Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Terry Holliman: Do The Huskies Need a Different Kind of OKG?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

The last 3 seasons, the coaches have underachieved and mismanaged the team.

Remember when we were pissed in 2017 and 2018? Same shit as 2019.

Offense has been mismanaged since Pete took over.

There weren’t any issues with the defense. Manu continuing to play at this point is criminal.

I’m ready for Pete to simply be the CEO of the program and let the coaches coach. Give the offense way to someone new, without the Boise ties. He gets yes men and they simply do what Pete wants. We need someone who is not that.

Look at Jonathon Smith. If he got fired from the Beav he won’t), elite programs would want him as their OC. Pete was stifling Jonathon Smith. Not the other way around. We all know it, but the problem with the offense is Pete. I do think Bush sucks and should be gone, but not as a scapegoat so Pete can continue to fail.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    5-star TE/DE Darnell Washington just got ejected and punched his coach during a game this week.

He’s taking an official visit to Oregon after cutting his list to Bama, Georgia, Tennessee. This is the type of guy Petermann would never recruit. Single parent household, homeless at times.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Uncle Race happened to sneak into the practice, we talking about practice, where Stan Emptermann picked up a bench by one end and slammed it into the ground and cussed out the team and told them to get their heads out of their ass

Any coach will tell you that is so much more effective than a coach doing it

And also far more effective if your best players are doing that

That was my point with Harris and Bryant ... good players but athletically limited
    Bryant is the best player on defense. Levi is the only one even close. Maybe Molden too, but Bryant is better.
    Bryant's the "best player" by default because the balance of the roster on defense is young. He's the leader by default.

He does a lot of good things and plays about as well as one can expect given his physical stature.

When your leaders are your best players, that works far, far better.

If you are saying that Bryant is one of our best players, then perhaps the defense isn't that talented.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

The leader stuff is only said because we lose. Nick Harris on offense. Myles Bryant on defense.

We don’t have a Tebow or Tui, but most programs don’t have a “vocal leader” that fans could come up with off the top of their head.

If Nick Harris and Myles Bryant are your leaders, then you aren’t going to be good enough
    Not their fault Manu starts at ILB and we have nobody else. Not their fault Baccallia played almost every snap for most the season. Not their fault for the FS coaching decisions. They’ve done their part. Both are all conference players.

The leader of Death Row was probably Bierria. He was far from being the most talented guy on those defenses and probably was in the lower half.
    There were a ton of leaders on that defense ... Bierria was one of them.

Stop pressing
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Guy with 187 on his tape never would have been recruited by Pete, and if he were a Sark leftover Pete likely would have run his ass. That’s a fact.

This fact doesn’t preclude the fact that the coaches have blown games for us as well.

Maybe we can trade Pete for Franklin so that loser Penn St fan can have his CLEAN CUT program and I can have a big dick winner that will punch you in the face. What say you @ThomasFremont ?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The leader stuff is only said because we lose. Nick Harris on offense. Myles Bryant on defense.

We don’t have a Tebow or Tui, but most programs don’t have a “vocal leader” that fans could come up with off the top of their head.

If Nick Harris and Myles Bryant are your leaders, then you aren’t going to be good enough
    Not their fault Manu starts at ILB and we have nobody else. Not their fault Baccallia played almost every snap for most the season. Not their fault for the FS coaching decisions. They’ve done their part. Both are all conference players.

The leader of Death Row was probably Bierria. He was far from being the most talented guy on those defenses and probably was in the lower half.

Stop pressing
    By leaders you mean better players. That I agree with. Leader is mostly a bullshit term. If you play hard and are good, you’re fine. Not everyone needs to be rah rah and all of that is dumb fan talk. It’s really making something out of absolutely nothing.

If we had better players and/or Pete didn’t fuck up games, this wouldn’t even be a topic. It’s only a bullshit topic because we have lost games.

The 2016 team was still led by Browning on offense. It’s not like John Ross was the leader and was getting everyone fired up and holding everyone accountable. He held people accountable by running past the defense for TD’s.

Certain positions are seen as leaders more than others. Center on the OL, QB obviously, and MLB and safety on defense.

We need Pete to lead better by not making dumb ass decisions. And we need better players and to stop playing guys that are liabilities.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

Guy with 187 on his tape never would have been recruited by Pete, and if he were a Sark leftover Pete likely would have run his ass. That’s a fact.

This fact doesn’t preclude the fact that the coaches have blown games for us as well.

Maybe we can trade Pete for Franklin so that loser Penn St fan can have his CLEAN CUT program and I can have a big dick winner that will punch you in the face. What say you @ThomasFremont ?

I’ll pass on Franklin.

Otherwise, agree.
  • Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    imagine not wanting jerramy stevens on your football team
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Uncle Race happened to sneak into the practice, we talking about practice, where Stan Emptermann picked up a bench by one end and slammed it into the ground and cussed out the team and told them to get their heads out of their ass

This
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

And also far more effective if your best players are doing that

That was my point with Harris and Bryant ... good players but athletically limited
    Bryant is the best player on defense. Levi is the only one even close. Maybe Molden too, but Bryant is better.
    Bryant's the "best player" by default because the balance of the roster on defense is young. He's the leader by default.

He does a lot of good things and plays about as well as one can expect given his physical stature.

When your leaders are your best players, that works far, far better.

