Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

LA Times writer witnessed Kobe copter crash

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

It doesn’t matter at this point

What matters is families were ripped apart at their core

And way down the pecking order the world of basketball lost an influencer that had the power to influence both men’s and women’s basketball going forward in a profound way

For as great as Kobe was on the court ... he held the power to be a greater influence off of it

It’s beyond a sad day ...

And fuck anybody that wants to come out with a “I seen it” perspective

Precisely why I can't figure out why anyone would say the day Magic retired was a sadder day.

You know anyone who tweeted that?

I can’t speak to anyone’s age

In 1991 HIV was a death sentence ...

Magic was an active player coming off a trip to the Finals ...

Kobe was retired ...

I’m gutted by all the children involved as it’s beyond horrible

I don’t know how you compare the two ...

I wasn’t yet a teenager for Magic ... I’m in my 40s for Kobe ... maybe that’s jading me a bit

Both are monumental you know were you were hearing the news ... I was and am deeply impacted all day ... I will be for a while

This is so devastating on so many levels ...

Magic’s announcement taught me be careful who you sleep with ...

Kobe is a flat out tragedy ...

What am I supposed to think?

Fuck you for in any way suggesting that my feelings are right, wrong, or anything in between

This sucks ... and I’ve been hurting all day ... and I will be hurting for a while

It’s just bad ... so so bad

Were you sleeping with a lot of gay men or IV drug users before Magic's announcement?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kobe was the basketball icon of my youth. I'd wager I have more invested memories of watching him play than anyone on the boreds. Still the #1 thing that hit me when I heard about this is how awful it had to be to go down in a helicopter with your daughter knowing there's nothing you can do.

As you assholes eloquently pointed out I'm not really interested in the social media virtue signaling circle jerk about this event. Was stuck in the hospital yesterday watching ESPN on repeat and the coverage was so contrived that I wanted to throw a shoe at the TV Iraqi style.

Kobe and by proxy his daughter are going to get more coverage purely because Kobe touched more lives. More people are there to give a shit bc they have a direct memory of him. It's just that simple. Same goes for anyone else of note vs. one of us basement dwellers. That's the world.

Irregardless, Kobe had the potential to do a lot more good in this world than the bad he had done. It sucks that we all lost that.

True. But the people who only knew him through television can go fuck themselves with their Facebook posts and telling us where they were when they heard. No one gives a fuck were you where or what you thought.

I wonder what these people where thinking knowing there is nothing they can do when they were going down? Actually, they weren't famous so know one gave a fuck except their friends and family

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/us/hawaii-helicopter-missing.amp.html
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

The odds of a hetero dick and vag transmission of HIV is about one in ten thousand. What in the hell are you brigands arguing about? What the fuck is this thread haha

That's what I'm saying !
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020

Here's my opinion on it. Everyone struggles in life, everyone loses loved ones. Tragic for the young girl and other families. Kobe was lotteried talent at birth. Life changing talent that he did some good with and some bad things with. We all do what we can with what we have and make mistakes and contributions. To put more emphasis on a star athletes death or famous person's death is fucking stupid. He's no more deserving of being missed because he was great at basketball than anyone else should be. Mourn those close to yourself they're the ones who are Important. Rally around your own the rest should do the same.

The more famous person has had a bigger impact on the world, therefore they get more emphasis. Seems pretty normal and fair to me.
    Maybe. Of course it big news when a celebrity dies. Especially when they are relatively young. But in the age of social media people are even more likely to attempt to "insert" themselves into the event. Like starting Facebook threads and people offering condolences is a meaningless way and in a way no one actually suffering from the tragedy will ever see. It's essentially just more narcissism in an increasing look at me world.
    Not really. You’re not really standing out by posting a message about Kobe’s death. Most aren’t offering condolences.

I agree that celebrity deaths can be annoying and get your point, but the real way people use death for narcissistic purposes are the monthly reminders and notes to their deceased relatives. Some people really go heavy with that.

It’s the same for people that write personal stuff, directed to their two year old child. The kid isn’t reading this and it’s all for likes and comments.

Don’t you get sick of this shtick tho? Just don’t read that stuff or ignore it. Kobe had an impact and was the biggest star in his profession for years. Of course it’s big news when he dies at 41, just a couple years removed from being an active player.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,799
    Baseman said:

Here's my opinion on it. Everyone struggles in life, everyone loses loved ones. Tragic for the young girl and other families. Kobe was lotteried talent at birth. Life changing talent that he did some good with and some bad things with. We all do what we can with what we have and make mistakes and contributions. To put more emphasis on a star athletes death or famous person's death is fucking stupid. He's no more deserving of being missed because he was great at basketball than anyone else should be. Mourn those close to yourself they're the ones who are Important. Rally around your own the rest should do the same.

The more famous person has had a bigger impact on the world, therefore they get more emphasis. Seems pretty normal and fair to me.
    Maybe. Of course it big news when a celebrity dies. Especially when they are relatively young. But in the age of social media people are even more likely to attempt to "insert" themselves into the event. Like starting Facebook threads and people offering condolences is a meaningless way and in a way no one actually suffering from the tragedy will ever see. It's essentially just more narcissism in an increasing look at me world.
    So much this...

For example:

Did she forget the other 7 angels Heaven got?
    They didn't go to mass right before the flight.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,799
    I will say this - for 24 hours, it was nice to have a reprieve from Trump Derangement Syndrome and leftist/right wing shit.

• Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Not really. You’re not really standing out by posting a message about Kobe’s death. Most aren’t offering condolences.

I agree that celebrity deaths can be annoying and get your point, but the real way people use death for narcissistic purposes are the monthly reminders and notes to their deceased relatives. Some people really go heavy with that.

It’s the same for people that write personal stuff, directed to their two year old child. The kid isn’t reading this and it’s all for likes and comments.

Don’t you get sick of this shtick tho? Just don’t read that stuff or ignore it. Kobe had an impact and was the biggest star in his profession for years. Of course it’s big news when he dies at 41, just a couple years removed from being an active player.
    I have several people I keep as Facebook friends solely for their thinly veiled narcissistic posts. It never fails to make me feel better about myself when I see that stuff.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

It doesn’t matter at this point

What matters is families were ripped apart at their core

And way down the pecking order the world of basketball lost an influencer that had the power to influence both men’s and women’s basketball going forward in a profound way

For as great as Kobe was on the court ... he held the power to be a greater influence off of it

It’s beyond a sad day ...

And fuck anybody that wants to come out with a “I seen it” perspective

Precisely why I can't figure out why anyone would say the day Magic retired was a sadder day.

You know anyone who tweeted that?

I can’t speak to anyone’s age

In 1991 HIV was a death sentence ...

Magic was an active player coming off a trip to the Finals ...

Kobe was retired ...

I’m gutted by all the children involved as it’s beyond horrible

I don’t know how you compare the two ...

I wasn’t yet a teenager for Magic ... I’m in my 40s for Kobe ... maybe that’s jading me a bit

Both are monumental you know were you were hearing the news ... I was and am deeply impacted all day ... I will be for a while

This is so devastating on so many levels ...

Kobe is a flat out tragedy ...

What am I supposed to think?

Fuck you for in any way suggesting that my feelings are right, wrong, or anything in between

This sucks ... and I’ve been hurting all day ... and I will be hurting for a while

It’s just bad ... so so bad

Were you sleeping with a lot of gay men or IV drug users before Magic's announcement?
    @Tequilla's silence speaks volumes