Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Homebrew Haught Talk Thred

13»

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Anyone brew with chiles? One of those things I've never done, as like pumpkin beer the ones I've had usually seem to suck. But I'm currently cleaning and freezing a bushel of just-roasted Hatch Chiles, for chili verde this winter. They smell so great I'm tempted...

There's a small fest locally tomorrow, 23 breweries serving their Hatch creations, so I may head down there to die of heatstroke/look for ideas. I've used a bit of chipotle in a raspberry chocolate dessert mead, but that was to add a hint of spice to what was basically a liquid chocolate truffle. Looking for more here I think.
    Probably a terrible idea, but EWIWBI. Cheers--

I've never brewed with chilies but I like What the Hatch from No Label in Houston so you could be in for a treat. I really like their beer Don Jalapeno. I've had a handful of other decent chilie beers and a lot of duds.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Brewing tomorrow to get myself to three batches during season. Trying to decide between a blonde and an oatmeal stout.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I have gone low carb. So no beer.

@ me pussies
  • Options

Brewing tomorrow to get myself to three batches during season. Trying to decide between a blonde and an oatmeal stout.

What else do you have now? I know which of those I'd rather have in early September and which I want in November.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Standard Supporter
    Mad_Son said:

Anyone brew with chiles? One of those things I've never done, as like pumpkin beer the ones I've had usually seem to suck. But I'm currently cleaning and freezing a bushel of just-roasted Hatch Chiles, for chili verde this winter. They smell so great I'm tempted...

There's a small fest locally tomorrow, 23 breweries serving their Hatch creations, so I may head down there to die of heatstroke/look for ideas. I've used a bit of chipotle in a raspberry chocolate dessert mead, but that was to add a hint of spice to what was basically a liquid chocolate truffle. Looking for more here I think.
    Probably a terrible idea, but EWIWBI. Cheers--

I've never brewed with chilies but I like What the Hatch from No Label in Houston so you could be in for a treat. I really like their beer Don Jalapeno. I've had a handful of other decent chilie beers and a lot of duds.
    My friends came up with a pale Brett beer with papaya, Thai basil, citrus zest, and Hatch chiles. The inspiration was the amazing dish pad kra pao, which I probably have for lunch weekly. (Though sadly they didn't serve the beer kai dao, with the fried egg on top.)
    Anyway got some ideas, so we'll see how bad I can screw something up...
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Just knock back some Coors Light and some infused gummies.

While you fucks are worried about blowing up your basements, the Throbber is on a smooth ride and dicking your women in the produce section at Safeway.
  • Options

Just knock back some Coors Light and some infused gummies.

While you fucks are worried about blowing up your basements, the Throbber is on a smooth ride and dicking your women in the produce section at Safeway.

https://youtu.be/p9ZjOCSLYlc
  • Options
    StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Chico gold in Tim for EW.

I got this photo before all of you because we have sex sometimes.
    I got it before @swaye because WA is still closer than VA even at the speed of light.

Network superiority guys sez maybe not true. Priority channeling and network neutrality being blown up.
  • Options

So tell us about the chico gold.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

So tell us about the chico gold.
    I failed to keg it as I had issues kegging the English IPA and then ran out of CO2. I've made it before though and it's one of my all tim favorites. It's a cali style ale somewhere between a regular Sierra Nevada and their Torpedo. Kind of a more hoppy and full Sierra Nevada that isn't so heavy you can't drink more than a few. Real nice in the Socal weather next to the pool.
  • Options
    No beer for bitchfork. Low carb baby. Drinking them claws with the 24 year old nurses
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

No beer for bitchfork. Low carb baby. Drinking them claws with the 24 year old nurses

Weak. YKW

Nurses are horn dogs.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Putting together kegs for fest next Saturday. Oktoberfest, Porter, German Pils.
    Got nice semi-dry cider of McIntosh, Gravenstein, Northern Spy, Yarlington Mill, and a few crabapples. May even bring some wine; my Malbec that drinks like a Malbec usually goes over well.

Working on another mixed creation that tastes like a well-known drink; occasional hobby of mine. For instance I made a Mead-hattan that tastes like a Manhattan. This time I'm blending a few meads together. One with blackberry, one with bunch of botanicals mimicking vermouth, and one with sour orange, hibiscus, pomegranate. Once I got that Campari-type bitterness down, the effect is I made a blackberry Negroni, especially once I added a splash of actual gin. May need to add club soda to keg to keep people upright, or I could just bring the pain.

Oh, I see thunderstorms in the forecast. But I will bring my A Game no matter how long the delay is.
    Cheers--
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    Swaye's Wigwam

Got nice semi-dry cider of McIntosh, Gravenstein, Northern Spy, Yarlington Mill, and a few crabapples. May even bring some wine; my Malbec that drinks like a Malbec usually goes over well.

