Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Terrence Brown hired as DB coach

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

The secondary is the crux of Kwat's defense. We play with 5-7 of them on the field all game with a huge variety of alignments and assignments. It's a big difference from the traditional two corner, two safety with some nickel thrown in defenses. Harris has never been a sole secondary coach and Lake wont have time to hold his hand. This is a good hire fuckos.

But...I wouldn't lose any sleep if Harris had been replaced by an experienced coach who could handle the whole secondary either. I'm just failing to see anything negative about the move.

7 is extremely rare.

I agree the secondary is more important in our scheme than in most. I just don't agree that we need 3 DB coaches on staff.

Top of my head ways I'd rather use that 10th coach in a Lake administration:

- Dedicated ST coach
    - 2nd OL coach
    - OLB coach so Kwat can just coordinate and get off the road (this might be the best idea of them all)
    - DE coach so DDY and Coker's head can asplode

There are plenty of better uses IMO.

I agree I like the Brown hire himself.

I am wholly unconvinced that Will Harris adds anything of value.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I don't really care about having 2 DB coaches. But they better be able to recruit, and better be able to help the rest of the staff recruit LA. Oregon and ASU are going after California hard, and we need to step up. Hiring Brown doesn't immediately help with that since he was at Vanderbilt, and Harris was spending so much time on Texas.

They need to get after it fast, and if it doesn't work its on Lake because he hired both of them.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

@sonics1993 says hes not a fan of the hire because he doesnt think he'll be a good recruiter. Luckily we have a pretty good record on hires that are reviled for their assumed lack of recruiting prowess

Who has GA recruited that has convinced everyone he's a great recruiter? The obsession with GA among a faction of the fanbase is approaching Jordan Banks territory.
    The obsession is brought to you by the same portion of our fan base so it makes sense. I like GA but he likely wants a coordinator job this year or next.

If he stays on as secondary coach at cal for more than a year the hire of brown is a little curious, but I think Alexander is thinking bigger than secondary coach at uw. Just my two cents.
    GA has been a solid coach at Cal and I'd love to have him for his coaching ability but there's definitely some doog legend in his mythos. As has been pointed out, his recruiting has been fine but nothing spectacular. He's done well with lower-tier pac 12 db recruits. A lot of people assume hed be a great recruiter at UW because it's a step up from Cal in terms of program perception and he was active on twitter when he was here before which made him very favorable to some of the posters here.

The other aspect of this is that there seems to be an expectation among our fanbase that hes yearning to "return" to UW and that he would clearly be the #1 choice because of his links to the program. The problem is that this is probably utter bullshit. Hes not from Washington and played college ball at Boise. His only connection to UW was being a GA here for 1 year in 2015 when we sucked. He left after that year to to be an intern in the NFL. It could very well be that Jommy offered him a lot of money to come here and he said, "nah, I'm waiting to see what my options are"

He's a solid coach, but probably not the chosen one that the message boards and podcasts make him out to be
    The even dumber expectation that Chest is still pushing on BDTW is that GA wants to come back to UW so badly that he's willing to coach LB instead of the secondary, a position he's never played or coached.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    If you have 3 DB(lake is going to strong grip on that position group) coaches on the staff that means you got none
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    We need lb coaches
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

@sonics1993 says hes not a fan of the hire because he doesnt think he'll be a good recruiter. Luckily we have a pretty good record on hires that are reviled for their assumed lack of recruiting prowess

Who has GA recruited that has convinced everyone he's a great recruiter? The obsession with GA among a faction of the fanbase is approaching Jordan Banks territory.
    The obsession is brought to you by the same portion of our fan base so it makes sense. I like GA but he likely wants a coordinator job this year or next.

If he stays on as secondary coach at cal for more than a year the hire of brown is a little curious, but I think Alexander is thinking bigger than secondary coach at uw. Just my two cents.
    GA has been a solid coach at Cal and I'd love to have him for his coaching ability but there's definitely some doog legend in his mythos. As has been pointed out, his recruiting has been fine but nothing spectacular. He's done well with lower-tier pac 12 db recruits. A lot of people assume hed be a great recruiter at UW because it's a step up from Cal in terms of program perception and he was active on twitter when he was here before which made him very favorable to some of the posters here.

