Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Banks & airlines - will be in the bread line

13»

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,614
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

Greed is going to win regardless but in the unintended consequence category was the populist move to "limit" CEO salaries in the 90's.

So they shifted compensation to stock options thus joining the mythical shareholders in demanding quarterly profit over long term health..

It is now a perfect storm of doing everything for the daily stock price and nothing for the health of the company, which can be broken up and sold off anyway

See above. If they can't stop masturbating themselves, the big bad regulators will step in and chop off their collective C-level weenies.

I'll tip the cap to Alaska Air, announced yesterday their top 2 C's are taking no salary. Maybe there's some goodies hidden somewhere, but the PR move is good.
    The CEO is a UW graduate school grad and the President is on the board at the Foster School of Business. Alaska also spent the lowest percentage of their Free Cash Flow in the past decade on share buybacks of the major US airlines.

I have some thoughts about airlines, where they are pretty essential companies, but need to be reigned in on certain behavior. Existing shareholders need to take it on the chin first.

Boeing on the other hand, focusing on the commercial aircraft division, I have no idea what to do with that one. That's a mess. Should never have let McDonnell Douglas take over and run them in to the ground.
    But now that we're here, the new reality is:
    -previous projections for airline passenger growth are out the window and there is now a massive surplus of perfectly suitable aircraft
    -Oil is cheap so all the benefit of new aircraft, which is greater fuel efficiency, is gone

There is basically no point in building new passenger aircraft right now. However, building airplanes is complicated. China has been trying to copy it for years and has been unable to, or at least to make one which is economically viable. We'd be screwed in 5 to 20 years as a country if we lost BCA's ability to build planes. The intrinsic knowledge isn't replaceable. So bailing Boeing out to the degree that we as a country keep the ability to design and manufacture aircraft is something I believe is critical to America's place in the world's economy.
    Boeing is too important to fail. It’s not even up for discussion.
    True dat. Except for the discussion part.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to enter into a public/private partnership whereby the gubmint deploys some of its rocket scientists (NASA brainiacs) to regain the edge Boeing used to maintain.

Maybe Mad Dog Mattis is available to come in and run the Lazy B.
    I know the 787 is an amazing leap forward in efficiency, so it's not like Boeing can't innovate anymore. But fuck, the Lazy B went from 707 to 747 in just a little over a decade. Some companies just need to be geared towards making kick ass shit for both the commercial aviation as well as defense sectors not worry so much about quarterly earnings calls. Let the enginerds make kick ass planes and tell the bean counters to fuck off.
    Why is this so difficult!!
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,312
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

Greed is going to win regardless but in the unintended consequence category was the populist move to "limit" CEO salaries in the 90's.

So they shifted compensation to stock options thus joining the mythical shareholders in demanding quarterly profit over long term health..

It is now a perfect storm of doing everything for the daily stock price and nothing for the health of the company, which can be broken up and sold off anyway

See above. If they can't stop masturbating themselves, the big bad regulators will step in and chop off their collective C-level weenies.

I'll tip the cap to Alaska Air, announced yesterday their top 2 C's are taking no salary. Maybe there's some goodies hidden somewhere, but the PR move is good.
    The CEO is a UW graduate school grad and the President is on the board at the Foster School of Business. Alaska also spent the lowest percentage of their Free Cash Flow in the past decade on share buybacks of the major US airlines.

I have some thoughts about airlines, where they are pretty essential companies, but need to be reigned in on certain behavior. Existing shareholders need to take it on the chin first.

Boeing on the other hand, focusing on the commercial aircraft division, I have no idea what to do with that one. That's a mess. Should never have let McDonnell Douglas take over and run them in to the ground.
    -previous projections for airline passenger growth are out the window and there is now a massive surplus of perfectly suitable aircraft
    -Oil is cheap so all the benefit of new aircraft, which is greater fuel efficiency, is gone

There is basically no point in building new passenger aircraft right now. However, building airplanes is complicated. China has been trying to copy it for years and has been unable to, or at least to make one which is economically viable. We'd be screwed in 5 to 20 years as a country if we lost BCA's ability to build planes. The intrinsic knowledge isn't replaceable. So bailing Boeing out to the degree that we as a country keep the ability to design and manufacture aircraft is something I believe is critical to America's place in the world's economy.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to enter into a public/private partnership whereby the gubmint deploys some of its rocket scientists (NASA brainiacs) to regain the edge Boeing used to maintain.

I know the 787 is an amazing leap forward in efficiency, so it's not like Boeing can't innovate anymore. But fuck, the Lazy B went from 707 to 747 in just a little over a decade. Some companies just need to be geared towards making kick ass shit for both the commercial aviation as well as defense sectors not worry so much about quarterly earnings calls. Let the enginerds make kick ass planes and tell the bean counters to fuck off.
    Per Wiki the 787 was launched as a program in April 2004 and made its maiden flight in 2009 which was a year later than planned.

