Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Official Middle Aged Fitness/Fatness/Lifting Thread

1235»

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I have a diet for you... it’s called stress.

Raise 4 helluns with the help of a heffer you don’t want to be with, stressful sales manager job that doesn’t pay shit and drink a piss ton of coffee and caffeine all day every day.

Occasionally mix a weekend of non-stop day drinking and you have the makings for an excellent weight loss program.

EDIT: @creepycoug please let me know how that Indian glazed dick bacon tastes. I’m very intrigued. Kinda aroused...

Pour, shitty sales people of the world unite!!
    We can’t all be boujee, rich, and have hot wives.
    Found the perfect rower for the poor, rednecks

https://youtu.be/ZXN9zTFzWyo
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2019

Did 5 x 1000 meter pieces on the C2 this AM. 2 mins rest between each interval.

I have no idea what any of this means but it sounds like exercise.
    It's about 27 mins of exercise. 1000 meters takes around 3 mins and 40 secs at the pace I was going today.
    Swaye's Wigwam

sounds like endurance faggy shit. hit da power bro

It's interval training bruh. It's like sprinting a half mile and then walking for 2 mins. Repeat 5 times.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

It's interval training bruh. It's like sprinting a half mile and then walking for 2 mins. Repeat 5 times.
    I know what intervals are bruh. Looks like you need to shorten up your rest time.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know what intervals are bruh. Looks like you need to shorten up your rest time.
    2 mins interval is pretty standard for 1000 meter erg sprints. It's different than running.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It's about 27 mins of exercise. 1000 meters takes around 3 mins and 40 secs at the pace I was going today.
    1:50 splits for 500m? I can do that! Question for the rower gawd, have you done this one?

2000m row
    1 minute rest
    1500m row
    1 minute rest
    1000m row
    1 minute rest
    500m row

My PR for that when I had my best "rowing machine" conditioning going was 18:26, not counting the 3 minutes of rest. That shit is not easy.
    Swaye's Wigwam

1:50 splits for 500m? I can do that! Question for the rower gawd, have you done this one?

2000m row
    1 minute rest
    1500m row
    1 minute rest
    1000m row
    1 minute rest
    500m row

My PR for that when I had my best "rowing machine" conditioning going was 18:26, not counting the 3 minutes of rest. That shit is not easy.
    No. But this would be good option certainly.

For a point of reference when I was 21, I could pull 6:06 for 2000 meters. 1:31 splits. That's was about 6th best of 24 guys on the sqwad. Only 2 guys in any given year could break 6:00 for 2K.

Now they have 20 guys that can go under 6 mins (1:29 splits) for 2000 meters. Their S&C coach is so much better and they do the kind of power lifting that we never did.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So, in the last few weeks my ropeskillz seem to have gotten over the hump and hit a bunch of new milestones all at once. It's making it easier to jump rope for longer intervals now that I'm past a basic jump/boxer skip/alternate foot grind.

Some PR's I've hit.

Sustained double unders for 20 seconds. I couldn't do 1 a month ago.
    Sustained backwards jump for 30+ seconds. A month ago I could do this for about 3-5 seconds.
    Transitions between front and backwards jumping.
    Crossovers I just figured out today and can basically do them as long as I can jump. Part of what inspired this poast.

I'm starting to look like not a retard in the gym.

• GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Gwad said:

Gwad said:

Middle aged fatness fupdate that no one will care about but idgaf.

Down 20lbs since the rosebowel. 30lbs since this time last year.

Lots of Hiit jumping rope. I'm actually getting pretty good. Double unders sustained for 20 seconds at a tim now.

Regularly walking several miles a day now which helps with the soreness from jumping rope.

Have also been doing intermittent fasting but jumped from being able to do 16-24 hrs at a time to 24-72 hrs and it's surprisingly not that much harder.

Looking forward to fitting back in my wetsuit and going surfing again.

How often you fasting 72 hours?
    Completed my first 72 hr last month. Considering another one this month bc it's honestly not much harder than 48 now that I've done it(which I've done quite a few of). Will usually do a longer one after a weekend where we did a lot of eating as I can tell my body feels fed.
    What does that do? What's the effect on metabolism and all that shit?
    Well the most obvious thing is that it creates a caloric deficit. If your body burns say 2,500 calories a day, and you only have one decent meal in that timespan, you've created about a 6,500 calorie deficit. That's equivalent to more or less 8 hrs of intense cardio(which your body probably can't do in a 72 hr period unless you are in extremely good shape).

From a metabolism standpoint, there's lots of stuff going on. I'll leave it at the old thinking that your metabolism will come to a crawl is incorrect, especially if you continue to exercise. You are also probably not losing anymore muscle than that 8hrs of cardio would destroy either anyways. Your body is also going to produce HGH naturally from this as a response to stress similar to weightlifting. That's a good thing.

From a long term health perspective it's actually shown to help with hormone and blood sugar regulation, cell regeneration/regulation, prevention of cancer and cell aging, and a bunch of other stuff. Look up autophagy if you feel like going down a DDY'esque research hole.
    Yes muscle recovery from longer fasts was a pleasant surprise.
    I'm curious, what's the longest fast you have done? I'm considering doing a longer than 72 hr fast but haven't committed to it yet.
    Meh around 40 hours and it just kind of happens, like I think you said you end up just fasting longer than what you usually do. I don't tend to try and push it to any extremes but it has some interesting benefits worth exploring. Let me know how it works out for you. Definitely thinking about trying a longer one now.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

2000m row
    1 minute rest
    1500m row
    1 minute rest
    1000m row
    1 minute rest
    500m row

For a point of reference when I was 21, I could pull 6:06 for 2000 meters. 1:31 splits. That's was about 6th best of 24 guys on the sqwad. Only 2 guys in any given year could break 6:00 for 2K.

Now they have 20 guys that can go under 6 mins (1:29 splits) for 2000 meters. Their S&C coach is so much better and they do the kind of power lifting that we never did.
    That has me shaking and about to vomit. I'm not powerful enough or long limbed enough to do anything faster than 1:45 for a full 2000. And that'd be on my best day. My fastest 500 can't even touch what those boys are doing for 2000 meters.
    Swaye's Wigwam

2000m row
    1 minute rest
    1500m row
    1 minute rest
    1000m row
    1 minute rest
    500m row

That has me shaking and about to vomit. I'm not powerful enough or long limbed enough to do anything faster than 1:45 for a full 2000. And that'd be on my best day. My fastest 500 can't even touch what those boys are doing for 2000 meters.
    I never thought I’d be giving rowing machine advice to a guy named @BleachedAnusDawg but if you’re a middle aged Doog that can hold 1:45 average splits over 2000 meters it means you’re in pretty good shape. The times of 18- 22 year elite guys aren’t a relevant number to measure against.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Row a three hour marathon then pop off

Drive to Glacier Point this morning. Time rafting on the Merced River on the valley floor was postponed due to afternoon thunderstorms
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    The gym in my office is nearly complete.

Maybe I should just bring a pull up bar today and show off for the crowd
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

get some gymnastic rings to hang from that and then pop off.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Gwad said:

No
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Row a three hour marathon then pop off

Drive to Glacier Point this morning. Time rafting on the Merced River on the valley floor was postponed due to afternoon thunderstorms

Some of us have to work for a living. We all can't hang out with Aptos gym milfs and do 20,000 (about 80 to 90 mins at old guy speeds) meter erg workouts.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gwad said:

Gwad said:

Hang the big boobed accountant on the gymnastic rings and post the fucking pics.