Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Playoffs?

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
I was never in favor of the playoff but I did look forward to watching it when it came about. Now I find myself having to remind myself that the games are this Saturday

The playoffs put the final nail in the big bowls and winning the conference. Now they are killing themselves by being the regional playoff for a regional sport. LSU is going to curb stomp OU and the other game should be good but at the end of the day who gives a fuck? This isn't the NFL and it never will be and the more you try to make it the more you kill it. Anyone been to a minor league baseball game lately? How about a D league basketball game?

College football is celebrating 150 years. The NFL 100 and lets be real it wasn't until the 60's and Vince Lombardi that pro football arrived. 50 year sport. We? were first

So instead of looking forward to Jan 1 and

Oregon v Ohio State - Rose
Clemson v Oklahoma - Orange
LSU v Bama rematch - Sugar

We aren't.

Whatever

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m still first. 167 years in.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2019

I was never in favor of the playoff but I did look forward to watching it when it came about. Now I find myself having to remind myself that the games are this Saturday

The playoffs put the final nail in the big bowls and winning the conference. Now they are killing themselves by being the regional playoff for a regional sport. LSU is going to curb stomp OU and the other game should be good but at the end of the day who gives a fuck? This isn't the NFL and it never will be and the more you try to make it the more you kill it. Anyone been to a minor league baseball game lately? How about a D league basketball game?

College football is celebrating 150 years. The NFL 100 and lets be real it wasn't until the 60's and Vince Lombardi that pro football arrived. 50 year sport. We? were first

We aren't.

Whatever

We disagree on this and that's okay. I don't want to wait until New Years Day for quality matchups, I want them during the regular season so I have incentive to actually show up at the stadium. Due to the nature of the current system, the big boys know they can't lose more than one game during the season so they build a schedule that minimizes the chance of regular season losses. Out of curiosity I looked at the Huskies out of conference scheduling for the next ten years. You get Ohio State and Michigan. Awesome. You also get Montana, North Dakota, Arkansas State, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Tulsa, Portland State, Nevada and Weber State. That's digraceful and a slap in the face to season ticket holders. And people wonder why the stadium is so empty. The 8 team playoff is coming and I'm loving it because it means we can actually schedule decent regular season games again. Get on it Jen.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m still first. 167 years in.

*Ahem, 197.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

We disagree on this and that's okay. I don't want to wait until New Years Day for quality matchups, I want them during the regular season so I have incentive to actually show up at the stadium. Due to the nature of the current system, the big boys know they can't lose more than one game during the season so they build a schedule that minimizes the chance of regular season losses. Out of curiosity I looked at the Huskies out of conference scheduling for the next ten years. You get Ohio State and Michigan. Awesome. You also get Montana, North Dakota, Arkansas State, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Tulsa, Portland State, Nevada and Weber State. That's digraceful and a slap in the face to season ticket holders. And people wonder why the stadium is so empty. The 8 team playoff is coming and I'm loving it because it means we can actually schedule decent regular season games again. Get on it Jen.
    Toledo, Pacific, San Jose State, and East Carolina were tough in the early 90s.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Race gets it.

Probably over half the people here especially ducks don’t even remember how awesome it was. They just get smug with..

Ok Boomer.

Fuck off

I remember.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    You can’t make the players care about the bowls ever again. The bowls were cool but they never made any logical sense either. I’m indifferent to whichever way they wanted to do it (playoffs or bowls). I do like settling a championship on the field though and trying to hang on to the bowl system at this point is stupid.

The bowls were more about a trip for the fans than anything else. They should now die but instead we get this weird hybrid shit of including them in the playoffs.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    2001400ex said:

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Selective memory. We used to schedule A,B,C. Now it's more like A/B ,D,F. There's a difference now. Sorry if you don't see it.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    W
    whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

It doesn’t sound like you disagree

Before the playoffs the big boys couldn’t lose a game more than one game either.

Look at the OCC during Don James years. Not much different. They didn’t have FCS teams then because it wasn’t a thing. But tons of shit tier teams from FBS conferences with the occasional powerhouse.

But you’re right. A powerful 5 team isn’t penalized as much as they should be for crap schedule.
  • Options

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Before the playoffs the big boys couldn’t lose a game more than one game either.

Look at the OCC during Don James years. Not much different. They didn’t have FCS teams then because it wasn’t a thing. But tons of shit tier teams from FBS conferences with the occasional powerhouse.
    Mike a question. Do you go to games?
  • Options

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

But you’re right. A powerful 5 team isn’t penalized as much as they should be for crap schedule.
    I just want to see a quality regular season with incentive to lose a couple of games and still have a shot to win it on the field at the end of the season. Those are not mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

All home games and most away games. So yes. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

I just want to see a quality regular season with incentive to lose a couple of games and still have a shot to win it on the field at the end of the season. Those are not mutually exclusive.
    You describe what it was like before the playoff
  • Options

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

All home games and most away games. Yes. Why do you ask?
    As someone who spends money going to games are you happy watching the dreck on the home schedule lately and what appears in the future?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

I have. It was A,B,C scheduling and sometimes A,B,B. There was a buzz in town before big games. That is largely gone now. Why show up to watch shit? I guess I'm retarded but no one has explained to me why you can't have the best of both worlds. A quality regular season, with an 8 team playoff that is essentially a dynamite 6 game bowl season.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

As someone who spends money going to games are you happy watching the dreck on the home schedule lately and what appears in the future?
    Like I said, it’s really not much different than it ever was.

It’s always been crap teams with an occasional powerhouse.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    whuggy said:

2001400ex said:

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Selective memory. We used to schedule A,B,C. Now it's more like A/B ,D,F. There's a difference now. Sorry if you don't see it.
    Mostly agreed other than those teams aren't C. And some of those years was A,A, F.
  • Options

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Really? You telling me our current scheduling is the same as it ever was? Up until a few years back we were proudly one of four teams in football never having scheduled a division down. Now it's a common occurence.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Really? You telling me our current scheduling is the same as it ever was? Up until a few years back we were proudly one of four teams in football never having scheduled a division down. Now it's a common occurence.
    Yes. I’m telling you it wasn’t as great as you seem to think