Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Playoffs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

I was never in favor of the playoff but I did look forward to watching it when it came about. Now I find myself having to remind myself that the games are this Saturday

The playoffs put the final nail in the big bowls and winning the conference. Now they are killing themselves by being the regional playoff for a regional sport. LSU is going to curb stomp OU and the other game should be good but at the end of the day who gives a fuck? This isn't the NFL and it never will be and the more you try to make it the more you kill it. Anyone been to a minor league baseball game lately? How about a D league basketball game?

College football is celebrating 150 years. The NFL 100 and lets be real it wasn't until the 60's and Vince Lombardi that pro football arrived. 50 year sport. We? were first

So instead of looking forward to Jan 1 and

Oregon v Ohio State - Rose
    Clemson v Oklahoma - Orange
    LSU v Bama rematch - Sugar

We aren't.

Whatever

We disagree on this and that's okay. I don't want to wait until New Years Day for quality matchups, I want them during the regular season so I have incentive to actually show up at the stadium. Due to the nature of the current system, the big boys know they can't lose more than one game during the season so they build a schedule that minimizes the chance of regular season losses. Out of curiosity I looked at the Huskies out of conference scheduling for the next ten years. You get Ohio State and Michigan. Awesome. You also get Montana, North Dakota, Arkansas State, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Tulsa, Portland State, Nevada and Weber State. That's digraceful and a slap in the face to season ticket holders. And people wonder why the stadium is so empty. The 8 team playoff is coming and I'm loving it because it means we can actually schedule decent regular season games again. Get on it Jen.
    Before the playoffs the big boys couldn’t lose a game more than one game either.

Look at the OCC during Don James years. Not much different. They didn’t have FCS teams then because it wasn’t a thing. But tons of shit tier teams from FBS conferences with the occasional powerhouse.
    Mike a question. Do you go to games?
    All home games and most away games. Yes. Why do you ask?
    As someone who spends money going to games are you happy watching the dreck on the home schedule lately and what appears in the future?
    Like I said, it’s really not much different than it ever was.

It’s always been crap teams with an occasional powerhouse.

Really? You telling me our current scheduling is the same as it ever was? Up until a few years back we were proudly one of four teams in football never having scheduled a division down. Now it's a common occurence.
    Yes. I’m telling you it wasn’t as great as you seem to think

There's some dreck on there agreed but as you know a lot of those teams with poor records might have been decent when scheduled and have some actual football history. We are just out and out scheduling known dreck now. The philosophy has changed and it's to avoid regular season losses. My god I'd be thrilled with those schedules compared to what I'm seeing going forward.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

I was never in favor of the playoff but I did look forward to watching it when it came about. Now I find myself having to remind myself that the games are this Saturday

The playoffs put the final nail in the big bowls and winning the conference. Now they are killing themselves by being the regional playoff for a regional sport. LSU is going to curb stomp OU and the other game should be good but at the end of the day who gives a fuck? This isn't the NFL and it never will be and the more you try to make it the more you kill it. Anyone been to a minor league baseball game lately? How about a D league basketball game?

College football is celebrating 150 years. The NFL 100 and lets be real it wasn't until the 60's and Vince Lombardi that pro football arrived. 50 year sport. We? were first

We aren't.

Whatever

We disagree on this and that's okay. I don't want to wait until New Years Day for quality matchups, I want them during the regular season so I have incentive to actually show up at the stadium. Due to the nature of the current system, the big boys know they can't lose more than one game during the season so they build a schedule that minimizes the chance of regular season losses. Out of curiosity I looked at the Huskies out of conference scheduling for the next ten years. You get Ohio State and Michigan. Awesome. You also get Montana, North Dakota, Arkansas State, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Tulsa, Portland State, Nevada and Weber State. That's digraceful and a slap in the face to season ticket holders. And people wonder why the stadium is so empty. The 8 team playoff is coming and I'm loving it because it means we can actually schedule decent regular season games again. Get on it Jen.
    Before the playoffs the big boys couldn’t lose a game more than one game either.

