Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Will Larry Scott's legacy include being the guy that drove USC out of the Pac-12?

Comments

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    "Now, that being said, if the unexpected happened and NBC said, 'Hey we want to partner you guys with Notre Dame' … then that's different.'"

if im trooj AD id do that in a second.

fuck off larry, i know you read these boreds.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    didn't read it but there is no doubt that USC doesn't need to suffer through Larry Scott's reign. If I was USC I'd be fucking gone tomorrow from this conference.

The rest of the Pac12 schools can only sit and pray that USC doesn't leave them.

I have been baffled for years why the universities do not recognize this and how Larry Scott is such a direct reason for it.

The Pac12 is literally driving itself towards being a hybrid Ivy League Lite + Mountain West... and no network will pay big tv money to broadcast it and no advertisers will pay big money to advertise on it. He is literally destroying the Pac12 with his strategy.

Now, that all said, if USC goes independent you can bet that Oregon joins the ACC.

tick, tick, tick....
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Its more likely that the 4 California schools go somewhere together. In 1960 they banded with UW to form a new league out of the old Pacific Coast Conference on the way to the Pac 8

Not sure if anyone still wants UW. Probably prefer UO these days. Thanks UW shitheads over the last 30 years.

Our? plan to merge the Pac 8 schools as the West Division and ASU and UA joining 6 Big 8 schools in the East would have been the answer.

Instead we get fucking Utah and CU

Schools would want UW for its academics.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Its more likely that the 4 California schools go somewhere together. In 1960 they banded with UW to form a new league out of the old Pacific Coast Conference on the way to the Pac 8

Not sure if anyone still wants UW. Probably prefer UO these days. Thanks UW shitheads over the last 30 years.

Our? plan to merge the Pac 8 schools as the West Division and ASU and UA joining 6 Big 8 schools in the East would have been the answer.

Academis are important
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Bet Larry Scott is a Trump ass licker.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Meek said:

didn't read it but there is no doubt that USC doesn't need to suffer through Larry Scott's reign. If I was USC I'd be fucking gone tomorrow from this conference.

The rest of the Pac12 schools can only sit and pray that USC doesn't leave them.

I have been baffled for years why the universities do not recognize this and how Larry Scott is such a direct reason for it.

The Pac12 is literally driving itself towards being a hybrid Ivy League Lite + Mountain West... and no network will pay big tv money to broadcast it and no advertisers will pay big money to advertise on it. He is literally destroying the Pac12 with his strategy.

Now, that all said, if USC goes independent you can bet that Oregon joins the ACC.

tick, tick, tick....

My thought on the bold part is that the university leadership across the conference is mostly disinterested in sports and looks down its collective nose at the schools in the other power 5 conferences.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Academis are important
    Especially to football tv contracts
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Meek said:

tick, tick, tick....

My thought on the bold part is that the university leadership across the conference is mostly disinterested in sports and looks down its collective nose at the schools in the other power 5 conferences.
    i get that perspective, but when they are always complaining about being broke it makes no fucking sense why they wouldn't look at athletics as the cash cow. instead they basically run a strategy that increases the # of international students each year while reducing the opportunities for in-state kids to qualify and we are watching these wonderful American universities turn into private institutions for Asian kids.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Academic types may be smart but common sense is not so common.

They see sports as adversarial or at least uncomfortable with their values even if the money is directly related to running a school better
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Fenwick said:

Bet Larry Scott is a Trump ass licker.

His wife's donations:
    https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Cybille+scott
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    What kind of @dnc services did you provide to her?

Pics?
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Academis are important
    Well behind Faith and Family but slightly above Football.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    John Canzano article from The Oregonian

Canzano: Oregon Ducks need to join USC and put Pac-12 Conference on notice

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/03/canzano-oregon-ducks-need-to-join-usc-and-put-pac-12-conference-on-notice.html
  • Options
    PandaOrangeChiknDuckPandaOrangeChiknDuck Member Posts: 545
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2020
    Meek said:

DJDuck said:

John Canzano article from The Oregonian

Canzano: Oregon Ducks need to join USC and put Pac-12 Conference on notice

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/03/canzano-oregon-ducks-need-to-join-usc-and-put-pac-12-conference-on-notice.html

I applaud Canstanzoanao on his ideation of an article topic, but his premise that Oregon has anything beyond hip factor due to uniforms and clever payment schemes is laughable. I joked previously that if USC goes independent that Oregon would be in the ACC by the end of that week, but to suggest that Oregon could go independent is negligent journalism (unless of course he's only targeting the local Eugene market...which would be a bad career move). Oregon as an independent getting a lucrative NBC contract is only going to happen if Larry Scott is running NBC.
    Completely agree!! USC and to a lesser extent Stanford are the only western teams that could thrive or even survive in Stanford’s case as an independent. I would say that UW and Oregon would make a great pairing for the BIG10. That would get them to 16 teams I believe. Then the Arizona schools along with UCLA, Cal, and Colorado could join the Big12. Utah, Oregon St. Wazzu...thanks for playing. They can join the new and improved MWC.