Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Elephant in the room

1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
I'll have to put on the film (/Coach Pete), but what the fuck was up with all of the blitzing the MIK into the away side A gap? 100% of the time not only did this completely vacate the middle of the defense and give Eastern half their rushing yards on inside zone, but it also vacated the hook/curl zone and the inside help for the slant from the slot receiver. They abused the secondary with those quick slants and YAC starting in about the 2nd quarter, and every fucking time (IIRC), the MIK linebacker was playing patticake with Eastern's right guard and completely out of the play.

Were they TRYING to put unsound defense on tape just to entice Cal into being stupid or is this just going to be another season where blitzing anything but a safety/nickel is completely pointless? It was so ineffective, counterproductive, and done over and over again that it's a recipe for conspiracy theories.

As stated before, I'm also pretty pissed about the repeated loss of outside contain when rushing the passer. Seems like it was Bowman more often than not.

Last season, 107% of the tackles were made by linebackers. This season, the only time I heard a linebacker's name was when Tafisi killed somebody. I worried that the defensive approach would have to completely change if playing guys like Levi, Benning, and Bronson up front. No more two-gapping and letting the linebackers feast. Again, need to rewatch and see, but it sure looked like this was the case, the D-Line was one-gapping a lot more, and the linebackers were being swallowed up. Levi could be all-conference caliber, but there really needs to be a big body in there with him. More Tuli/Taimani/Bandes/Pa'ama, por favor.

Other observations:

Walk-on Vincent was a captain (I'm guessing special teams captain) and was in on kick coverage all day. Also on kickoff coverage? Chico. What a fucking stud for a starting senior WR to be manning up to cover kicks. I'd rather we not be throwing deep fades into the end zone to him, though, seeing hows he's 5'6" and all... Also, Chico blocking for Baccellia on a bubble vs. two defensive backs was a WTF moment.

Anyone else notice the wedge man on kickoff return? Bronson! Another senior stepping up and doing the dirty work. We have to have somebody back there better than McGrew to return, though. I like what he does as a back, but he's not dynamic as a returner. Ditto Fuller, as he pissed me off with one of his fair-catches.

I'm starting to wonder if part of the reason it's difficult for them to get younger receivers into the game is because personnel seems to come in as packages. For instance, only one time in the whole game were Hunter Bryant and McClatcher on the field at the same time, and it resulted in a timeout, with everyone out there looking confused, and only one was out there on the ensuing play. I'm wondering if they have different packages of plays for different personnel groupings, so subbing just one guy in is difficult and/or could fuck up the timing of the play. It might take a few weeks of integrating those guys into personnel packages before they can trust them out on the field.

One of the things I wanted to see from this game, considering it was against an FCS opponent that averages like 250 across the defensive front, was just total domination in the run game. Two to three yards of line surge on every play, wide open holes, etc. That's not at all what happened, so I'm slightly disappointed there. Losing Harris sucked, and I hope he's back for Cal, if not for the blocking/leadership, for the fact that his snaps aren't a random lottery (yikes, Mele!). But, yeah, not 100% sold on the O-line just yet.

Same goes for the defensive line. I expected them to just completely overwhelm Eastern's O-line, but that never happened. They won the battle, but Eastern's line definitely looked like they belonged.

Tafisi needs to start, full stop. Dude looks like a fire hydrant and hits like a truck.

Was the guy with the club hand Ulofoshio? If so, I want to see him get more time once he has two hands, as he looks really good out there.

The wobbly pass to Bryant that he came back for on the south sideline would have been the most wide open TD ever had Eason seen him earlier in the play. He released, and not a single Eastern player seemed to notice. He ran about 60 yards total to get over to that sideline, and at no point was there a defender within 10.

If Fuller wouldn't have gotten tied up at the LOS and made it under that 70 yard lightning bolt from God, I'm pretty sure at least 50 women in the stands would have become immediately pregnant.

Maybe 25,000 in the stands 10 minutes before kickoff, 30,000 at kickoff, and 50,000 peak. Quiet crowd, too. I'm waiting until after Cal to buy USC tickets: lose to Cal, USC tickets will be cheap and plentiful, crowd will be shit. Win at Cal, and Husky Stadium is going to be rocking for a primetime USC game, and price won't matter. Already promised my Trooj dad I'll take him, so going either way.

That's all I got.

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I'll have to put on the film (/Coach Pete), but what the fuck was up with all of the blitzing the MIK into the away side A gap? 100% of the time not only did this completely vacate the middle of the defense and give Eastern half their rushing yards on inside zone, but it also vacated the hook/curl zone and the inside help for the slant from the slot receiver. They abused the secondary with those quick slants and YAC starting in about the 2nd quarter, and every fucking time (IIRC), the MIK linebacker was playing patticake with Eastern's right guard and completely out of the play.