Look at the OCC during Don James years. Not much different. They didn’t have FCS teams then because it wasn’t a thing. But tons of shit tier teams from FBS conferences with the occasional powerhouse.
    As someone who spends money going to games are you happy watching the dreck on the home schedule lately and what appears in the future?

Really? You telling me our current scheduling is the same as it ever was? Up until a few years back we were proudly one of four teams in football never having scheduled a division down. Now it's a common occurence.

There's some dreck on there agreed but as you know a lot of those teams with poor records might have been decent when scheduled and have some actual football history. We are just out and out scheduling known dreck now. The philosophy has changed and it's to avoid regular season losses. My god I'd be thrilled with those schedules compared to what I'm seeing going forward.
    Those teams with shot records were scheduled because they were shit and the equivalent of FCS teams at the time. You must have loved the Rutgers home and away agreement.... because that’s what it was in the past.

Like I said, not a ton of difference. I remember just a few years ago when uw had the top hardest schedules in the nation people were bitching about it. This was during the Sark years, which was after the BSC/playoffs started.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

If you cant see that the BCS was formed to help the SEC overtake the Pac 10 and Big 10 I can't help you

And I blame the Pac10 and Big 10 for allowing it to happen
  • Options
    Meek said:

a big part of the current playoff format is that the pollsters already have their go-to biases baked into the results that ultimately handicap their preferences throughout the entire season.

Pac12 loses an early non-conf game = Pac12 is weak
    Pac12 loses a late season conf game = that team is not good enough

SEC loses an early game = "we'll judge the entire body of work so if that team comes on strong it matters"
    SEC loses a late game = the SEC is so deep that it makes sense the top 2 teams will eventually beat up on each other but we can't punish them for that kind of scheduling.

the playoffs are exactly what Disney wanted.

So just bend over and take it? No thanks. Most fans go into a season with the deluded hope that they can win it all. If you take away my delusion then there's no reason for me to engage. Let's just save ourselves time and money and have a 3 game college season. Bama/LSU vs Oklahoma/ Texas and OSU vs Clemson. Blow up Husky stadium and rebuild the 6 hole golf course that used to straddle Montlake Cut.
  • Options

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Those teams with shot records were scheduled because they were shit and the equivalent of FCS teams at the time. You must have loved the Rutgers home and away agreement.... because that’s what it was in the past.

Like I said, not a ton of difference. I remember just a few years ago when uw had the top hardest schedules in the nation people were bitching about it. This was during the Sark years, which was after the BSC/playoffs started.
    I wasn't bitching about it. I loved it. That home game versus LSU was electric. Shit now we schedule North Dakota. Not even North Dakota State. Embarrassing.
  • Options
    Here's some additional data. Decide for yourself.
    91 Nebraska, Kansas St., Toledo
    92 Nebraska, Wisconsin, Pacific
    93 Ohio State, San Jose St., East Carolina
    94 Ohio State, Miami, San Jose St.
    95 Ohio State, Notre Dame, Army
    96 Notre Dame, BYU, San Jose State
    97 Nebraska, BYU, San Diego State
    98 Nebraska, BYU, Utah State
    99 Colorado, BYU, Air Force
    00 Miami, Colorado, Idaho
    01 Miami, Michigan, Idaho
    02 Michigan, San Jose State, Idaho
    03 Ohio State, Indiana, Idaho
    04 Notre Dame, Fresno State, San Jose State
    05 Notre Dame, Air Force, Idaho
    06 Oklahoma, Fresno State, San Jose State
    07 Ohio State, Boise State, Syracuse
    08 Oklahoma, Notre Dame, BYU
    09 LSU, Notre Dame, Idaho
    10 Nebraska, BYU, Syracuse

Think it's accurate.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whuggy said:

Meek said:

a big part of the current playoff format is that the pollsters already have their go-to biases baked into the results that ultimately handicap their preferences throughout the entire season.