Boeing has had no new product launches since then. They've tweaked the 787 to extend it, of course the MAX program but that's still reusing the 737, and are enhancing the 777, but we're at 16 years since Boeing launched a truly new product. That's very little innovation in that time frame. (It's not like Airbus has innovated much since the A380; the A350 is a new platform at least so there is some innovation there)

If they get bailed out they need to innovate on a clean sheet program and be led by engineers, not accountants.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

whlinder said:

Why is Boeing too important to fail?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

A piliot fren once told me that at Boeing it used to be the engineers designed the plan and told the CPA's how much it would cost. Now the CPA's tell the engineers how much the plane can cost and go off that.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

whlinder said:

A piliot fren once told me that at Boeing it used to be the engineers designed the plan and told the CPA's how much it would cost. Now the CPA's tell the engineers how much the plane can cost and go off that.
    HondoFS
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,029

whlinder said:

Bean counters are the bane of quality.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

I can confirm this -
    bean counters and engineers are, or were, in equal numbers. Programs run meetings 1) for scheduling 2) manpower 3) costs. The meetings are held in that order. After the schedule meeting everyone falls behind for lack of manpower. Can't hire anyone after the manpower meeting - no money. Cost estimates meetings allows manpower to increase but 3 months late. Another schedule meeting and now everyone is on OT for 3 months catching up. Another Cost analyses and OT is cut and sometimes manpower.

Just do that for 3- 5 years and bingo an airplane rolls out.

What is even funnier is when a program builds up - all the other groups let the folks they have been trying to get rid of go to the new program. So when all the manpower is there and available - it is staffed by 60% of the people you would never hire.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    LebamDawg said:

whlinder said:

I can confirm this -
    bean counters and engineers are, or were, in equal numbers. Programs run meetings 1) for scheduling 2) manpower 3) costs. The meetings are held in that order. After the schedule meeting everyone falls behind for lack of manpower. Can't hire anyone after the manpower meeting - no money. Cost estimates meetings allows manpower to increase but 3 months late. Another schedule meeting and now everyone is on OT for 3 months catching up. Another Cost analyses and OT is cut and sometimes manpower.

What is even funnier is when a program builds up - all the other groups let the folks they have been trying to get rid of go to the new program. So when all the manpower is there and available - it is staffed by 60% of the people you would never hire.
    This is pretty well how all government agencies work at the local, state and federal level.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    edited March 2020
    LebamDawg said:

whlinder said:

I can confirm this -

Just look at apple

Jobs thought the app store wouldn't exist and the web was the future

Fuck apple
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Per Wiki the 787 was launched as a program in April 2004 and made its maiden flight in 2009 which was a year later than planned.

Boeing has had no new product launches since then. They've tweaked the 787 to extend it, of course the MAX program but that's still reusing the 737, and are enhancing the 777, but we're at 16 years since Boeing launched a truly new product. That's very little innovation in that time frame. (It's not like Airbus has innovated much since the A380; the A350 is a new platform at least so there is some innovation there)

If they get bailed out they need to innovate on a clean sheet program and be led by engineers, not accountants.
    It has been more than one man's expressed opinion that what compromised the great General Electric Company, one of, if not THE, greatest American company, was that the bean counters started driving decisions and the innovators lost their voice. I believe it. Company culture is everything.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

whlinder said:

You mean like at Blue Origin and SpaceX?

Boeing's problems started with Phil Condit. He was a terrible CEO who led them down their current path. They could have changed course after Phildo but fucked up again when they failed to elevate Mulally. The last truly great aircraft program there was the 777, which was a lot more Mulally than Condit. It was done right with Boeing leading the technical charge and outsourcing primarily the manufacture of non-key elements, most of the fuselage for example. The 787 is primarily an outsourced aircraft on both the development and manufacturing sides that has been riddled with major problems, extreme launch delays and extreme cost over runs. The 737 Max fiascos speak for themselves. The internal emails "designed by clowns ... supervised by monkeys" are probably closer to the truth than not. It too has had significant problems, the likes of which Boeing has not seen before in fielded aircraft. The plain and simple truth is their commercial unit has survived because they've had just one competitor. Getting their ass handed to them should be a wake up call. A government handout, which is no doubt coming, will not help in the long run, at least not without the right people at the top driving change at every level.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

Because they are the primary supplier for a ton of military shit, etc. They are vital to national security.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751

salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

Because they are the primary supplier for a ton of military shit, etc. They are vital to national security.
    MD snickers at that.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

MD snickers at that.
    So does Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumman, L3Harris, Raytheon .....,
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

MD snickers at that.
    So does Lockheed-Martin, Northrop-Grumman, L3Harris, Raytheon .....,
    I do like me some Skunk Works.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn’t read the article but if you crater the airline stock by the bailouts like Mark Cuban says should happen , you aren’t just hurting the airlines. Tons of random people invest in them. They should pay the price for the airlines fucking up? The money charged per seat should have been enough to help these airlines thru these rainy days.