Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Devastated. Grateful. Apprehensive.

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited December 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
Pete brought UW back. Stuff I dreamed of as an embittered, millennial youth who suffered through the horrors of the 90s and 00s. I've never had more fun watching sports than I did in 2016. I will always unabashedly love Pete. There should NOT be a statue of him somewhere near Husky Stadium someday. 
That being said, he did seem pretty burned out and generally tired.

His offenses were mediocre at best since 2012 (if you shine a magnifying glass on the 2016 offense you can poke lots and lots of holes in it too -- historically bad Oregon defense, both Stanford CBs out, complete airballs on O against USC, Bama, and zero passing game against Colorado etc). He's also aged pretty badly if you compare pictures from his iring in Dec '13 to now. 

Jimmy Lake is a huge wildcard. Statistically, CFB coaching graveyards are littered with elite coordinators who were upjumped to HC and flamed out. On a positive note, he'll be able to dial up a lot of the sizzle/flair many bemoaned Pete about. We know his defenses will be solid-to-elite (assuming -- please god in heaven -- make K our DC), but what kind of O will he let us run? There are so many fucking variables at play here that make me mostly pessimistic about this.

I always just chalked this up to a down year and a realization that we're much more Wisconsin or maybe Auburn than Clemson.

Pete is the winningest or 2nd winningest coach in CFB. Lake is a completely unknown commodity.

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pete ran up his win % against some really lousy MWC teams. Good coach, yes, 2nd best in CFB, no. Also was burned out and incapable of change. I'm not nervous about it because this season was a complete disaster and the program needed new blood. Why would anyone be nervous when Pete plateau'd and since 2016 has been in a backslide? You're only nervous if you were happy winning 9 games a year and weren't willing to risk stepping out of the routine to try and take a step forward.

Win or lose, the next two years will at least give us new shit to complain about.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Pete ran up his win % against some really lousy MWC teams. Good coach, yes, 2nd best in CFB, no. Also was burned out and incapable of change. I'm not nervous about it because this season was a complete disaster and the program needed new blood. Why would anyone be nervous when Pete plateau'd and since 2016 has been in a backslide? You're only nervous if you were happy winning 9 games a year and weren't willing to risk stepping out of the routine to try and take a step forward.

Win or lose, the next two years will at least give us new shit to complain about.

THIS!
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2019
    Cougarfs said:

Oh wow.

I guess you guys really do care a lot about the Apple cup.

I would have to agree with Cougbarfs.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Very well said @Gladstone

I'll always have tons of respect for Pete, he's quite easily the second best coach we've ever had in the modern era - sorry Gil Dobie. That said, there were plenty of frustrating games where the team just didn't have it, especially this year, and that leaves me wondering what the Petersen era could have been. None of that should overshadow the fact that Pete truly returned the program to relevance.

If Jimmy realizes the upside we think he has, Petersen handing over the reigns now will just be another feather in his cap, ala Stoops and Meyer.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Eh, I don't think many of us were resigned to the thought that this year suddenly put our ceiling at nine wins a year. Plenty of coaches have had train wreck seasons and then gone on to turn it around and resume previous success. We have plenty of examples of that in our own program. I was still optimistic that Pete could turn it back around.