Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to the Nega Mariners in here

13»

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    exactly, and it isn't like the MLB is full of solid rotations.
    who is better?
    Definitely the dodgers cardinals tigers and Rays, those teams for sure.
    Then who? Giants? no, Cain and Lincecum are shells of their former selves. Indians, maybe, but their situation with Kluber/Salazar is very much like the mariners and they don't have the guys at the top the mariners do. Red Sox, there's no ace in that rotation, and please don't say lester. Rangers are a dumpster fire right now. Pirates, maybe. But Liriano has done it for one year and there is still plenty of question marks there. The braves? they started Aaron Harang the other day. The royals are very similar to the mariners.
    Please find me 7 to 8 rotations that are better than Felix, Iwakuma, Walker, Paxton, Elias/Ramirez
  • Options

Paxton has killed it in his 4 or 5 big league starts

So did Felix, and then he struggled for awhile. Felix was great when he first came and then struggled for a year and a half. Paxton wasn't killing it in the minors last year. Both him and Walker have talent, but who knows if they can put it all together in a consistent matter at this point.

you're pulling out one example, and felix wasn't as dominant as paxton has been.
    he has a low 1's ERA through 5 starts, that doesn't happen by accident.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    As much as I want to say dhdawg is right I know in my heart that Road Dawg is right. There will be bumps in the road, even Pineda looked unhittable first half of 2011 then fell apart second half. It happens.

Good point about Felix too. Dominant in his call up in 2005, average in 2006. Was good in 2007 and 2008 then became the ace in 2009. It takes time.

I like our rotation and the M's would certainly be an annoying team to face in the postseason due to it. However, counting on basically three rookies/inexperienced pitchers in Paxton, Walker, Ramirez/Elias is asking for a lot.
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

So did Felix, and then he struggled for awhile. Felix was great when he first came and then struggled for a year and a half. Paxton wasn't killing it in the minors last year. Both him and Walker have talent, but who knows if they can put it all together in a consistent matter at this point.

you're pulling out one example, and felix wasn't as dominant as paxton has been.
    Felix had a 1.59 ERA after his first seven starts.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=hernafe02&t=p&year=2005
  • Options

As much as I want to say dhdawg is right I know in my heart that Road Dawg is right. There will be bumps in the road, even Pineda looked unhittable first half of 2011 then fell apart second half. It happens.

Good point about Felix too. Dominant in his call up in 2005, average in 2006. Was good in 2007 and 2008 then became the ace in 2009. It takes time.

I like our rotation and the M's would certainly be an annoying team to face in the postseason due to it. However, counting on basically three rookies/inexperienced pitchers in Paxton, Walker, Ramirez/Elias is asking for a lot.

I'm not saying it's a great rotation though, you are completely missing the point. Injuries have plagued pretty much every pitching staff.
    No way am I saying this is a great rotation, but please name me 8 rotations you'd rather have
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Giants are still better. You should look that one up. Cain, Bumgarner, Lincecum, Hudson, and Vogelsong are a better rotation than Felix, an injured Ishaguwa, and a bunch of young, unproven guys. Cain has had one bad (it was decent) season. He had one of the better WHIP in the NL. He hasn't reached Lincecum territory yet. Vogelsong is another guy that had two good years than fell off last year. That's a good rotation that had a terrible year. Other than that, it's not in my wheelhouse. I don't watch any baseball. I just watch highlights and read the box scores. I do know this isn't a top 7 or 8 rotation. Top 7 rotations don't have only two proven guys.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

wow I forgot how great he was! we'll see I guess. I still think Paxton can be Eric Bedard (minues the injuries and dogshit attitude)
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

wow I forgot how great he was! we'll see I guess. I still think Paxton can be Eric Bedard (minues the injuries and dogshit attitude)
    People forget because of those two reasons that often overshadow him but when healthy Bedard is a top tier pitcher.

Now he had never gone 200 innings and had sat out the entire month of September before Bavasi butt fucked the franchise with that trade.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    okay roaddawg since you don't want to actually name anyone, when healthy these are the top 10 rotations in baseball.
    1. Cardinals
    2. Dodgers
    3. Tigers
    4. Nationals
    5. Yankees (we'll see on this one though)
    6. Giants
    7. Mariners/Indians/Braves/Athletics, you can pretty much say they're all about equal
  • Options

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

People forget because of those two reasons that often overshadow him but when healthy Bedard is a top tier pitcher.

Now he had never gone 200 innings and had sat out the entire month of September before Bavasi butt fucked the franchise with that trade.
    Bedard was never an ace. He would give you 5/6 really good innings every night, his control was all over the place, but he would rack up enough strikeouts to overcome that/ Bedard is a 3 on a great team, I think paxton can be that
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014
    dhdawg, we will have to see later in the year. I think the rotation has potential, but has too many questions. If Iwakuma can come back and pitch at last year's level. If Walker and Paxton are truly ready. If Ramirez is now a legit #3 starter and not the #5 type he has been so far.

You might be right about the Red Sox, but I would still probably have their rotation. Their offense can mask pitching problems, but it's a pretty good rotation. They have Peavy and Bucholz at the end of the rotation. I know Peavy hasn't been the same pitcher for a few years, and Bucholz is brittle, but those guys are pretty good pitchers. They also pitch in a hitters park, while Seattle plays at Safeco.
  • Options
    I can see the red sox. In the front end I'd take Hernandez and Iwakuma over Lackey and Lester every day and twice on sunday, but at the end Bucholz, and Peavy are definitely more reliable options than what the mariners have, they can definitely be included in that conversation.
    We'll have a much clearer picture later in the season