Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wisdom on tariffs.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

“For example, the supporters of tariffs treat it as self-evident that the creation of jobs is a desirable end, in and of itself, regardless of what the persons employed do. That is clearly wrong. If all we want are jobs, we can create any number--for example, have people dig holes and then fill them up again, or perform other useless tasks. Work is sometimes its own reward. Mostly, however, it is the price we pay to get the things we want. Our real objective is not just jobs but productive jobs--jobs that will mean more goods and services to consume.”
    ― Milton Friedman, Free to Choose: A Personal Statement

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-29/steel-industry-faces-a-bleaker-future-than-when-trump-moved-to-rescue-it
    Yes, and?
    Interesting info about tariffs and their unintended consequences.
    Like all government attempts to “help”
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,039
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah. Like the earned income credit? Billions and billions fraudulently paid by your government trying to help. Fake Social Security numbers, same addresses or PO Boxes used for hundreds of fraudulent returns. One of the biggest of the welfare scams.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Last I looked Chinese GDP numbers are the worst in decades and those are the "official" Beijing ones.(Though I think the trade war is only 1 contributor to a Chinese slowdown). Their consumer numbers are posting low sales and their imports of raw materials are down. They can continue to put off an actual downturn but it's going to continue to cost them long term growth.

Meanwhile, US imports have remained steady as new suppliers have expanded their market shares(Vietnam, Indonesia, India) and long term supply chains are designing China out.

Seems like a small economic drag to harm one of our major global competitors/enemies who happens to be one of the worst and most vile regimes in human history.

Wrong headed as part of the policy motivations may be I am for sanctions against the country currently violating human rights on historic scales and attempting to undermine democracy on a global level. Even more so since it will cost us very little to do so and will benefit our regional allies. Knock on effect for decoupling from the largest property bubble in human history and a hugely corrupt financial sector.

I am for free trade. Just not with fascists.

China having a weak economy doesn’t mean we are “winning”. Just the opposite actually.

Hth
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,320
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Last I looked Chinese GDP numbers are the worst in decades and those are the "official" Beijing ones.(Though I think the trade war is only 1 contributor to a Chinese slowdown). Their consumer numbers are posting low sales and their imports of raw materials are down. They can continue to put off an actual downturn but it's going to continue to cost them long term growth.

Meanwhile, US imports have remained steady as new suppliers have expanded their market shares(Vietnam, Indonesia, India) and long term supply chains are designing China out.

Seems like a small economic drag to harm one of our major global competitors/enemies who happens to be one of the worst and most vile regimes in human history.

Wrong headed as part of the policy motivations may be I am for sanctions against the country currently violating human rights on historic scales and attempting to undermine democracy on a global level. Even more so since it will cost us very little to do so and will benefit our regional allies. Knock on effect for decoupling from the largest property bubble in human history and a hugely corrupt financial sector.

China having a weak economy doesn’t mean we are “winning”. Just the opposite actually.

Hth
    I'd like to see our economy decoupled from China's, tariffs are part of that.

Them having a slow down is good realpolitik even if it's "bad" for our own economy.

Our own economy is quite capable of "winning" without China.

C'mon Damone. You know where I stand and why. Neo-liberalization failed to crack the CCP. It just turned them from poor Communists into middle income Fascists.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Hth

Them having a slow down is good realpolitik even if it's "bad" for our own economy.

C'mon Damone. You know where I stand and why. Neo-liberalization failed to crack the CCP. It just turned them from poor Communists into middle income Fascists.
    A "slowdown" yet still much higher growth than our economy.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,871
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

Hth

A "slowdown" yet still much higher growth than our economy.
    Disingenuous POTD.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Hth
    Disagree on this front. This isn’t a trade war...this is a belief war masked as trade war (or I hope it is). The targeting of Huawei has nothing to do with trade balance and everything to do with not allowing the Chinese govt to control tech going forward, and forcing Companies away from China being a single supplier of most everything.

No clue if Trump has the balls to stick with it, but Lord knows no one else has even tried up to this point.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,757
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Hth
    Disagree on this front. This isn’t a trade war...this is a belief war masked as trade war (or I hope it is). The targeting of Huawei has nothing to do with trade balance and everything to do with not allowing the Chinese govt to control tech going forward, and forcing Companies away from China being a single supplier of most everything.

No clue if Trump has the balls to stick with it, but Lord knows no one else has even tried up to this point.
    Therein lies one of the top 3 reasons why Trump got elected: The willingness to risk upsetting the global apple cart to reverse the managed decline of the US under both political parties for the past 20+ years.