Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Yankoff

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    None of this would be an issue if the NCAA got their shit together and clearly defined the rules on transfers
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

godawgst said:

I don't see the point of blocking a kid who was going to be 4th/5th on the QB depth chart had he stayed until the end of the year, but Pete told Yankoff if he goes to another Pac-12 school there would be no waiver granted and so that's what happened.

The point is not setting a precedent. It probably doesnt really matter with Yankoff but what if next year Puca Nacua or Cam Davis wants to go play at USC and play immediately. Well, you just let a kid do that last year, now you're telling a kid of color he has to sit out but you let the white kid do it. And then the floodgates open.
    This is really the only point that matters (though I also agree with the playbook perspective).

People can whine all they want about how unfair it is for multimillion dollar coaches to leave while kids have to sit out a year. Tough shit, that's the inherent power dynamic and it's not changing. All that matters is that a coach does what's best for his program. Incentivizing kids to leave and immediately play for a conference rival is dangerous, and it would be naive for a coach to let that happen.
    It is changing though. It's way easier to transfer now than it was ten years ago.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

There's also the possibility that Petersen doesn't like the idea of his more-complicated-than-the-plot-of-Primer offense being exported to a conference foe, packaged up neatly in a former player's skull. We may not see the point of holding back a would-be fifth string QB in terms of available playing time, but I can absolutely see the value in discouraging a player from bringing your offensive reads/cues to an opponent you'll definitely play in the course of that player's career.

Petersen thinks there's value in Eastern not knowing who the starting quarterback will be. We're supposed to think he'll just be okay with UCLA owning a copy of the playbook? This isn't petty or malicious, it's just attention to detail run amok. If another program wants to negatively recruit using this anecdote, the proper response would be, "Yeah, I hated to do that to Colson, but I was WAY more concerned at the time with the remaining 85 guys in my program winning as many games as possible. You want to come play for a coach that anal-retentively dedicated to winning?"

At this point, I think fears of avenues for negative recruiting are pretty unfounded. I don't see how it would be possible to negatively recruit against Chris Petersen. Unless the PSA in question is a kicker who can hit from 45...

Anal-retentive? Sounds hot.
    He's talking about man anal. Sounds hot to you?

Okie dokie.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

There's also the possibility that Petersen doesn't like the idea of his more-complicated-than-the-plot-of-Primer offense being exported to a conference foe, packaged up neatly in a former player's skull. We may not see the point of holding back a would-be fifth string QB in terms of available playing time, but I can absolutely see the value in discouraging a player from bringing your offensive reads/cues to an opponent you'll definitely play in the course of that player's career.

Petersen thinks there's value in Eastern not knowing who the starting quarterback will be. We're supposed to think he'll just be okay with UCLA owning a copy of the playbook? This isn't petty or malicious, it's just attention to detail run amok. If another program wants to negatively recruit using this anecdote, the proper response would be, "Yeah, I hated to do that to Colson, but I was WAY more concerned at the time with the remaining 85 guys in my program winning as many games as possible. You want to come play for a coach that anal-retentively dedicated to winning?"

At this point, I think fears of avenues for negative recruiting are pretty unfounded. I don't see how it would be possible to negatively recruit against Chris Petersen. Unless the PSA in question is a kicker who can hit from 45...

Okie dokie.
    Are you new here
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2019

Okie dokie.
    Jokes are jokes. You sound insecure about your sexuality. 11,000 posts in and you're still not dialed in to the humor of the board.
  • Options
    PetermanPeterman Member Posts: 675
    5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    George Wrighster (who?) is pussyhurt about this on the twatters
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I don't know whether enforcement of the conference rule will even result in Yankoff getting a sixth year of eligibility. But I do note that UW doesn't actually play UCLA in 2023.

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    Peterman said:

Haha. Rightster is an idiot quook.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,178
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

Life CFB Life CFB? is weird how it goes from FUCK YOU QUOOKS WE BEAT YOU FOR YANKER, to this dude is trash, thank god he's freeing up a scholarship.

So you are hanging your hat on the fact that Oregon lost out on a shitty recruit to UW?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    Peterman said:

That fuckin' idiot doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    Standard Supporter
    Just curious - anyone know who else wanted Yankoff besides Chip? Did he have a lot of options, or nah?
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Although I have to admit that I enjoyed his HS tape (and may or may not have secretly rooted for him to beat out Sirmon one day).

I also will say, that deep down I knew I never wanted someone named Yankoff to be the QB1 of my team.

Also if I remember correctly then Sirmon and Haener both have way hotter moms??
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Although I have to admit that I enjoyed his HS tape (and may or may not have secretly rooted for him to beat out Sirmon one day).

I also will say, that deep down I knew I never wanted someone named Yankoff to be the QB1 of my team.

I was rooting for him too. Through the was going to be really good. He wasn’t tho.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

I was rooting for him too. Through the was going to be really good. He wasn’t tho.
    I was rooting for him too by hoping they'd find a way to utilize his athleticism in a non-qb way.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Caple:

Prefacing his remarks by describing himself as “old school,” Petersen said that while the portal is sometimes “good for kids to go in there if they want to,” he doesn’t believe it’s good for players in the long run. His rationale: “I’ve seen too many guys, including myself, have to work through hard things where maybe (instead) you tap out, or it’s easier (to say), ‘I’m going to go somewhere elsewhere (because) I think it’s better.’ It’s usually not.”

