Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For those that were happy Pete retired so we could get more energy into the program...

This what you were talking about?

FML...this hire reminds me of this guy:

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If that’s Lappano he was a better hire. Ty was too. At least they had a little bit of coaching success in their careers. This clown has none.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    That's Ed Donatell, the "savior" of our defense who was going to bring "NFL experience" and managed to lead a defense that gave up something like 38 points a game on its way to going 0-12.

The only slight non-negative from this shite of a hire I can see is if they put him in as OC/RB coach and way overpay to bring in some QB coach that knows something, can be a co-OC, and can recruit.

How the hell did Pete let this happen? And did Jimmy just make a shite hire to prove he could go outside of Pete's influence?

What a shiteshow...
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,499
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm still happy Pete retired.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

That's Ed Donatell, the "savior" of our defense who was going to bring "NFL experience" and managed to lead a defense that gave up something like 38 points a game on its way to going 0-12.

The only slight non-negative from this shite of a hire I can see is if they put him in as OC/RB coach and way overpay to bring in some QB coach that knows something, can be a co-OC, and can recruit.

How the hell did Pete let this happen? And did Jimmy just make a shite hire to prove he could go outside of Pete's influence?

What a shiteshow...

I'm not ready to anoint this a shit hire just yet. I've seen way too many assistant coaches at both the collegiate and professional level completely defy expectations (for better or worse) that were widely held. Every year of football is another data point of how much we fans truly don't know what it takes to be successful in this profession.

Now I am comfortable anointing it as an underwhelming hire, and given his resume it's definitely not something to celebrate, like, say, hiring Moorehead would be. Given that Jimmy is a brand new coach with no offensive experience, I'd be a lot more comfortable if we threw bags of money at a surefire offensive mind who could totally own that side of the ball. Jimmy proving that he was a guy who could inspire confidence in other high profile coaches and get them in the boat would have been a good indictment of his executive acumen. That didn't happen.

But he still gets the chance to strike out on his own where it actually matters. LIFPO.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mooser42 said:

dnc said:

haie said:

I'm still happy Pete retired.

I'd take Pete back in a heartbeat.
    I'd take Bush back in a heartbeat
    I probably would since he wouldn't be running Pete's offense anymore.

I am interested in seeing us run a different offense finally.

And that's the best thing I can say about this hire. It's *different*.

Hell *different different* even.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

What a shiteshow...

I think he's already been anointed QB coach.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

What a shiteshow...

Donovan is the QB coach too. Huard is going to decommit.
  • Options

What a shiteshow...

Donovan is the QB coach too. Huard is going to decommit.
    Huard isn't leaving.

This guy won't be coaching here for more than one of Sam's seasons at the most anyway.
  • Options
    WRDawgWRDawg Member Posts: 55
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Pete is staying on as an offensive analyst
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    Founders Club

What a shiteshow...

I'm not ready to anoint this a shit hire just yet. I've seen way too many assistant coaches at both the collegiate and professional level completely defy expectations (for better or worse) that were widely held. Every year of football is another data point of how much we fans truly don't know what it takes to be successful in this profession.

Now I am comfortable anointing it as an underwhelming hire, and given his resume it's definitely not something to celebrate, like, say, hiring Moorehead would be. Given that Jimmy is a brand new coach with no offensive experience, I'd be a lot more comfortable if we threw bags of money at a surefire offensive mind who could totally own that side of the ball. Jimmy proving that he was a guy who could inspire confidence in other high profile coaches and get them in the boat would have been a good indictment of his executive acumen. That didn't happen.

But he still gets the chance to strike out on his own where it actually matters. LIFPO.
    I was confused by the Brian Schottenheimer hire, and he has been great. But Pete Carroll was a proven commodity as a head coach. Lake isnt. So I give some merit to your comment, but it doesn't change the fact that this hire is a foolish risk.
  • Options

What a shiteshow...

I was confused by the Brian Schottenheimer hire, and he has been great. But Pete Carroll was a proven commodity as a head coach. Lake isnt. So I give some merit to your comment, but it doesn't change the fact that this hire is a foolish risk.
    Schottenheimer sucks
  • Options
    I should say Schottenheimer sucks as an OC/play caller. He's been surprisingly good as a QB coach.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

What a shiteshow...

Schottenheimer sucks
    Disagree. He's had some shit moments, but to even keep this team in games with the patchwork OL they have is a feat in and of itself. And last year was a resoundingly successful offensive year, brought down by an awful defense.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

dnc said:

What a shiteshow...

Schottenheimer sucks
    Disagree. He's had some shit moments, but to even keep this team in games with the patchwork OL they have is a feat in and of itself. And last year was a resoundingly successful offensive year, brought down by an awful defense.
    Last year was better than this year (still bad though since offensive play calling lost us the playoff game).

This year he runs on first down far far far too much to be a good play caller.

He has an elite QB and fails to recognize it most of the time.

It's probably mostly Pete but the over-reliance on the run is exactly why Pete wanted him in the first place, so it's both of them.

I would argue he's had some brilliant moments (the bomb to DK to ice the game Sunday was an amazing call). But more often than not he's bad.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2020

What a shiteshow...

Here's how you balance out the hire of Donovan. Got get Ryan Gunderson from San Jose. West coast guy with lots of contacts. Good recruiter. Delegate the passing side of the offense to him and let Donovan coordinate the run side and call plays. Gunderson would also coach the QB's and TE's. It's got potential.