Working on another mixed creation that tastes like a well-known drink; occasional hobby of mine. For instance I made a Mead-hattan that tastes like a Manhattan. This time I'm blending a few meads together. One with blackberry, one with bunch of botanicals mimicking vermouth, and one with sour orange, hibiscus, pomegranate. Once I got that Campari-type bitterness down, the effect is I made a blackberry Negroni, especially once I added a splash of actual gin. May need to add club soda to keg to keep people upright, or I could just bring the pain.

Oh, I see thunderstorms in the forecast. But I will bring my A Game no matter how long the delay is.
    Cheers--

How's the pils? I feel like very few if any craft brewers in the US know how to make a proper euro style pils.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Cheers--

How's the pils? I feel like very few if any craft brewers in the US know how to make a proper euro style pils.
    My friend who wrote several Homebrewing books says I've got the hops down. Best Saaz and Mittelfrue I can find, substitute Liberty when necessary. I don't think he was nearly as happy with the malt.

I think it's partly a function of malt freshness. US 2-row and "pilsner malt" just aren't same. Pro friends cross the pond and pick out stuff by hand, and come pretty close. Us amateurs are stuck buying sacks that might take ages to get here, or even worse buying by the pound of indeterminate age at local or online store. Malt that is older loses some of that bread-like character and instead of tasting rich and malty it tastes basic and sweet.

I do a decoction for all malty lagers and a couple hop-forward dry ones like Pils where I don't want malt buried or it ends up like "hop juice."

When you have two styles I guess there is a tendency for interpretations to drift apart so they don't get confused. Just fyi, the two styles I refer to would be German Pils, and Czech Pils (BJCP now calls it Czech Premium Pale Lager; don't get me started.) The Czech type beer is lower carbonated, less sharp, with more prominent malt character. Might have bit of diacetyl (movie theater butter smell). Your basic Pilsner Urquell but fresh. The German style would be drier, more crisp, more hop oriented. And yes, I know it's unfair to lump them like that, but again we're talking American interpretation of European styles - Already awkward AF.

I brewed to style to improve skills until I figured things out. Now I know what I like and make Pils in between these two made-up styles. Whenever in PNW, I try to grab pFriem's version and if I can get up to B-ham, Chuckanut pils was very nice too. But I'm hardly ever in town anymore. And even then pFriem's Helles and Chuckanut Dunkel and Kolsch beat either Pils IME.
    I know - more than you asked for. I'm passionate about beer and won't apologize for it. Cheers--

TL;dr - "Beer? Upvote!"
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    Swaye's Wigwam

Cheers--

My friend who wrote several Homebrewing books says I've got the hops down. Best Saaz and Mittelfrue I can find, substitute Liberty when necessary. I don't think he was nearly as happy with the malt.

I think it's partly a function of malt freshness. US 2-row and "pilsner malt" just aren't same. Pro friends cross the pond and pick out stuff by hand, and come pretty close. Us amateurs are stuck buying sacks that might take ages to get here, or even worse buying by the pound of indeterminate age at local or online store. Malt that is older loses some of that bread-like character and instead of tasting rich and malty it tastes basic and sweet.

I do a decoction for all malty lagers and a couple hop-forward dry ones like Pils where I don't want malt buried or it ends up like "hop juice."

When you have two styles I guess there is a tendency for interpretations to drift apart so they don't get confused. Just fyi, the two styles I refer to would be German Pils, and Czech Pils (BJCP now calls it Czech Premium Pale Lager; don't get me started.) The Czech type beer is lower carbonated, less sharp, with more prominent malt character. Might have bit of diacetyl (movie theater butter smell). Your basic Pilsner Urquell but fresh. The German style would be drier, more crisp, more hop oriented. And yes, I know it's unfair to lump them like that, but again we're talking American interpretation of European styles - Already awkward AF.

I brewed to style to improve skills until I figured things out. Now I know what I like and make Pils in between these two made-up styles. Whenever in PNW, I try to grab pFriem's version and if I can get up to B-ham, Chuckanut pils was very nice too. But I'm hardly ever in town anymore. And even then pFriem's Helles and Chuckanut Dunkel and Kolsch beat either Pils IME.
    I know - more than you asked for. I'm passionate about beer and won't apologize for it. Cheers--

TL;dr - "Beer? Upvote!"
    Good shit. I drink a shit ton of Bittburger, Veltins, Jever, etc for German pils. And Pilsner Urquell is on of the top biers of all time. But I've never had a US made pils ever that tasted right. The closet is Trummer in Berkeley with their partnership with Austria.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    (sorry guys, they give out Long-Winded Asshole Message Board Poaster badges when they award you a Shitty MBA. It's out of my hands!)