Petersen isn’t that old school. He doesn’t think schools should be able to tell players where they can and cannot transfer, and for that reason, he can see the good in the transfer portal.

“But I do think there should be a slow-down mechanism, (instead of) everybody just going, ‘Oh, I don’t like it here.’ I’m just not into that,” Petersen said at Pac-12 Media Day, away from the podium, when I asked him about Yankoff and Sirmon. “You’re seeing all these kids got nothing now, giving up their scholarships. Be careful what you wish for. I mean, what are you doing? The quarterbacks will always be a little different, again. That’s always going to be a little different. But for most of these guys, stick it out. What are you doing?”

But if the player does decide he’d be better off somewhere else, as Yankoff did, why not just let him go? Why quibble over whether he should be immediately eligible?

“I don’t think about it like that,” Petersen said. “I think about it like that’s how it’s always been (sitting out a year) and that’s how it should be, in my opinion. I think it’s been pretty good. I don’t know. I’m just a little bit more old school in terms of all this stuff. I think we treat these guys awesome. And I know how much money is being made, and I get all that stuff. I think they’re getting a lot of great things out of going through a college program and getting an education.

“And I really mean that — an education. They don’t need to play if they don’t want to play. If they don’t like it, and they think they’re being — go get a job somewhere. And maybe I’m just too old school and haven’t changed. But I’ve come through the ranks. My dad was a JC coach, (I was) Division II non-scholarship, had nothing, took 10 years to pay off my student loans, best money I ever spent — I’ve got my story. Your story kind of creates who you are, and why you believe things, and everything I’ve seen of kids going, ‘This kid is not going to make it,’ and then I’ve seen so many kids grind through it, like, ‘Wow, that’s pretty cool.’ ”

“I think we should make a rule and stick with the rule, is what I think,” Petersen said. “And I don’t think it should be on the coaches — ‘Yeah, let’s let this guy go and not this guy.’ I think we should have a rule going, ‘This is what we’re doing.’

“You’ve got to have rules in an organization to make it run effectively. We’ve got a big one here. That’s what I think.”

There is no disputing UW and Petersen are playing by the rules, as they currently exist. Yankoff should have known this was a possibility, and the NCAA has the final say, anyway. And at the end of the day, Yankoff is a scholarship football player attending UCLA and living in Westwood. Greater injustices have occurred.

So think what you will about the decision Petersen and UW have made. The bigger issue, it seems, is that they had a say in the matter at all.

I've heard there is double the thoughts on this over in the WAM.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The real injustice is having the last name Yankoff. Peterman needs to show the kid some pity.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,040
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2019
    MisterEm said:

dtd said:

godawgst said:

I don't see the point of blocking a kid who was going to be 4th/5th on the QB depth chart had he stayed until the end of the year, but Pete told Yankoff if he goes to another Pac-12 school there would be no waiver granted and so that's what happened.

The point is not setting a precedent. It probably doesnt really matter with Yankoff but what if next year Puca Nacua or Cam Davis wants to go play at USC and play immediately. Well, you just let a kid do that last year, now you're telling a kid of color he has to sit out but you let the white kid do it. And then the floodgates open.
    The point is also to not be a petty cunt that other teams will use against you in recruiting(not that UW is struggling relative to our shit ass 12). Perception isn't everything, but it goes a long way.
    The point is not looking like a faggot after reiterating your position on the transfer policy within conference to this player, and others on the roster.

But, please... continue to wax poetically about petty cunt shit.

Apparently you've never run a business. You must work for the feds or academia where feelings and perception reign supreme.
    I get it, I do. But the doogfan screaming with righteous indignation should probably slow their roll on this one. People are stupid, we can't expect anything else but a stupid response when you pretty much ask for one. Bitch about players taking easy way out via transfer portal(has transfer QB who didn't come from portal but who lost starting gig and bailed), bitch about poaching committed recruits(poaches recruits), plays high road routine, denies 19 year old eligibility waiver. He's probably right in all these things and yet he's also still begging for the dumb fuck twitterverse to give him shit for it. The connections are not hard to make, wrong or right.

If this Yankoff script were flipped and UW had let some backup OL go to a conference team(that you play this season) and Oregon had denied the waiver for Yanker, all we'd see here would be poasts about how crystalballs was insecure, with 42 chincredibles. If someone wants to leave your program, fuck it, let em go. Again, if this were Oregon y'all(I like to say y'all cuz I live in Texas, it's what I do) would be saying they were afraid of rats leaving the ship.

And to the people who think that it doesn't matter, "handlers" and parents and HS coaches who place these kids *are* paying attention. In a vacuum does it matter for UW? No, y'all crushing the recruiting trail because people are also paying attention to all the great reasons to play school at UW. But again, it's begging for some flack. Don't be fucking pussies about it who refuse to acknowledge the other side of the coin.

Also, the NCAA still has to approve the waiver as well, and there's no fucking reason Yankoff should be eligible this year, so strategically from a PR perspective it's just stupid. He wasn't gonna get it anyway, and you just look bad. Fuck perspective precedent.

It's not a black eye, but he's got something in his teeth.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,040
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2019