing on a cold day, and aside from all that sodium, relatively healthy. Skip the soy and ditch the flavor packet in the noodles if you’re really worried about it.

TL; DR

Sounds dame tasty. Respeck.

But Economis don’t work for home ramen when the Japanese down the street make it for me for $12.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2020

Just make your own. It’s cheap and easy. Hardest part is snagging some legit noodles, but there’s plenty of Asian markets around to hook that up.

Then just heat up some chicken thighs in a pan with a little olive oil, and deglaze the pan with wine when they’re done. Add in some chicken stock, call it 2 cups or half a box they sell in the store, and maybe a little soy and rice vinegar. I’ve got a red wine version where I toss in a pad of butter to get a richer sauce, and a white wine version that is a bit lighter and brighter. Either way you get all the wine flavor mixing with the fond from the chicken. Welcome to flavor town.

Meanwhile, while that chicken is going, boil water for the noodles (how ever much you need for the crowd you’re feeding). I double the recommended water to have extra broth and to dilute the broth a little, I’m gonna add a fuck ton of flavor later...

I microplane a bunch of fresh ginger (hardest part of the whole process) into the water and boil it with the noodles, and crush up a few cloves of garlic and toss those in there too towards the end once the noodles are in the boiling water.

Once the noodles are cooked, kill the heat, and dump in the pan sauce you’ve made from the chicken drippings. Hit it with a few drops of sesame oil too. Get some giant bowls and serve it up. Serve the noodles first and add broth on top to save yourself a fucking mess.

Slice up the chicken into small bite sized chunks and distribute accordingly. If you have a hard boiled egg, halve it and toss it in. I serve it with a healthy portion of sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Kimchi goes on top at the very end to keep it from cooking too much in the broth while you build.

Super filling and soothing on a cold day, and aside from all that sodium, relatively healthy. Skip the soy and ditch the flavor packet in the noodles if you’re really worried about it.

TL; DR

But Economis don’t work for home ramen when the Japanese down the street make it for me for $12.
    $12/person vs $12 for the whole family. It’s a super cheap meal to make.

If you want to make the case that theirs is better I can roll with that. It unquestionably is.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

TL; DR

If you want to make the case that theirs is better I can roll with that. It unquestionably is.
    Lulz. My finicky ass kids would never eat any ramen I prepared. Those lil fuckers are terrible I tell ya.
    That’s what the dinosaur chicken nuggets are for
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TL; DR

Lulz. My finicky ass kids would never eat any ramen I prepared. Those lil fuckers are terrible I tell ya.
    I wish my 2 year liked chicken nuggets. All he wants is milk, strawberries, bread and bacon.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TL; DR

I wish my 2 year liked chicken nuggets. All he wants is milk, strawberries, bread and bacon.
    Bougie baby...
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    I remember when I had to feed my kids.

TL; DR

That kid is a genius - has already high-graded all food into 4 incredibly delicious items. I'm not eating chicken nuggets when there is milk, bread, strawberries and bacon either.

Clam digging at the beach was easy as pie yesterday. Sun was out, wind was almost dead calm and clams were showing everywhere. Not the biggest clams I've ever seen, but decent sized. I got 6 without having to take a step. I'm about to go make some clam fritters and eggs. If I have enough left, chowder is on the horizon.

csb
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

TL; DR

Could be worse, one of mine would eat nothing but cheese and hot dogs
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221

I got fresh crabs yesterday @dflea. Only $9.99 a pound. COVID 19 pricing. Nice OR Pinot Gris that drinks like Sauv Blanc.

We almost pulled over on the way home to score some crabs, too. Even at $9.99, it makes for an expensive f'n crab. So I settled for clams. We need to go get some crabs this summer, man. Jump in the boat.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nearly a month into the raw sauerkraut every day lifestyle and the GI track has never been better. I recommend Oregon Brineworks.

Ferment my cabbage Duck!!

• Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    Founders Club

Meek said:

that kraut is excellent. also try the beets. both great for dieting.

Oh (red) shit - IFL beets! Those greasy Slavs know what’s up.

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Actually Costco has a good organic kraut in the prepared food cooler. bad news is Mrs Lebam has banned kraut from the kitchen. and lamb.

Yella - try to see if your kid will eat peanut butter and bacon - it is delicious.