Were they TRYING to put unsound defense on tape just to entice Cal into being stupid or is this just going to be another season where blitzing anything but a safety/nickel is completely pointless? It was so ineffective, counterproductive, and done over and over again that it's a recipe for conspiracy theories.

As stated before, I'm also pretty pissed about the repeated loss of outside contain when rushing the passer. Seems like it was Bowman more often than not.

Last season, 107% of the tackles were made by linebackers. This season, the only time I heard a linebacker's name was when Tafisi killed somebody. I worried that the defensive approach would have to completely change if playing guys like Levi, Benning, and Bronson up front. No more two-gapping and letting the linebackers feast. Again, need to rewatch and see, but it sure looked like this was the case, the D-Line was one-gapping a lot more, and the linebackers were being swallowed up. Levi could be all-conference caliber, but there really needs to be a big body in there with him. More Tuli/Taimani/Bandes/Pa'ama, por favor.

Other observations:

Walk-on Vincent was a captain (I'm guessing special teams captain) and was in on kick coverage all day. Also on kickoff coverage? Chico. What a fucking stud for a starting senior WR to be manning up to cover kicks. I'd rather we not be throwing deep fades into the end zone to him, though, seeing hows he's 5'6" and all... Also, Chico blocking for Baccellia on a bubble vs. two defensive backs was a WTF moment.

Anyone else notice the wedge man on kickoff return? Bronson! Another senior stepping up and doing the dirty work. We have to have somebody back there better than McGrew to return, though. I like what he does as a back, but he's not dynamic as a returner. Ditto Fuller, as he pissed me off with one of his fair-catches.

I'm starting to wonder if part of the reason it's difficult for them to get younger receivers into the game is because personnel seems to come in as packages. For instance, only one time in the whole game were Hunter Bryant and McClatcher on the field at the same time, and it resulted in a timeout, with everyone out there looking confused, and only one was out there on the ensuing play. I'm wondering if they have different packages of plays for different personnel groupings, so subbing just one guy in is difficult and/or could fuck up the timing of the play. It might take a few weeks of integrating those guys into personnel packages before they can trust them out on the field.

One of the things I wanted to see from this game, considering it was against an FCS opponent that averages like 250 across the defensive front, was just total domination in the run game. Two to three yards of line surge on every play, wide open holes, etc. That's not at all what happened, so I'm slightly disappointed there. Losing Harris sucked, and I hope he's back for Cal, if not for the blocking/leadership, for the fact that his snaps aren't a random lottery (yikes, Mele!). But, yeah, not 100% sold on the O-line just yet.

Same goes for the defensive line. I expected them to just completely overwhelm Eastern's O-line, but that never happened. They won the battle, but Eastern's line definitely looked like they belonged.

Tafisi needs to start, full stop. Dude looks like a fire hydrant and hits like a truck.

Was the guy with the club hand Ulofoshio? If so, I want to see him get more time once he has two hands, as he looks really good out there.

The wobbly pass to Bryant that he came back for on the south sideline would have been the most wide open TD ever had Eason seen him earlier in the play. He released, and not a single Eastern player seemed to notice. He ran about 60 yards total to get over to that sideline, and at no point was there a defender within 10.

If Fuller wouldn't have gotten tied up at the LOS and made it under that 70 yard lightning bolt from God, I'm pretty sure at least 50 women in the stands would have become immediately pregnant.

Maybe 25,000 in the stands 10 minutes before kickoff, 30,000 at kickoff, and 50,000 peak. Quiet crowd, too. I'm waiting until after Cal to buy USC tickets: lose to Cal, USC tickets will be cheap and plentiful, crowd will be shit. Win at Cal, and Husky Stadium is going to be rocking for a primetime USC game, and price won't matter. Already promised my Trooj dad I'll take him, so going either way.

That's all I got.

yup
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,572
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Manu was much better than expected.

Eastern's oline did look good. Great size. #89? The tight end? Probably a D1 guy.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    jecornel said:

Eastern's oline did look good. Great size. #89? The tight end? Probably a D1 guy.

Ya they are all 5th and 6th year guys.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Club hand dude was ZTF
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Now that I'm building a sweet home office for the purposes of doing a YouTube channel with advanced programming and techy bullshit I feel that in a year I'll join the pood

Unfortunately I sound like a 15 year old girl voice wise.

Digits?
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Hey what's this reaction to?
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    animate said:

Hey what's this reaction to?
    The safety.
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    jecornel said:

#89? Was that the guy who had 3 bad drops?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,572
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

#89? Was that the guy who had 3 bad drops?
    Yes
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,566
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    jecornel said:

I thought Manu seemed to know where to go and what to do but the act of actually getting there and making a play was hindered by the fact that he seemed to be running in sand all day. This problem of his will be exposed more if he were to play against, say, a D1 team. Even Cal's shit offense would expose him as a weakness. A rotation of Sirmon, Welly and Tafisi is the way to go from here on out. I'm certainly no film expert but he just seemed stiff and slow.