Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2020 NFL DRAFT

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Anyone still dooging out for Harris?

Former 10-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas...

"Standouts from group OL group #1 were @MekhiBecton from @UofLFootball and Nick Harris from @UW_Football washington"

Nick Shook - NFL.com...

"Standouts I liked most from the two OL sessions: Tristan Wirfs, Jedrick Wills, Nick Harris, Cesar Ruiz, Jack Driscoll, Ezra Cleveland, Danny Pinter, Austin Jackson and Joshua Jones."

Gavino Borquez - NFL Draft Wire...

"My early offensive line favorites from the first on-field portion: Nick Harris (Washington), Jack Driscoll (Auburn), Ezra Cleveland (Boise State) and Matt Hennessy (Temple)."

Jacob Infante - NFL Draft Wire

"Washington OL Nick Harris has lowkey put together an impressive #NFLCombine so far.

"Ran a 5.10 40-yard-dash at 302 pounds and has looked really fluid and agile in movement drills. Looks like a quality Day 2 center prospect."

Did he grow over the weekend or block any good D-lineman yet?
    Why are you hanging onto this? It’s dumb.
    Is this a trick question?
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    Mad_Son said:

What are those percentiles of?
    https://3sigmaathlete.com/

The percentiles are where their pSPARQ places them among current NFL players.

@RaceBannon and I were first in being right. After getting our asses kicked all year long in the 2nd half and then this, fire Socha.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Emoterman said:

Mad_Son said:

@RaceBannon and I were first in being right. After getting our asses kicked all year long in the 2nd half and then this, fire Socha.
    Probably a little simple. So they were fast/strong enough to build leads against Utah and Oregon but then suddenly weren't fast or strong? The combine tests aren't muscle endurance or cardio tests, so if this narrative were true they would likely do fine in the combine tests except for the bench, the one muscle endurance test. But Hunter did fine in that.

More likely we were weak mentally and had shit offensive coaching that couldn't adjust once the opponent's defense got their shit together.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    For comparison, to see if this is a training room issue, past guys:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

Socha was here, right? Only have two guys approaching the low numbers of this year's crop; makes it seem like an anomaly.
  • Options
    RealRhino said:

Emoterman said:

Mad_Son said:

Probably a little simple. So they were fast/strong enough to build leads against Utah and Oregon but then suddenly weren't fast or strong? The combine tests aren't muscle endurance or cardio tests, so if this narrative were true they would likely do fine in the combine tests except for the bench, the one muscle endurance test. But Hunter did fine in that.

More likely we were weak mentally and had shit offensive coaching that couldn't adjust once the opponent's defense got their shit together.
    "Suddenly their poor conditioning led to them getting their asses kicked" would plainly be the argument that I was making. Failed conditioning evidenced by getting asses kicked in the final 1/3rd of the game, and failing at bigger, faster, stronger evidenced by not a single combine attendee that cracked the top 2/3 in testing. They can both be true, no? What am I missing? Not sure what one of our players having a very specific form of endurance is even meant to be evidence of.

I do accede that Pete having checked out from January 2019 on probably trickled down in suppressed morale team wide. People can easily tell when someone has lost passion, and when it's your philosophical manager CEO who wants to instill the values of hard work who has abandoned you spiritually, it would be super easy to let your ethic slide and slack off. But, it could be argued that that is specifically Socha's job to instill that ethic, and whether it's his fault or not, he has the taint of losing and failure on him with empirically bad results; the taint is on the whole staff, which is why it's shocking to me so many of them were retained, especially if this is the argument being made for 2nd half collapses as opposed to the quotidian explanation of lacking conditioning.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RealRhino said:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

Socha was here, right? Only have two guys approaching the low numbers of this year's crop; makes it seem like an anomaly.

Wow, this seemed like the potential weakness in the argument that Socha sucks, but other than genetic freaks Ross, McGary, and King (I'm implicitly arguing that they'd score high with or without S&C), everyone except BBK barely average, and even including BBK's 85th %, the average percentile of the moldable clay is 40th; 34th plucking out self-motivating BBK.

Again, what am I missing? That data set is even more damning, to my eyes.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We’ll see with Socha. I agree that Pete checking out subconsciously had an effect on the whole program.

We have always sucked in close games under Pete and I’ve always had a hypothesis that Pete’s high strung personality played a role.

Is the percentile shit a sparks score? Are we grading 40’s or everything they do at the combine?
  • Options

We’ll see with Socha. I agree that Pete checking out subconsciously had an effect on the whole program.