Pac12 loses an early non-conf game = Pac12 is weak
    Pac12 loses a late season conf game = that team is not good enough

SEC loses an early game = "we'll judge the entire body of work so if that team comes on strong it matters"
    SEC loses a late game = the SEC is so deep that it makes sense the top 2 teams will eventually beat up on each other but we can't punish them for that kind of scheduling.

the playoffs are exactly what Disney wanted.

So just bend over and take it? No thanks. Most fans go into a season with the deluded hope that they can win it all. If you take away my delusion then there's no reason for me to engage. Let's just save ourselves time and money and have a 3 game college season. Bama/LSU vs Oklahoma/ Texas and OSU vs Clemson. Blow up Husky stadium and rebuild the 6 hole golf course that used to straddle Montlake Cut.
    DisnESPN would fuckin' love it if those were the only 3 games. They'd make even more money than they do now!! It's rather annoying the other 113 teams they need to schedule.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

I wasn't bitching about it. I loved it. That home game versus LSU was electric. Shit now we schedule North Dakota. Not even North Dakota State. Embarrassing.
    We don't wanna see the squad. Really, we don't.
    Oh shit I forgot Oregon has them next September. Could be the next big NDSU Bison victory over a Power 5 team.

Anyway, totally agree we? need better opponents; I just want nothing to do with North Dakota State in particular.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019
    I get the nostalgia, but it would be really lame to go back to the old system. If anything it needs to be 8 teams.

It would be nice to watch Oregon get smacked by Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, but I like the playoff and look forward to watching it. The last thing we need would be if Ohio State plundered them and the nonstop hypotheticals of whether Ohio State could beat Clemson or LSU. It would be even worse than the non stop playoff talk on week 4 that happens now.

It hasn’t really dampened the other bowl games to me. I was still excited about the Rose Bowl last year and will watch all the big bowl games this year.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,890
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Bowls became really diluted in the 2000s. When there were 25, it still sort of meant something to make one, although the minor ones were still a joke. If there were 25 and a four team playoff, maybe fewer sit out. What they really ought to do is just play the old bowls, then take the two highest ranked teams and have them play in some neutral stadium.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Coaches padding their win total so they don’t get fired and the fear of losing a non conference game does lessen college football. Pretending like strength of schedule matters is a joke. UW could lose by a point to Alabama and if they lost a conference game, they would be done. A win over Sacramento State would be more beneficial to your playoff chances. It’s sad.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

Coaches padding their win total so they don’t get fired and the fear of losing a non conference game does lessen college football. Pretending like strength of schedule matters is a joke. UW could lose by a point to Alabama and if they lost a conference game, they would be done. A win over Sacramento State would be more beneficial to your playoff chances. It’s sad.
    Thanks for making my point. Give me the 08 schedule every year. Lose to Oklahoma and Notre Dame by 3. Beat BYU.
    Sweep your conference. You're in with two losses and deservedly so with 8 team playoff. Also rewards teams who actually get better during the season and are playing well at the end. If people don't get that then fine I give up. This bullshit of scheduling garbage games just drives good fans like me away. So be it. Enjoy your half empty stadium.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2019

Bowls became really diluted in the 2000s. When there were 25, it still sort of meant something to make one, although the minor ones were still a joke. If there were 25 and a four team playoff, maybe fewer sit out. What they really ought to do is just play the old bowls, then take the two highest ranked teams and have them play in some neutral stadium.

This would be the “plus one” scenario of which Prophet Bannon spoke.

And he’s correct.

Unfortunately we missed our chance and fucked that up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    CaptainPJ said:

This would be the “plus one” scenario of which Prophet Bannon spoke.

And he’s correct.

Unfortunately we missed our chance and fucked that up.
    I guess since LSU and Clemson would okay each other it would fine this year. Plus one with 4 undefeated teams or 3 with one loss, or whatever, and we would have the same issues. The playoff has had the right teams in it pretty much every year.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

whuggy said:

W

whuggy said:

We aren't.

Whatever

There are now home games schedules vs Michigan. Do you have a point?