Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Book recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,798
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Have you read this @PurpleThrobber yet? Got it for my dad last year...

That looks chinteresting...
    There are too many good books to read. I used to be a voracious reader and then tech, hi fi and kids...

Maybe I should be like you and just starting listening to them in the car.
    Wallace, ID is a funny little town if you're ever driving I-90. For decades it was the only remaining stop light on I-90 between Seattle and Boston. Up until about the mid-90's, brothels still openly operated with relatively immunity to prosecution. Uber wealthy guy named Harry Magnuson headquartered in Wallace - at one time the largest private land owner in the country.

There's a ski resort (Silver Mountain) about 5 miles down the road in Kellogg, ID. If one were so inclined, one would purchase either a condo or home there. Still pretty affordable and a kick ass ski hill with solid snow. Gondola runs straight from the parking lot on the freeway up to the lodge at the top of the hill. Hasn't been Aspened/Sun Valley'd yet.
    You can get cancer from tailings and buy a truck from Dave Smith all on one trip.
    Correctomundo.

That may explain HondoFS lead poisoning/lack of brain development. Downwinder to the Spokane Valley.

I used to fly fish a bit on the Clark Fork upstream of Boner, MT but downstream of Anaconda cuntry. My head ain't been right ever since.
    Rock Creek outside Missoula is solid too. Anything in that Bitterroot Range is pretty damned tight. Used to spend a ton of time up on a gold claim south of Superior. Pan a little gold to keep the claim active, then fish and hike and commune with nature (ie: jackoff in the woods).

You get over toward Bozeman and it's all Cali faggot wannabees.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Have you read this @PurpleThrobber yet? Got it for my dad last year...

That looks chinteresting...
    There are too many good books to read. I used to be a voracious reader and then tech, hi fi and kids...

Maybe I should be like you and just starting listening to them in the car.
    Wallace, ID is a funny little town if you're ever driving I-90. For decades it was the only remaining stop light on I-90 between Seattle and Boston. Up until about the mid-90's, brothels still openly operated with relatively immunity to prosecution. Uber wealthy guy named Harry Magnuson headquartered in Wallace - at one time the largest private land owner in the country.

There's a ski resort (Silver Mountain) about 5 miles down the road in Kellogg, ID. If one were so inclined, one would purchase either a condo or home there. Still pretty affordable and a kick ass ski hill with solid snow. Gondola runs straight from the parking lot on the freeway up to the lodge at the top of the hill. Hasn't been Aspened/Sun Valley'd yet.
    You can get cancer from tailings and buy a truck from Dave Smith all on one trip.
    Correctomundo.

That may explain HondoFS lead poisoning/lack of brain development. Downwinder to the Spokane Valley.

I used to fly fish a bit on the Clark Fork upstream of Boner, MT but downstream of Anaconda cuntry. My head ain't been right ever since.
    Rock Creek outside Missoula is solid too. Anything in that Bitterroot Range is pretty damned tight. Used to spend a ton of time up on a gold claim south of Superior. Pan a little gold to keep the claim active, then fish and hike and commune with nature (ie: jackoff in the woods).

You get over toward Bozeman and it's all Cali faggot wannabees.

Oh yeah it is. I dub stayed in a cabin up on rock crick once.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Take this shit to the Idaho Bored
  • Options

Take this shit to the Idaho Bored

Missoula, Bozeman and Superior are in Montana.

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    Just finished, outstanding

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I hear it's a great read.
  • Options

I hear it's a great read.

The Throbber is waiting for the re-release of the children's illustrated version of "Me So Horny" by 2LiveCrew.

I'm a freak in heat, a dog without warning
    My appetite is sex, 'cause me so horny
  • Options
    Fecal_MatterFecal_Matter Member Posts: 330
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Yeah, that’s a phenomenal book. Since you liked that, you would probably like “Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda.” It was written by an FBI agent who interrogated senior al-Qaeda members. It’s a a great perspective from someone who was behind the scenes.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Yeah, that’s a phenomenal book. Since you liked that, you would probably like “Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda.” It was written by an FBI agent who interrogated senior al-Qaeda members. It’s a a great perspective from someone who was behind the scenes.
    TYFYS, library had it as audiobook, it's next in the lineup.

Looming Tower certainly painted a different picture of Al Qaeda than was portrayed immediately before and after 9/11.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,563
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Heinlein is a pig but Stranger is a good book.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I may have thrown this out before, but deserves second if so.

Meticulous research.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Looming Tower certainly painted a different picture of Al Qaeda than was portrayed immediately before and after 9/11.
    @Fecal_Matter just finished Black Banners. Thank you
  • Options
    Fecal_MatterFecal_Matter Member Posts: 330
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

What did you think of it? I just remembered when I read the print version, there were some sections that had a lot of redactions. Did you listen to the book? If so, I’d be curious how that played out on audio.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

What did you think of it? I just remembered when I read the print version, there were some sections that had a lot of redactions. Did you listen to the book? If so, I’d be curious how that played out on audio.
    Yes, audiobook, and finished the last 3 hours on a drive yesterday. The wife was quite irritated with “blank said.”
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    To continue, excellent book. This is perhaps 4th I’ve read overlapping the pre & post 9/11 intel operations. The CIA does not come off well in any of them. FBI is always good or at least better guys. I’ve wondered if there’s any books of similar quality from the CIA point of view.

And fuck everyone that enhanced interrogation became a political binary issue. It didn’t work. I’m pretty disgusted with all that.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Some of my faves. Anything by Irving and Vonnegut you can pretty much just grab and go. Love those two. The Rabbit series by Updike is a good read as well. The second and third books in particular. The Abercrombie trilogy is pretty grim and bloody. Need to be in the right frame of mind. They are a weekend trilogy. Easy and satisfying.

East of Eden is the greatest novel ever written. Figures since you have @theknowledge
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    The Wheel of Time is the best fantasy series I’ve ever read. Buckle up, it’s long. Amazon TV series is beginning production this month.

The Silmarillion. Read it in advance of the new LoTR/Tolkien series Amazon is making.

Just finished The War on Normal People by Andrew Yang. Can’t recommend it enough.

First Law trilogy is on the shelf tanned ready and rested.

Currently reading Fire and Blood cuz I’m a sucker for them dragons.

Been on a real nerd bender lately...