We have always sucked in close games under Pete and I’ve always had a hypothesis that Pete’s high strung personality played a role.

Is the percentile shit a sparks score? Are we grading 40’s or everything they do at the combine?

"The list of inputs for my NFL version of SPARQ, pSPARQ, are as follows: weight, forty-yard dash, ten-yard split, short shuttle, 3-cone drill, bench press, vertical jump, and broad jump."
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emoterman said:

"The list of inputs for my NFL version of SPARQ, pSPARQ, are as follows: weight, forty-yard dash, ten-yard split, short shuttle, 3-cone drill, bench press, vertical jump, and broad jump."
    It’s not impressive, but guys like Gaines, Gaskin, and Myles Bryant were never going to do well in a combine type setting. Equally concerning is that the instincts of the team have also drastically decreased.

Gaskin, Gaines, Rapp, BBK, Jones, Murphy (to a lesser extent) and a few others were not great because of their athleticism, but their football IQ. I would love to see a team that is huge and dominant up front with smart players behind it. We used to have a lot of guys that were really fucking good because they had elite instincts.

Rapp, Baker, Jones, and BBK were special players in that regard.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    Despite an overall performance that many considered disappointing for the Washington Huskies, nearly half the seven that did take part this past week in the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine made the All-Combine team.

Center Nick Harris was a first-team pick, while receiver Aaron Fuller and tight end Hunter Bryant made honorable mention.

"There's a good amount to be said about the players coaches tab to demonstrate each drill at the combine, and with the linemen, it was mainly Harris demoing drills for his group," NFL.com's Nick Shook said of the UW senior center. "He was an instant contributor at Washington and the reasons for his impact were easily seen on the field in Indianapolis. His footwork is excellent and his agility is top notch. Harris brings an element of power and explosiveness on the inside that very well could translate into a Pro Bowl center at the next level. Watching Harris run through drills was a treat, and while his 20 bench press reps are a slight concern and could contribute to a slide in the draft, his athleticism is difficult to overlook."

Harris ran a 5.1 official 40, jumped 103 inches in the standing broad jump, 29.5 inches in the vertical jump, and racked up 20 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press.

NFL.com's Chad Reuter was very complimentary of Fuller, who ran a 4.59 40, 7.14 in the 3-cone (L) drill, jumped 118 inches in the standing broad jump, and 34 inches in the vertical jump.

"Fuller's lack of size (5-foot-11) and below-average 40 time (4.59) mean little to me," Reuter said. "The former Husky was the most natural hands-catcher in the first group of receivers. While not huge or extremely fast, his route-running was quick and reliable. I don't know how high Fuller will be drafted, but he'll likely still be waiting to go long after his quarterback (Jacob Eason) has heard his named called. Teams willing to overlook his measurables and rely more on his game tape and combine performance, however, should take a shot on his talent."

Bryant, who received mixed analysis on the day he tested and worked out, made the All-Combine team nonetheless. "He didn't run as fast as I thought he would, but he's having a good field workout, the way he's moving around," NFL.com Analyst Daniel Jeremiah said at the time.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein compared Bryant to Jordan Reed, who played six years with the Washington Redskins.

"He will get the matchup-tight-end moniker, but scouts feel like he's more of a big slot receiver in the pros," Zierlein said of Bryant, who decided to leave UW with a year of eligibility remaining. "He doesn't have ideal size or determination as a blocker, but he has sticky hands with the acceleration to work past linebackers and threaten seams. He's a straight-line mover who gets bogged down in and out of breaks. He has playmaking ability but needs linear routes that allow him to keep moving on all three levels. Bryant is a scheme-dependent pass-catcher with a higher ceiling, but lower floor and a history of knee injuries that will need clearance by NFL medical staffs."
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Emoterman said:

RealRhino said:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

Wow, this seemed like the potential weakness in the argument that Socha sucks, but other than genetic freaks Ross, McGary, and King (I'm implicitly arguing that they'd score high with or without S&C), everyone except BBK barely average, and even including BBK's 85th %, the average percentile of the moldable clay is 40th; 34th plucking out self-motivating BBK.

That is quite a caveat. Almost everyone in the NFL other than QBs are genetic freaks.

