Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW - Maine Gamethread

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Fuckin retards on this bored...

you called?
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 794
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I like this Tshonis guy. Good size for a PG, seems to have solid handles, good looking 3pt stroke at first pass.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tshonis looks better than Hardy.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019
    dnc said:

I hate McDaniels body language. Maybe it's just the way he carries himself but it seems like he mopes a lot, hangs his head, rolls his eyes.

I like the kid. He is a much better defender than I expected which tells me his effort and attitude are fine.

His offense is much worse than hyped but the KD comps were clearly retarded.
    Yep, he’s skilled but not a very good shooter. He’s too skinny to really do work inside too. I think he’s probably a better shooter than he’s shown, but he’s a 12-14 PPG guy and counting on more is FS. BTP did him no favors by hyping him like he did. I had a feeling that he wasn’t a great shooter like some hyped him as.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Shout out to Russ for being at the game

Why do you hate shrempf and hawes?
    Love Det. Never liked Hawes and thought he was really overrated (still pretty good). He’s a nice guy tho.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

My takes from watching in person ...

1) Offensive struggles in large part from young player issues ... cuts with purpose ... coming off screens rounded vs tight w curls ... playing with poise and in control

These issues tend to get better with film study and experience

2) Defensively good luck scoring ... the defensive length is obvious

3) This team really needs a 2nd play maker to step up ... McDaniels has a good feel for creating for others and needs to embrace that

4) Stewart is as good as advertised

5) Timmins is way more confident ... he looks like an asset

6) Quade Green reminds me of better version of Abdul Gaddy

I agree with all of this but Quade and Gaddy have very little in common other than disappointing Burger Boy status.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Tequilla said:

1) Offensive struggles in large part from young player issues ... cuts with purpose ... coming off screens rounded vs tight w curls ... playing with poise and in control

3) This team really needs a 2nd play maker to step up ... McDaniels has a good feel for creating for others and needs to embrace that

Naz says hello.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

Shout out to Russ for being at the game

Why do you hate shrempf and hawes?
    Love Det. Never liked Hawes and thought he was really overrated (still pretty good). He’s a nice guy tho.
    I'm sure other teams do this. But both were in the building last night and I gotta think that the number of NBA husky players that show up in the building has to impress potential recruits and help the current team.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Tequilla said:

Naz says hello.
    He’s a scorer, not a playmaker.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Timmons sometimes looks like a decent big. That’s been the case for two years. He still pretty much sucks. He’s a valuable reserve tho in case Stewart gets in foul trouble or the opponent has multiple bangers.
  • Options
    Roberts left handed dunk on the pick and roll was nice. He will be needed when the inevitable foul trouble game(s) limit Stewart and/or McDaniels.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    where dat replay
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Better game/team recap:

Maine sucks, equivalent of a IMA team that has a full time div2 womens basketball coach.

Defense:

The defense isnt nearly as good as many people are saying it is. It is heavily reliant on out athleting everyone across the floor. And they get away with it against teams like Maine or in openers in high school gyms in Alaska but it isnt really sustainable long term through a decent Pac12 or for a deep run into the tournament against good teams.

- When in zone, teams are regularly able to get the ball between the top and the base of the zone.
    - Hop clearly wants to play Mcdaniels across the top of the zone (logical)
    - Mcdaniels defense at the top is mediocre at stopping the interior pass to the elbow or high post and doesnt help from behind in any way like Thybulle did.
    - resorting to playing man against Maine rather rather practicing the lock down zone is not good.
    - The length is great, its covering up fundamental flaws in the defense, the middle of the zone is too easily penetrated and the defense is not collapsing correctly once the penetration has occurred. Stewart is cleaning up many of the top of the zone mistakes.

Offense:

The offense is still the same Chris Petersen Babushka offense. Park Stewart (or timmons) low block and ISO or run Horns... There are so few ball screens, which is insane to me. The team is hyper athletic, have Stewart set a ball screen for Mcdaniels or Naz. The offense is also obviously suffering because no one can just stand in the corner and be a knock down 3pt shooter to spread the floor. I think @Tequilla is also on the right track when it comes to actually executing screens for each other and coming off the screens with a purpose. There is a ton of work to be done on the offense both from a scheme and execution standpoint.

