Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wisdom on tariffs.

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2019 in Tug Tavern
“For example, the supporters of tariffs treat it as self-evident that the creation of jobs is a desirable end, in and of itself, regardless of what the persons employed do. That is clearly wrong. If all we want are jobs, we can create any number--for example, have people dig holes and then fill them up again, or perform other useless tasks. Work is sometimes its own reward. Mostly, however, it is the price we pay to get the things we want. Our real objective is not just jobs but productive jobs--jobs that will mean more goods and services to consume.”
― Milton Friedman, Free to Choose: A Personal Statement

Comments

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,989
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Friedman was also a huge supporter of property rights and the rule of law. You are comparing apples to dog sh*t.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Friedman was also a huge supporter of property rights and the rule of law. You are comparing apples to dog sh*t.

Huh? I posted a Friedman quote on tariffs. What am I comparing exactly?
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Jfc. Trumptard potd. You have no fucking clue what the original post means or says.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Jfc. Trumptard potd. You have no fucking clue what the original post means or says.
    Go fuck yourself El Monte.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,989
    Standard Supporter
    Friedman's comments were aimed at protectionistic tariffs. Like the Canadian, European and chicom tariffs that Trump is fighting. Hope that helps. Or find a quote were Milton supported IP theft. Milton was a brilliant man. But he was an academic. He supported the earned income credit. In practice it's just a device to steal money from the US treasury.
  • Options
    HustlinOwlHustlinOwl Member Posts: 953
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Westlin desperately wants those jobs riveting the top of ball caps back in AMERICA! Where they belong.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Westlin desperately wants those jobs riveting the top of ball caps back in AMERICA! Where they belong.

Yeah, because that’s the type of IP the Chinese are stealing
  • Options
    Trump’s “protecting” obsolete jobs and Milton Friedman advocated for stealing from the US treasury.

I’m hearing this is coming from hardworking poor people trying to catch a break.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,334

“For example, the supporters of tariffs treat it as self-evident that the creation of jobs is a desirable end, in and of itself, regardless of what the persons employed do. That is clearly wrong. If all we want are jobs, we can create any number--for example, have people dig holes and then fill them up again, or perform other useless tasks. Work is sometimes its own reward. Mostly, however, it is the price we pay to get the things we want. Our real objective is not just jobs but productive jobs--jobs that will mean more goods and services to consume.”

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-29/steel-industry-faces-a-bleaker-future-than-when-trump-moved-to-rescue-it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-29/steel-industry-faces-a-bleaker-future-than-when-trump-moved-to-rescue-it
    Yes, and?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2019

Trump’s “protecting” obsolete jobs and Milton Friedman advocated for stealing from the US treasury.

I’m hearing this is coming from hardworking poor people trying to catch a break.

Friedman suggested a negative income tax that would replace all other welfare type programs. It’s an idea worth considering.

“Stealing” from the treasury. lol. Spoken like a true statist who thinks the money in the treasury belongs to the government.
  • Options

Friedman suggested a negative income tax that would replace all other welfare type programs. It’s an idea worth considering.

“Stealing” from the treasury. lol. Spoken like a true statist who thinks the money in the treasury belongs to the government.
    Holy fuck. I was mocking Lenny from west Linn. Are you drunk off your ass again? Yes, I agree with friedman’s wisdom on tariffs and negative income tax. Calm the fuck down turbo.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Holy fuck. I was mocking Lenny from west Linn. Are you drunk off your ass again? Yes, I agree with friedman’s wisdom on tariffs and negative income tax. Calm the fuck down turbo.
    No. I’m not. Might want to quote Lenny when you “mock” him. Dipshit.
  • Options

For a sober person, you are having a very difficult time reading your own thread.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

For a sober person, you are having a very difficult time reading your own thread.
    Even for a dumbfuck I’d think you’d know how to use the quote feature
  • Options
    Trump

So you didn’t read the thread and have no clue what you’re talking about. And you’re sober. Explains everything.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Trump

So you didn’t read the thread and have no clue what you’re talking about. And you’re sober. Explains everything.
    I read it and saw you “respond” and “Mock” someone without referencing the post. Idiot.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,334

Yes, and?
    Interesting info about tariffs and their unintended consequences.