Looking at the results as a whole without cherry picking to fit a narrative the results this year were significantly worse than recent classes.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Emoterman said:

RealRhino said:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

Wow, this seemed like the potential weakness in the argument that Socha is good, but other than guys coming off injury Dissly, Jordan, and Rapp (I'm implicitly arguing that they'd score low with or without a different S & C), everyone except Gaskin 35% or better, and even including MMFG 's 31%, the average percentile of the moldable clay is 63.2%

Again, what am I missing? That data set is even more impressive, to my eyes.

Cherry picking is bullshit.

hth.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Emoterman said:

RealRhino said:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

Wow, this seemed like the potential weakness in the argument that Socha is good, but other than guys coming off injury Dissly, Jordan, and Rapp (I'm implicitly arguing that they'd score low with or without a different S & C), everyone except Gaskin 35% or better, and even including MMFG 's 31%, the average percentile of the moldable clay is 63.2%

hth.
    You're absolutely right, I just wish I could find a cherry to pick out of this shitpie:

Jacob Eason 16.7 percentile
    Salvon Ahmed 27.1 percentile
    Hunter Bryant 32.3 percentile
    Aaron Fuller 11.4 percentile
    Trey Adams 2.4 percentile
    Nick Harris 31.2 percentile

How long should graveyards be whistled past?
  • Options
    Emoterman said:

dnc said:

Emoterman said:

RealRhino said:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

hth.
    You're absolutely right, I just wish I could find a cherry to pick out of this shitpie:

Nobody's arguing this year's were good.

The point is they haven't been bad before this year.

Especially when you compare performances versus recruiting ranking.

UW kids have consistently outperformed their ranking under Socha until this year with Ahmed, Bryant and Adams.

You want to argue that's a trend, go for it. But don't misrepresent prior years to do it.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,503
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Emoterman said:

dnc said:

Emoterman said:

RealRhino said:

Budda - 36%
    Ross - 96
    Dissly - 17
    BBK - 85
    Gaines - 40
    Gaskin - 31
    Kaleb - 84
    Jordan - 22
    Byron - 46
    Rapp - 32
    King Kevoo - 99
    Sample - 52

hth.

Nobody's arguing this year's were good.

The point is they haven't been bad before this year.

Especially when you compare performances versus recruiting ranking.

UW kids have consistently outperformed their ranking under Socha until this year with Ahmed, Bryant and Adams.

You want to argue that's a trend, go for it. But don't misrepresent prior years to do it.
    The seniors weren't leaders. They were good role players on a conference championship team.

I think that's all there is to it.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    There was a shortage in the rhino cum market for many teams for the last few years.

Look at bloomgren who left Stanford at the beginning of the shortage. He knew what time it was and made a pre-emptive move and look where they are now. A passing team.

UW testing poorly and rationalizations are given that they are "coached well" and got recognition from all star selections - as being reasons that may suggest it's not a big deal.

I don't know man. Testing this year is really bad relatively.

An anomaly? Maybe

All I know is that it's stupid and not acceptable. I'm stopping right there. Something is fucked up.
  • Options
    DoogDawgDoogDawg Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2020

Top two issues I had with Petersen as well

Will never understand why people love to take shots at Pete. All he did was lead us to the CFB, win two pac-12 titles and lead us to three new year six bowl games.
    Lost all three then quit like a pussy

Never got a quarterback or an offense

Left us with an assistant

Fuck that guy for real
    I say this with the greatest respect: go die in a slow-burning fire.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    Founders Club

NFL.com's Chad Reuter was very complimentary of Fuller, who ran a 4.59 40, 7.14 in the 3-cone (L) drill, jumped 118 inches in the standing broad jump, and 34 inches in the vertical jump.

"Fuller's lack of size (5-foot-11) and below-average 40 time (4.59) mean little to me," Reuter said. "The former Husky was the most natural hands-catcher in the first group of receivers. While not huge or extremely fast, his route-running was quick and reliable. I don't know how high Fuller will be drafted, but he'll likely still be waiting to go long after his quarterback (Jacob Eason) has heard his named called. Teams willing to overlook his measurables and rely more on his game tape and combine performance, however, should take a shot on his talent."

So the other receivers couldn't catch?
  • Options

So the other receivers couldn't catch?
    Fuller caught everything he touched his entire career except the Cal and Stanford games this year when he inexplicably couldn't catch the Corona Virus from a Chinese ladyboy. Yet for some reason Eason Kept. Throwing. Him. The. Ball. He must have had 20 targets versus Stanford.

SoFuckingIrritating.gif