With the youth, athleticism, and size all over the floor the offense should be a motion or ball screen offense not a iso low post block offense.

Other:

- Quade is Gaddy, he has relatively low athleticism and isnt a great shooter. On a bad team is he bad, on a good team he is fine.
    - Mcdaniels does look like he has a bit of an attitude "thing". IMO he is just to used to dominating the game without really having to focus hard on team play or the little things that make people successful in high levels of play.
    - Stewart is holding things together and is incredible. Without Stewart the team would fall apart, he is doing more than his job on both the offense and the defense and looks like a great leader.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Roberts left handed dunk on the pick and roll was nice. He will be needed when the inevitable foul trouble game(s) limit Stewart and/or McDaniels.

Roberts is still the ultimate project. Dude absolutely looks the part, big, tall, athletic, and looks to be in great shape. But man he is an offensive liability at this point. Had a really bad pass to BPJ (another massive project) that was bailed out because of a foul, and got blocked by an unathletic forward on a really poorly advised and executed attempt at a hook shot. The dunk was nice and his rebounding looks good, but he needs to develop a bit more on offense to get more playing time.

I actual thought BPJs footwork looked better on offense than I saw in the past, he had a nice drop step, but was called for a pretty weak foul. Also props to him for making both his free throws, no one else could.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    OreDawg said:

Roberts is still the ultimate project. Dude absolutely looks the part, big, tall, athletic, and looks to be in great shape. But man he is an offensive liability at this point. Had a really bad pass to BPJ (another massive project) that was bailed out because of a foul, and got blocked by an unathletic forward on a really poorly advised and executed attempt at a hook shot. The dunk was nice and his rebounding looks good, but he needs to develop a bit more on offense to get more playing time.

I actual thought BPJs footwork looked better on offense than I saw in the past, he had a nice drop step, but was called for a pretty weak foul. Also props to him for making both his free throws, no one else could.
    Hardy looked like he had a nice free throw stroke, fwiw
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

Better game/team recap:

Maine sucks, equivalent of a IMA team that has a full time div2 womens basketball coach.

Defense:

The defense isnt nearly as good as many people are saying it is. It is heavily reliant on out athleting everyone across the floor. And they get away with it against teams like Maine or in openers in high school gyms in Alaska but it isnt really sustainable long term through a decent Pac12 or for a deep run into the tournament against good teams.

- When in zone, teams are regularly able to get the ball between the top and the base of the zone.
    - Hop clearly wants to play Mcdaniels across the top of the zone (logical)
    - Mcdaniels defense at the top is mediocre at stopping the interior pass to the elbow or high post and doesnt help from behind in any way like Thybulle did.
    - resorting to playing man against Maine rather rather practicing the lock down zone is not good.
    - The length is great, its covering up fundamental flaws in the defense, the middle of the zone is too easily penetrated and the defense is not collapsing correctly once the penetration has occurred. Stewart is cleaning up many of the top of the zone mistakes.

Offense:

The offense is still the same Chris Petersen Babushka offense. Park Stewart (or timmons) low block and ISO or run Horns... There are so few ball screens, which is insane to me. The team is hyper athletic, have Stewart set a ball screen for Mcdaniels or Naz. The offense is also obviously suffering because no one can just stand in the corner and be a knock down 3pt shooter to spread the floor. I think @Tequilla is also on the right track when it comes to actually executing screens for each other and coming off the screens with a purpose. There is a ton of work to be done on the offense both from a scheme and execution standpoint.

With the youth, athleticism, and size all over the floor the offense should be a motion or ball screen offense not a iso low post block offense.

Other:

- Quade is Gaddy, he has relatively low athleticism and isnt a great shooter. On a bad team is he bad, on a good team he is fine.
    - Mcdaniels does look like he has a bit of an attitude "thing". IMO he is just to used to dominating the game without really having to focus hard on team play or the little things that make people successful in high levels of play.
    - Stewart is holding things together and is incredible. Without Stewart the team would fall apart, he is doing more than his job on both the offense and the defense and looks like a great leader.

Stewart is living up to the hype