Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Would USC have hired Lake away from Pete this year to be head coach

NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited December 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
No.... but Jimmy Lake is good enough for UW. What am I missing, or maybe I’m just worn down from the expectations of Husky football and failure to deliver. I just don’t see where Jimmy has proven anything or shown that’s he’s capable of production as a head coach. If Pete turned over more things to him this season, well...

Comments

• Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 704
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    No USC knows they need a big name coach. Someone that will give an instant boost to recruiting.

Coaching is overrated. Out of Ohio State, Clemson, Bama and LSU. OSU and Clemson may be the teams that actual coach. Bama just inserts the next 5 Star and LSU does as well. I remember Saban as a HC his last two teams. He good ...he wasn’t magical.

Lake’s success will come down to recruiting. He needs to win for the guys with size and speed.
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 704
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

99/100 takes on here in the last day have been shit as fuck.

What kind of takes can you expect after a 7-5 season? The Dawgs didn’t have the horses or attitude to win big this year. Pete took some rib shots and realized he needed a standing 8 count.

Ok Jimmy ...what’s your plan?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,104
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Just in the last day?
    It was more like 9/10 before yesterday.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

USC and UW don't really go after the same coaches. Never have.

While James came here from Kent State SC was promoting J Robinson to follow McKay. Then a head coach at Arizona Larry Smith. Some NFL coordinator types. Another former head coach Paul Hackett. Then got lucky with Carroll as a 4th choice

There record doesn't exactly scream being better than our shitty record of hiring coaches.

USC would have hired Petersen if they could go back. They probably don't know who Lake is.

Nor should they. He sucks
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

How so? What’s your take?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Petersen is an amazing human being and we should all aspire to be like him. I am very sad to see him go. I've shed more than a few tears. The guy has values beyond caveman testosterone-fueled football. A true humble caring winner and a gold standard human. That's great and all, and I hope he writes a book so I can get a signed copy, but wins on the field do matter to us cross-eyed, bow-legged peasants. It does seem like he's lost his fire and he knows it. He knows exactly what this program needs and he's such a fucking amazing and humble human that he's throwing away millions so we can have it. The dude is an absolute saint.

I'm stoked for Jimmy Lake Washington. If Petersen and Cohen approve, I approve. He's 42 years old. We may be in store for a 20+ year Purple Reign. Be excited.

I was going to keep it to myself, but that's my super spicy habenero hot take.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited December 2019
    dnc said:

Petersen is an amazing human being and we should all aspire to be like him. I am very sad to see him go. I've shed more than a few tears. The guy has values beyond caveman testosterone-fueled football. A true humble caring winner and a gold standard human. That's great and all, and I hope he writes a book so I can get a signed copy, but wins on the field do matter to us cross-eyed, bow-legged peasants. It does seem like he's lost his fire and he knows it. He knows exactly what this program needs and he's such a fucking amazing and humble human that he's throwing away millions so we can have it. The dude is an absolute saint.

I'm stoked for Jimmy Lake Washington. If Petersen and Cohen approve, I approve. He's 42 years old. We may be in store for a 20+ year Purple Reign. Be excited.

This is exactly what Quooks said when Kelly left and gave them Helfrich.

I am cautiously optimistic but great coaches are generally terrible at identifying other coaches.
    What did Quooks say when Bellotti gave the program to Kelly? That seems like a more reasonable comparison. Do you think Kelly gave a shit when he left? Do you consider him a program builder?

Cohen identified Hopkins and Petersen. Hopkins had never coached either. I'd say she's batting 1.000 so far, so lets give her the benefit of the doubt without even bringing Petersen into it. Being cautious about our optimism is of course warranted, but I don't think was a lazy handover. This was a genuine head coach signing that's probably been in the works for a while (conjecture). I think Petersen's opinion should be taken into consideration also, just as much as Meyer and Stoops. He's a proven program builder and winner. I'm pretty sure he realizes what it takes to run a program and he wouldn't leave this program if it wasn't in good hands. Lake is ready and so is my body.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

dnc said:

This is exactly what Quooks said when Kelly left and gave them Helfrich.

I am cautiously optimistic but great coaches are generally terrible at identifying other coaches.
    What did Quooks say when Bellotti gave the program to Kelly? That seems like a more reasonable comparison. Do you think Kelly gave a shit when he left? Do you consider him a program builder?

Cohen identified Hopkins and Petersen. Hopkins had never coached either. I'd say she's batting 1.000 so far, so lets give her the benefit of the doubt without even bringing Petersen into it. Being cautious about our optimism is of course warranted, but I don't think was a lazy handover. This was a genuine head coach signing that's probably been in the works for a while (conjecture). I think Petersen's opinion should be taken into consideration also, just as much as Meyer and Stoops. He's a proven program builder and winner. I'm pretty sure he realizes what it takes to run a program and he wouldn't leave this program if it wasn't in good hands. Lake is ready and so is my body.
    Hopkins had been a long-time and well known assistant at Syracuse. Nobody around here knew who Jimmy Lake was a couple years ago. #1.

Quooks were freaked the fuck out when Kelly was hired because he was a nobody, and after Boise State and the Punch Heard Round the World they were in full panic mode.

Which only drives home the point even further. I can't tell you how many times I've read these words:

He's a proven program builder and winner. I'm pretty sure he realizes what it takes to run a program and he wouldn't leave this program if it wasn't in good hands.