The other aspect of this is that there seems to be an expectation among our fanbase that hes yearning to "return" to UW and that he would clearly be the #1 choice because of his links to the program. The problem is that this is probably utter bullshit. Hes not from Washington and played college ball at Boise. His only connection to UW was being a GA here for 1 year in 2015 when we sucked. He left after that year to to be an intern in the NFL. It could very well be that Jommy offered him a lot of money to come here and he said, "nah, I'm waiting to see what my options are"

He's a solid coach, but probably not the chosen one that the message boards and podcasts make him out to be
    The even dumber expectation that Chest is still pushing on BDTW is that GA wants to come back to UW so badly that he's willing to coach LB instead of the secondary, a position he's never played or coached.
    Or that we need him so badly that we should offer him a job at a position he's never played, coached, or recruited at.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The even dumber expectation that all of them have pushed is that GA is the best choice for recruiting coordinator.

Alexander is a great coach whose greatest recruiting success is Trey Paster.

Not that a recruiting coordinator actually has to be able to recruit but they think a RC has to be able to recruit.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

The secondary is the crux of Kwat's defense. We play with 5-7 of them on the field all game with a huge variety of alignments and assignments. It's a big difference from the traditional two corner, two safety with some nickel thrown in defenses. Harris has never been a sole secondary coach and Lake wont have time to hold his hand. This is a good hire fuckos.

But...I wouldn't lose any sleep if Harris had been replaced by an experienced coach who could handle the whole secondary either. I'm just failing to see anything negative about the move.

7 is extremely rare.

I agree the secondary is more important in our scheme than in most. I just don't agree that we need 3 DB coaches on staff.

- Dedicated ST coach
    - 2nd OL coach
    - OLB coach so Kwat can just coordinate and get off the road (this might be the best idea of them all)

I'm with you there.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2020
    dnc said:

Last night I saw he didn’t have a position announced and they were waiting to fill the entire staff before announcing his position.

Also he was CB coach at Vandy not DB.

Also why the fuck do we need two DB coaches when our head coach is a DB coach.

In conclusion I hope this means Will Harris is Door. Ass. Out.

Harris will still be here. Lake had a quote about the two of them coaching together. It is a ton of focus on DB’s since you know Lake won’t completely step away. That’s still his baby just like how QB is most head coaches baby. Obviously he won’t be nearly as involved, but they are getting more of his time than any other position except MAYBE QB.

If there were any position to have two coaches, it’s the OL considering the very average job Huff has done with them coaching wise. It’s why I want a TE coach that has OL coaching experience so we can basically double up there. I guess we could do it with RB coach too.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

7 is extremely rare.

- Dedicated ST coach
    - 2nd OL coach

I don’t see the need either, but some teams have a S and CB coach. UW in 2000 did with Heater at CB and Hauck at S.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

The even dumber expectation that all of them have pushed is that GA is the best choice for recruiting coordinator.

Not that a recruiting coordinator actually has to be able to recruit but they think a RC has to be able to recruit.
    This. Every time that this is brought up it seems that nobody understands what the recruiting coordinator actually does. Its not glamorous.
    RC should be someone outside the actual on field coaching staff. I know it’s common for an on field coach to be that guy, but it’s not a necessity. I just looked and neither Ohio State or Alabama have a recruiting coordinator that is an actual coach.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

This. Every time that this is brought up it seems that nobody understands what the recruiting coordinator actually does. Its not glamorous.
    RC should be someone outside the actual on field coaching staff. I know it’s common for an on field coach to be that guy, but it’s not a necessity. I just looked and neither Ohio State or Alabama have a recruiting coordinator that is an actual coach.
    Theyre staffs are massive vs the uw though so it’s not apples to apples. That said it is more of a title to justify pay with some basic responsibilities.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

ChestFS still pushing the GA to LB coach idea. Sad how far he's fallen

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

ChestFS still pushing the GA to LB coach idea. Sad how far he's fallen

We joke about that phrase a lot but that guy really has jumped the fucking shark. His pod used to be harmless fun and now its downright embarrassing. Hes trying super hard to copy DDY's angry shtick and it just comes off as super fake. He's also pretending to have sources inside the program, which is always interesting
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

And yet they have tons of contact with PSAs and their families and routinely get mentioned by recruits.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

chuck said:

7 is extremely rare.

- Dedicated ST coach
    - 2nd OL coach

I don’t see the need either, but some teams have a S and CB coach. UW in 2000 did with Heater at CB and Hauck at S.
    Keith Heyward and Donte Williams.
  • Options
    RDRRDR Member Posts: 580
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dtd said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

7 is extremely rare.

- Dedicated ST coach
    - 2nd OL coach

Keith Heyward and Donte Williams.