If you are saying that Bryant is one of our best players, then perhaps the defense isn't that talented.
    Nobody said the defense was talented. They are definitely not and they have holes. Has nothing to do with leaders tho.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,770
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

There weren’t any issues with the defense. Manu continuing to play at this point is criminal.

I’m ready for Pete to simply be the CEO of the program and let the coaches coach. Give the offense way to someone new, without the Boise ties. He gets yes men and they simply do what Pete wants. We need someone who is not that.

Look at Jonathon Smith. If he got fired from the Beav he won’t), elite programs would want him as their OC. Pete was stifling Jonathon Smith. Not the other way around. We all know it, but the problem with the offense is Pete. I do think Bush sucks and should be gone, but not as a scapegoat so Pete can continue to fail.
    Agree it's been horribly mismanaged. Pete's trickery and deception is the most Rhythm-Destroying aspect of his Offense.

Disagree on Smith. He was terrible. Only good year was with Tedford. So there's no evidence to support that conclusion.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

I’ll pass on Franklin.

Otherwise, agree.
    Franklin > Pete

I knew you were a racist POS
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

I’ll pass on Franklin.

Otherwise, agree.
    Franklin > Pete

Huh?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

I’ll pass on Franklin.

Otherwise, agree.
    Franklin > Pete

Huh?
    How many OKGs have dreads? Or big bowl wins?

Black power!
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

I’ll pass on Franklin.

Otherwise, agree.
    Franklin > Pete

Huh?
    How many OKGs have dreads? Or big bowl wins?

Black power!
    Franklin is bald you idiot!
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Stop pressing
    By leaders you mean better players. That I agree with. Leader is mostly a bullshit term. If you play hard and are good, you’re fine. Not everyone needs to be rah rah and all of that is dumb fan talk. It’s really making something out of absolutely nothing.

If we had better players and/or Pete didn’t fuck up games, this wouldn’t even be a topic. It’s only a bullshit topic because we have lost games.

The 2016 team was still led by Browning on offense. It’s not like John Ross was the leader and was getting everyone fired up and holding everyone accountable. He held people accountable by running past the defense for TD’s.

Certain positions are seen as leaders more than others. Center on the OL, QB obviously, and MLB and safety on defense.

We need Pete to lead better by not making dumb ass decisions. And we need better players and to stop playing guys that are liabilities.
    I agree with 81% of what you said

Rah rah is somewhat dumb fan talk ... but anybody that has played athletics of any kind in life knows that you need someone on your team to light a fire under people if/when they are going through the motions like the Stanford game. You can call out the coaches all you want on that kind of stuff but the reality is that the best motivators are the players not the coaches.

How often do you players gather on the sideline and having a player(s) getting their teammates motivated to play better? That's what I'm talking about.

I'm sure I've pissed plenty of people off in life by demanding that they play better when they are getting their ass kicked. Nobody wants to be called out. I also honestly don't care if you play better because you're pissed at your play or because you want to shove it up my ass. It's never personal on the field. Start playing better and I'll be the first person to congratulate on a game well played.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The problem with most former player’s analysis is that they don’t want to say something that will make UW or their coaches mad at them. Hugh is actually the only one that sometimes goes off on things going on in the program.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Agree it's been horribly mismanaged. Pete's trickery and deception is the most Rhythm-Destroying aspect of his Offense.

Disagree on Smith. He was terrible. Only good year was with Tedford. So there's no evidence to support that conclusion.
    Smith was terrible because he was the OC and his offenses sucked. He got away from Pete and even last year, had an offense that put up points. 30 something against Ohio State.

Bush is now terrible. The real problem is Pete. Both Smith and Bush are young yes men to Pete. I don’t think they were even given a true shot at molding the offense how they saw fit. I still want Bush gone and a new OC that commands Pete’s respect and won’t be a yes man.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited October 2019

Lambo DJ often made my boy Cliffy (James Clifford) run stairs during practice because Cliffy fucked some shit up and started fights with his own OFFENSIVE teammates. "Clifford, stairs!"

It wasn't an occasional thing, it was a regular thing

It wasn't Marcus Peters; that was intensity. Real, TUFF, intensity.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,770
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Smith was terrible because he was the OC and his offenses sucked. He got away from Pete and even last year, had an offense that put up points. 30 something against Ohio State.

Bush is now terrible. The real problem is Pete. Both Smith and Bush are young yes men to Pete. I don’t think they were even given a true shot at molding the offense how they saw fit. I still want Bush gone and a new OC that commands Pete’s respect and won’t be a yes man.
    Jury's still out. UW played 5 great quarters in a row, then Oregon stiffened in the 4th and UW stalled out. If the national polls and talking heads were remotely accurate, Oregon was supposed to be a top 10 defense, but I'm not sure how reliable that really is. When guys catch the ball, Hamdan looks okay. When guys block, the RBs do okay, and Hamdan again looks okay.

The glaring deficiencies I see are the bad play calls on 3rd down, the short yardage wildcat plays without a hard, between the tackles runner, the hurry-up handoff inside the 10, and of course, the obligatory trickery. I do think it's a David vs. Goliath mentality and I do think that's mostly Pete and his "punchers chance" or "we need a lucky-shot" mentality instead of a "we're ramming this down your throat, so open up or get crushed." Whenever Pete says "we need explosive plays," the implied message is "we can't win without explosive - or trick - plays.

The bottom line is that UW is letting every other team get inside their heads and developing a very bizarre inferiority complex that says they can't overcome mistakes and need perfect execution to win, which, to me, implies an underlying weakness of mind mentality.